|Miradouro back Marmoleiros
|To 4 km of Funchal, the view-point back Marmoleiros dominates, to 400 m of altitude, all the site of Funchal.
|Igreja de Nossa Senhora do Monte
|With half hidden in the trees, the white church Our Lady baroque of the Mount is preceded by a large staircase and a terrace which looks at bay.
It was high with the site of the vault built in 1470 by Adão Gonçalves Ferreira which, with his sister twins Eve, was first-born Madeira, and entirely rebuilt at the end of the 18th century. The interest of the monument is not extraordinary. Its frontage with the pediment baroque, opening of large windows and a porch with arcades, is rather decorative. The nave with the painted ceiling, the tomb of Charles of Austria (vault of left), the small treasure of the sacristy and the silver gate vault of the high altar hold only the attention.
Above high altar, the worked silver gate vault shelters a small statue of the Virgin of Monte, owner of Madeira, dressed in a cape, which is the subject of an important pilgrimage. This statue was discovered at the 15th century with Terreiro da Luta, at the place where the Virgin had appeared to a young shepherdess.
On August 14th and 15th, from the thousands of faithful from there will be requested to Monte in the basilica, and certain penitent with knees the 68 last steps cross which lead to the church; then the festival takes then more profane colors when all the brass bands of the island enter have competition.
The church of Nossa Senhora do Monte, owner of the Madeira, is also a place of pilgrimage for all. This pilgrimage is a great popular holiday which during two days transforms this romantic and picturesque village into one of the most animated places island. The typical stands of the village fairs settle in the streets and the music is everywhere. The verdeiho (dry white wine) runs obviously with floods.
|The alley which leaves the bottom of the staircase of the basilica led to the largo das Babosas and the capela da Conceição (Vault of the Immaculate Conception), built in 1906 in the style baroque. A way moving towards the east leads (1 km hardly) to the village of Choupana, surrounded by a beautiful forest of eucalyptus and an underwood of tree ferns. It passes by Curral back Romeiros, from where the glance plunges on the valley of will ribeira of João Gomês. A small road then makes it possible to go down directly from Choupana in Funchal (4 km).
|Rule of Happy and future Saint Charles I of Habsbourg
|With “back Romeiros Put” (house of the pilgrims), beside the church “Nossa Senhora do Monte”, a permanent exposure on the life of the former emperor of Austria and king de Hongrie is opened with the public.
|Coffin of Charles I of Habsbourg
|Inside the church one can visit, in a vault on the left of the nave, the tomb of Charles 1st, last emperor of Austria, deceased in 1922 with the quinta do Assembles, today renamed “Quinta Jardins do Imperador”.
|Carros of cesto
|Before the war, one reached the basilica of Monte by a puffing funicular which painfully climbed the abrupt hill (locomotive with vapor) which knew many adventures (the name of the rua do Comboio - Way-of-iron - perpetuates its memory with Funchal of it). In 1930, after 37 years of good and faithful services, the train exploded, killing several people. The exploitation was abandoned in 1943 and the material sold with scrap.
|The inhabitants travelled by the train to go up and went down again in carro of cesto, pushed by two men cords with the arm, very of white dressed and raising the traditional straw hat. Today, the groups go up. , in the coach and the toboggan became the great attraction of the surroundings of Funchal.
With the bottom of the staircases climbing with the basilica of pilgrimage, of the men in white propose to the tourists the descent on Funchal on board a tank of wicker with shoes: one of the large postcards of Madeira.
|Parque Municipal do Monte
|The Municipal Garden of Monte, or park Leite Monteiro, is a romantic garden established in 1894 and maintained very well; located at 550 m of altitude, it makes discover a superb panorama on Funchal, and a great diversity of flowers, plants and trees centenaries.
The place is of a resting freshness, thanks to a small brook which falls in cascade a little more to the south.
At the entrance of park, the fountain of the Virgin is who shelters an effigy of Nossa Senhora do Monte.
Arches of the viaduct, which one sees above this garden formerly supported the cog railway.
|Capela de Nossa Senhora da Conceição
|Close to the arrival of the cable car, a small road carries out until a planted place of plane trees where rises the vault Nossa Senhora da Conceição, built in the style baroque; the first stone was posed in 1906 and the finished vault this same year thanks to several donations of which that of queen D. Amélia who had visited Monte in 1901. Inside the vault are a fountain crowned out of marble and four stained glasses of Ricardo Leone.
Small romantic place, one discovers a view from above on the wooded valley of will ribeira of João Gomes.
|Levada da Serra do Faial
|The levada da Serra do Faial led of Monte in Santo da Serra.
|Levada back Tornos
|The levada back Tornos one of the last levadas, is completed in 1970.
|Levada do Bom Sucesso