|The Street Gariste (Ulica Garište)|
|Just opposite the church Franciscan, on the right of Placed while looking towards the port, the street Gariste (Ulica Garište), a lane under vault, has the memory of the illegitimate children that the women came to give up in secrecy. A system of swivel, embedded in a window, now walled, made it possible to make pass the new-born baby inside the building where the nuns collected it.|
|Grand’ Street (Ulica Široka)|
|Office of the Tourist office of Dubrovnik:|
Ulica Široka, 1.
|The Palace Dordic-Maineri (Palača Đorđić-Maineri)|
|The Dordic-Maineri palace is a large palace baroque, built after the earthquake of 1667, with the corner of two important commercial streets from where several doors of stores at the ground floor. The windows of the two upper floors and the roofs have casings with ringed embossing - an exceptional decoration in Dubrovnik.|
Ulica Široka, 5.
|The House of Marin Držić (Dom Marina Držića)|
|House of the great writer and Croatian author of theater, Marine Držić (1508-1567).|
Visit: ulica Široka, 7
The every day, except Sunday, of 9:00 to 13:00
The visit, organized around recorded texts and of panels, requires the knowledge of the Croatian language.
|The Palace Stay (Palača Stay)|
|The Stay palace is the only example of semi-detached house with Dubrovnik. It is delimited by the medieval communications and respects the old compartmental plan. The palace was built in first half of the 16th century, in Renaissance style. The very high windows of the last stage confer a singular architectural type to him. The palace was damaged by the war of 1991.|
Ulica Između Polača, 9-11
|The Street of Chip (Ulica od Puča)|
|The street od Puča is the principal artery of the district located at the south of Placa; this commercial street leads until the place of the Market.|
|The Serb Greek Orthodox Church (Srpska pravoslavna crkva)|
|In the street Od Puča, the Serb Greek Orthodox Church recalls that the orthodoxe rite always counted the faithful ones in the area, even if they are very few today.|
Built according to the project of the Vecchietti architect in 1865, the orthodoxe church was devoted and completed in 1877 towards the beginning of the 20th century. Its plan is longitudinal with a projecting apse. It is an example of the eclectic architecture of second half of the 19th century.
It presents a historical and cultural collection, and a collection of icons in the close museum.
|The Museum of the Icons (Muzej Ikona)|
|The Museum of the orthodoxe church (muzej pravoslavne crkve), located beside the Serb orthodoxe church, between Ulica od Puča and Placed it, exposes icons dating from the various periods of this art from 16th to the 19th century. One can in particular observe there the differences between the Byzantine school and the Venetian school.|
The Museum of the Icons (Muzej Ikona) has, inter alia, a Russian icon-calendar (18th century), a Serb triptych of Dalmatia (18th century) and beautiful Dormition of the Virgin between twisted posts (Montenegro, 17th century).
Visit: from May to October, the every day except Sunday, of 9:00 to 13:00; from November to April, the every day except the weekend, of 9:00 to 13:00
Od Puča 8.
Paying entry: 15 kunas.
|The Martinušić Palace|
|Palace of Renaissance style, built towards the end of the 16th century, the Martinušić palace occupies the angle of the street od Puca and the street Sveti Josip towards which is directed its broadest frontage and the principal entry. The shops give on the street Od Puca. The two frontages have large rectangular windows, identical to the first and the second floor.|
By its proportions and the traditional vocabulary of its decoration, this palace remains one of the most beautiful examples of the rebirth with Raguse. With the north-western angle, on the level of the second stage, the blazon of the family is.
|The Church Saint Joseph|
|In the street od Puča, opposite the Serb orthodoxe church, the chapel Saint Joseph is, built with the site of the church Saint-Jacob (Sveti Jakov) going back to 1229, destroyed by the earthquake of 1667.|
The current church, to lengthened plan and nonprojecting apse, presents a style baroque with some elements specific to the classicism.
|The Church Saint-Domino (Crkva Svetoga Dominated)|
|In the street Od Domina, the church Saint-Domino was built with the site of an older church, going back to 1452, destroyed by the earthquake of 1667. Within sight of the crypt, this old church be a building with three naves with a rectangular apse. One of the wings, preserved, is today the sacristy of the new church Saint-Domino rebuilt at the 17th century in a style baroque.|
The low-relief of the high altar, the “Glory of All the Saints”, of the 17th century, is a work of Andrea Vaccaro.
