The closed city of Dubrovnik in Croatia

HeadingsPhotographs Presentation Sections Situation Visits Culture Practical information

[Previous topics] [Home page] [Parent topics] [Next topics] [Via Gallica]

Published page

PresentationPresentation

General presentationGeneral information
Plan. Click to enlarge the image.Entirely girdled ramparts, bathed by the sea on three sides, the closed city is classified with the world heritage of UNESCO, which was worth to him to be very quickly restored after the war of independence of 1991. Its remarkable architectural unit and the wealth of its museums makes of it a stage impossible to circumvent of any voyage in Croatia. Its Mediterranean atmosphere, the charm of its lanes and its staircases, the patinated softness of its paving stones invite to the dawdling.
Tourist chart. Click to enlarge the image.Mural plan. Click to enlarge the image.

VisitsVisits

Sight since the Sky
Closed city. Click to enlarge the image.Old city. Click to enlarge the image.. Click to enlarge the image.
Closed city sight since minceta. Click to enlarge the image.The Closed City seen since the Rupe Museum. Click to enlarge the image in Fotolia (new tab).
Sight since the Sea
The closed city seen of the sea. Click to enlarge the image.
Sight since the Ramparts
Sight since northern rampart. Click to enlarge the image in Fotolia (new tab).Sight since northern rampart. Click to enlarge the image.Sight since northern rampart. Click to enlarge the image in Fotolia (new tab).
Sight since northern rampart. Click to enlarge the image in Fotolia (new tab).Sight since northern rampart. Click to enlarge the image in Fotolia (new tab).. Click to enlarge the image.
Sight since the Holy Mount Serge
Sight since mount Saint Sergius. Click to enlarge the image.Sight since mount Saint Sergius. Click to enlarge the image.
The closed city seen of the mount Saint Sergius. Click to enlarge the image.Sight since turn minceta. Click to enlarge the image.
The Large Fountain of Onofrio (Velika Onofrijeva fontana)
When one penetrates in the city closed by the west, passed the drawbridge and the Door of Pile, one finds oneself on the place Paskoja Milicevića, with, on the left, the small church Saint Saver and opposite the Large Fountain Onofrio (Velika Onofrijeva fontana) of the same time that the Door.

It is a monumental fountain with sixteen faces, surmounted by a dome. The fountain is called after the architect and Neapolitan engineer who set it up, Onofrio di Giordano della Cava. The dome was carried out by Petar Martinov of Milan.

The elevated basin where one reaches by two steps is of polygonal plan, as well as the decorated of masks and flanked median part posts; the cupola in semicircular arch with oculus was in the beginning richly decorated with sculptures with character symbolic system.

Large fountain of onofrio. Click to enlarge the image in Fotolia (new tab).Large fountain of onofrio. Click to enlarge the image in Fotolia (new tab).Fountain onofrio. Click to enlarge the image.
The Large Fountain of Onofrio was high in 1438 to mark the end of the building work a partly underground aqueduct which ensured the food of the city out of spring water of the river of Dubrovnik (Rijeka Dubrovacka), located 11.7 away km close to the village of Šumet; Raguse had spring water thus, contrary to much of Dalmatian cities which were to collect rainwater. The fountain served of tank and principal point of supply for the inhabitants.

This fountain was to perpetuate, by its architectural beauty and the murmur of its limpid water, the memory of this great technical exploit, vital importance for the Republic.

Large fountain of onofrio. Click to enlarge the image.Large fountain of onofrio. Click to enlarge the image in Fotolia (new tab).
Fountain of origin, formerly luxurious, very damaged by the earthquake of 1667, it does not remain that will mascarons them carved from where spouts out water. It however preserved its volume of origin.

Appointment of the young people, the large fountain was selected, with the small fountain of Onofrio, like decoration of the comedy “Novela od Stanca” of Sailor Držić, great author comic ragusain of the Rebirth.

Large fountain of onofrio. Click to enlarge the image in Fotolia (new tab).Large Fountain of Onofrio. Click to enlarge the image.Large Fountain of Onofrio. Click to enlarge the image.
The Monastery Saint Claire (Samostan Svete Klare)
To go in the District page of the Franciscan ones.
The Church Saint Saviour (Crkva Svetog Spasa)
To go in the District page of the Franciscan ones.
The Franciscan Monastery
To go in the District page of the Franciscan ones.
Placed
Placed (one pronounces “platsa”), of Latin “platea communis”, places common - often called Stradun (according to Italian “strada”) - is the principal artery of the medieval city of Dubrovnik, a street-place towards which converge all the perpendicular streets: it crosses Dubrovnik of west in is, connecting the two principal doors of the city, of Gradska Vrata od Pila (carries of Pile) in Vrata od Ploča (carries of Ploče), via the Place of the Cabin. Placed is a rectilinear and very broad way which is stretched on nearly 300 m length.

Placed was built as from the 12th century on the arm of the sea and the marsh which separated the two villages: in north, the continental and Croatian village, Dubrava; in the south, the insular and Roman village, on the small island on which the first city was built, Ragusinus. The street was then paved starting from 1468.

Placed. Click to enlarge the image.Placed. Click to enlarge the image in Fotolia (new tab).Placed. Click to enlarge the image in Fotolia (new tab).
Paved broad stone slabs of Brać, polished by the centuries, and bordered on each side by residences patricians, Stradun presents a very sober style baroque. It owes its remarkable architectural unit with the fast programme of rebuilding of the city, supported by the Senate of the Republic, which followed the earthquake of 1667: the authorities of the city thought town planning in a very rational way, fixing the height and the width of each building, the rhythm of the openings, a similar provision of parts, and imposing a material uniformity (white stone of Dalmatia). One is struck by the majestic simplicity of stone architecture, the architectural unit and the beautiful symmetry of his frontages baroques.

