The door of the port was built in 1476; it is located west of port, between the fortress Saint John and the Large Arsenal. The rampart of the city, built to the same time, connects the door of the Port to the Saint John Tower. The current street of the Vice-chancellor Damjan Juda was bored at the 15th century, when the sewerage system of the city was completed and that the construction of houses against the Western rampart of the city was prohibited.
At the bottom of the port, the part more in sight are the three enormous arcades (the fourth original arcade was walled) of a Large Arsenal built at the end of the 12th century and increased in the last part of the 15th century; it is there that were built in great secrecy and were maintained the large vessels the fleet of Raguse. The Large Arsenal was leant at the palace of the Great Council.
The Large Arsenal was almost completely destroyed in 1863 to allow the construction of a large theater of which it does not remain today that a terrace and arcades directed towards the old port: transformed in 1933 into a coffee, the coffee Gradska Kavana (Coffee of the City), and a cinema.
The port is also the shipyard oldest of the city and is always used today.
The Kaše dam was built in 1485, according to the plans of the famous engineer ragusain Paskoje Miličević, with an aim of defending the port of the enemy attacks and of protecting it from the winds of south-east and the waves. Located the Saint John fortress below, this mole slowed down the enemies, who were then taken under the heavy fire of the Saint John fortress.
This dam also made it possible to shorten the massive chain of the port which was tightened each evening between the Saint John fortress and the Tower Saint Luke. The dam was built by means of enormous rock blocks resting on foundations out of wooden.
A pleasant walk leads around the port while skirting towards the line the foot of the ramparts in the direction of the Saint John fortress. To circumvent the fortress until the end of the small pier of Porporela to see the dam which bars the entry of the port.
The door of the Fish market, built in Gothic style of 1381 to 1387, is drawn up east of Grand Arsenal. On the place located in front of this door was held, to second half of the 19th century, the fish market. Above the door, towards outside, draws up a statue of Saint Blaise in an imposing niche decorated with Gothic elements.
The Small Arsenal
Three arches of the Small Arsenal (of the 15th century), where the small ships were repaired, is a little further, east of the Door of the Market.