|The Tower Saint Francis (Sveti Franjo)
|The Tower of the Corner of In Top (Gornji Ugao)
|The Gate of Town of Pile (Gradska vrata od Pila)
|The entry in the old city is done by the door of Pile (vrata od Pila), often named carries Pile (vrata Pile), imposing and superb in the North-West of the city. The door of Pile owes its name in the suburb of Pile to which she gives access.
|The whole of the doors of Pile represents a unit well strengthened, with doors multiple and defended by strong Bokar and the ditches which skirt the part external of the walls. At the main door at the Old city, on the Western side of the terrestrial ramparts, there is a bridge hones some between two Gothic arches, which were designed by the famous architect Paskoje Miličević in 1471.
|This bridge is connected to another bridge, a drawbridge of wood which can be raised and which points out the time when the city was closed the night: during the era of the republic, only the catholics were authorized to remain in the city. The drawbridge out of wooden of the Door of Pile was raised each night in large pumps during a ceremony during which one locked the doors and where the keys of the city were given to the vice-chancellor of Raguse.
|Today, the bridge spans dry ditches whose garden, decorated many orange trees and lemon trees, offers the rest away from crowd. Above bridges, on the arch of the principal footbridge of city, is, in a niche, a statue of the patron saint and guard of the city, Saint Blaise (in Croatian, Sveti Vlaho), recognizable with the model of the city which it holds in his hand. Towards the left, while following the ramparts of the eyes, one sees the imposing mass of the Minceta fortress.
|The circular tower where is bored the external door is of Renaissance style (1537), whereas the original interior door, older (1460), Gothic, is also surmounted by a statue (modern this one, carried out in 1922 by Ivan Meštrović) of the patron saint, impossible to circumvent on all the monuments of the city.
|After having passed the Gothic interior door of the Door of Pile, it is possible to borrow, immediately on the left, one of one three accesses to the ramparts of the city.
Besides the changings of the guard of the old Republic of Raguse continue to be assured in costume time during the summer (the every day of 10:00 to 12:00 and 20:00 to 22:00).
|The Fortress Lawrence (Tvrđava Lovrijenac)
|The fortress Lawrence (in Croatian Lovrijenac), often called Gibraltar of Dubrovnik, is located outside the Western walls.
|It rises with pride on a steep rock to 37 m above sea level, and majestically dominates the old city and its maritime and terrestrial accesses on the west coast, close to the door of Pile; with strong Bokar, it closes and protects more the old port of Raguse, Kalarinja.
Built with 14th and 15th century, the fortress was entirely rebuilt after the earthquake of 1667.
|The walls of the fortress turned towards the north, the west and the south-east - those which are exposed to the fire of the enemy - are extraordinarily thick (from 4 to 12 m), but, on the side of the east, mural large surface facing the city does not exceed 60 centimetres. This intelligent measure of precaution is revealing prudence and vigilance of the Republic of Raguse: if the commander of the fortress, resulting from the nobility, would have been tempted to impose itself on the city, a such tyrant, the guns of the Republic installed in the surrounding fortifications could easily destroy this wall and thwart such attempts. To make sure of their fidelity, the troops of the fortress Lawrence were raised every 30 days, and to ensure their complete fidelity, one allotted only 30 days to them of rations, when they penetrated in the fort.
|The fortress has a court in form of quadrilateral with powerful arcades.
|As the relief of the rock is unequal, the fortress has three terraces with powerful parapets, largest looking in the south towards the sea. Lovrijenac was defended by 10 large guns, largest and most famous being “the Croatian Lizard” (: guster), large special gun molten in 1537, masterpiece of the founder of guns ragusain, Ivan Rabljanin.
|Two footbridges carry out at the height, and, above the door, is engraved an inscription
“Not Bucket Pro Louse Libertas Venditur Auro” - “freedom is not sold, even for all the gold of the world”
recalling that the fortress was, lasting of the centuries, the largest defender of the freedom of Raguse.
|The fortress Lawrence posed a problem with all those which tried to endanger the freedom of the Republic, in particular with the Venetian ones. The chroniclers of Raguse noted an interesting history concerning its birth. At the beginning of the 11th century, the Venetian ones would have intended to build on the same site a large fortification, which was to ensure the superiority to them on Raguse. Ragusains discovered this intention of Venetian and immediately decided as fast as possible to build on this almost inaccessible rock a fortress to be protected from the Venetian ones. According to these chroniclers, the fortress Lawrence would have been built in three months. While approaching the coasts with their boats charged with building materials, the Venetian ones noted that Ragusains were more crafty ones and faster.
After the fall of the Republic, different functions were allotted to him: it was used as barracks during the Austrian occupation, then of hotel establishment.
|Today, the interior of the fortress Lawrence is one of the international scenes most suitable and more the appraisals in Europe for the stage performance of the one of largest literary works of all times, the Shakespearian “Hamlet”, during the Festival of summer.
Visit 8:00 at 19:30.
The fortress is visited with the ticket used for the visit of the ramparts.