This church is traditionally the seat of the brotherhood of the stonecutters.
|The Street of the Market (Ulica Od Rupa)|
|One reaches the oldest part of Dubrovnik, bordered by the Street Od Rupa, while assembling the steps of the Street Od Domina which continues the Street Široka.|
|The Ethnographic Museum Rupe (etnografski muzej Rupe)|
|The ethnographic Museum Rupe (etnografski Muzej Rupe) is in the Street of the Holes (Ulica od Rupa). It is lodged in the building of the old corn exchange, called Rupe (Holes) because of the grain silos dug in the rock.|
The Corn exchange is a large building of two stages dating from the 16th century, built between 1542 and 1590 and restored in 1940. Its fifteen immense grain silos dug in the rock made it possible to preserve at a constant temperature of 17.5 °C the reserves of grains of the town of Raguse; the capacity of these dry silos was, on the whole, of 1500 tons grains. One reached the silos by openings spared in the floors. A system of cords and pulleys made it possible to go up wheat.
The Corn exchange was not the only attic of Raguse: the wheat reserves were formerly vital in the event of seat and one found the traces of nine attics distributed in all the old city.
|The first stage of the museum presents a modest evocation of the rural life in Dalmatia, with a collection of usual agricultural ustensils.|
|The second stage is dedicated to the traditional costumes of the area of Dubrovnik.|
|The ground floor accommodates very refreshing exposures.|
|Visit: the every day except Sunday, from June to September, of 9:00 to 18:00; from October to May, 9:00 - 14h.|
Addresses: Ulica Od Rupa, 3.
Paying entry: 15 kunas.
|The Street od Sorte (Ulica od Šorte)|
|The Saint Mary Church|
|The convent of Bénédictines with the Saint Mary church occupies the site of the oldest fortification - Kastio (Castellum). The convent, founded at the 12th century, was transformed at the 15th century; the church is the work of the famous workshop of the Andrijić brothers. The destroyed convent, at the time of the earthquake of 1667, was restored at once. In 1806, it is removed and the unused church. Currently, this church shelters part of the archives (19th and 20th centuries); the function of convent became that of dwelling.|
|The Place Gundulić (Gundulićeva Poljana)|
|The Street od Puča, parallel with Placed, leads in the east to the Place Gundulic (Gundulićeva Poljana), vast place baroque bordered of high typical houses of the rebuilding carried out in this style after the earthquake of 1667. The place faces the Palace of the Vice-chancellor.|
|The place is dedicated to the poet Ivan (Đivo Fran) Gundulić (1589-1638), called Mačica, one of the most famous children of the town of Raguse, celebrates poet of the Rebirth whose work incarnates the main features of the catholic Counter-Reformation.|
In the middle of the place draws up with majesty the bronze statue of the poet, works of the sculptor Ivan Rendić in 1893. The low-reliefs of the pedestal tell scenes of epic poetry “Osman” written by the author.
|The picturesque market of Dubrovnik (pijaca) is held each morning on the Gundulić place.|
As of the daybreak, the old country-women of the plain of Konavle, sometimes still dressed in the traditional costume, propose on their stalls of the fruits, vegetables and fresh fish, but also of the oil of lavender flasks, of the olive oil, brandy of traditional production, the honey pots, the dried fig chains, the aromatic herb sachets…
|The Fountain of Amerling|
|Work of the beginning of the 20th century (1902), this fountain offered to the town of Dubrovnik by Mr. Amerling is located at the angle of the Gundulić place.|
The fountain is made up of a basin in the shape of shell finely decorated, posed on a twisted column. The upper part of the column supports three masks from where the drinking water flowed.
The fountain was damaged during the attacks of 1991.
|The Mosque (Džamija)|
|Ulica Miha Pracata.|