The ground floor was reserved for the various trade, which stresses well the importance of the trade for the old Republic of Raguse. All the shops adopt the style “Na koljeno”: an arch overhangs the window and carries within the same framework.

Before the seism of 1667, Stradun was bordered of luxurious palace.

Placed. Click to enlarge the image in Fotolia (new tab).Placed. Click to enlarge the image.
Placed is the main roads symbolic system of the city, that which borrow the great crowned processions, at the time of religious holidays, like that of the Saint Blaise (February 3rd). It is also the axis of the principal sewer of Dubrovnik, since the édiction of the Laws to the Measures of Hygiene at the 13th century.

With its shops, its restaurants and its terraces of coffees, this street entirely pedestrian is also the preferred place of walk of the inhabitants of Dubrovnik, especially of the young people, and the tourists come from the four corners of the world. The summer, the terraces of the coffees advance until in its medium.

Each evening, to the fallen night, the brilliant one of the paving stones gently polished by the centuries returns the light and adds to the magic of the stone.

Placed. Click to enlarge the image.Placed. Click to enlarge the image.
The Palace of the Festival
Located at the angle of the street of Sigurata, this palace typical baroque had the double function of habitat and trade. Built after the earthquake of 1667 according to the project of the architect Giulio Cerruti on the site of several medieval pieces, northern side of Placed. It is one of the first private buildings whose project was approved by decree of the Senate in the month of May 1668. Standard house, with the simple frontages with windows profiled on the floors. The ground floor directed towards Placed was divided into four stores, the doors are characteristic of all the houses of this street-place. The side entry is reserved to the inhabitants of the palace.

The interior of the building radically modified and decorated at the 18th century is identical to all the levels; it understood a hall with a staircase with two flights around of which were laid out the richly decorated rooms and rooms: mouldings of the doors, tables to the allegorical scenes with the ceiling, and the walls.

The palace was set fire to by the bombardments of 1991.

Placed. Click to enlarge the image.Palace of the Festival set fire to in 1991. Click to enlarge the image.
The Northern District of the Closed City
To go in the northern District page.
The Southern District of the Closed City
To go in southern the District page.
The Dominican Monastery
To go in the District page of the Dominicans.
The District of the Cabin
To go in the District page of the Cabin.
The Cathedral of the Assumption
To go in the District page of the Cathedral.
The District of the Jesuits
To go in the District page of the Jesuits.

History and traditionsHistory, literature, arts, traditions, legends, religions, myths, symbols…

HistoryHistory
In 1667. Click to enlarge the image.
CharactersCharacters
Saint Blaise, owner of Dubrovnik
Saint Blaise
Rule of Saint Blaise. Click to enlarge the image.With Xe century, holy Blaise (sveti Vlaho) appeared one night thinks about it of the vice-chancellor of Dubrovnik to prevent it imminence of an attack of Venice. The following day, at dawn, one distinguished indeed with far from the ships. When the fleet of Sérénissime arrived within reach of shooting of the guns installed on the ramparts of Dubrovnik, all the defenders of the city were at their station. The Venetian ones were quickly pushed back.

Since this episode, holy Blaise is the guard of Dubrovnik. He is often represented holding in the left hand a model of the city, as on the statue which rests on the furnace bridge of the church Saint Blaise. Saint Blaise takes care on Dubrovnik, from the top of ramparts which enclose the city.

Saint Blaise is omnipresent in Dubrovnik and does not add up less than 25 representations, a little everywhere in the intramural city.

InformationPractical information

General information
The old city (stari grad) is almost entirely pedestrian; it circulate there only the municipal vehicles.

Other topicsOther topics

Filiation of the topics
More detailed topics
Interactive map of the closed city of Dubrovnik in Croatia
The closed city of Dubrovnik in Croatia - District of the Franciscan ones
The closed city of Dubrovnik in Croatia - District northern
The closed city of Dubrovnik in Croatia - District of the Dominican ones
The closed city of Dubrovnik in Croatia - District of the Cabin
The closed city of Dubrovnik in Croatia - District of the Cathedral
The closed city of Dubrovnik in Croatia - District of the Jesuits
The closed city of Dubrovnik in Croatia - southern District
Close topics
Interactive map of the town of Dubrovnik in Croatia
The closed city of Dubrovnik in Croatia
Fortifications of Dubrovnik in Croatia
The modern city of Dubrovnik in Croatia
The island of Lokrum in Croatia
The Elaphites islands in Croatia
The village of Zaton in Croatia
The village of Trsteno in Croatia
Broader topics
Home page
The town of Ploče in Croatia
The town of Metković in Croatia
The town of Slivno in Croatia
The island of Korčula in Croatia
The island of Lastovo in Croatia
Peninsula of Pelješac in Croatia
The island of Mljet in Croatia
The town of Dubrovnik in Croatia
The commune of Konavle in Croatia
[Previous topics] [Parent topics] [Next topics] [Home page] [Croatia] [Via Gallica]
Search :
Search on the Web :
Recommend this page :
Recommend this site :
AlbanieAllemagneAngleterreArméniePays basqueBiélorussieBulgarieCatalogneCroatieDanemarkEspagneEstonieFinlandeFranceGalicePays de GallesGéorgieGrèceHongrieIrlandeIslandeItalieEmpire romainLettonieLithuanieMacédoineMalteNorvègePays-BasPolognePortugalRoumanieRussieSerbieSlovaquieSlovénieSuèdeTchéquieUkraïne
If you reached this frame directly, click on this link to reveal the menus.