The town of Milna, island of Brač in Croatia
|“milna” means “muddy, silted up”: the alluvia brought by the waterways in bays of Pantera and Zalo, created mud accumulations and sands that the former inhabitants of Brač indicated under the general name of “millet”, mud.
Milna named Milona at the time of the Republic of Venice.
|Milna is located on the south-western coast of the island of Brač, at the bottom of a bay which gives on the Door of Split, the strait between the island of Brač and the island of Šolta which gives access to the wearing of Split.
Milna is to 18 km in the south-west of the port of ferry of Supetar which is connected several times per day to Split.
|Milna is a charming port coiled around a deep bay, with some coffees and restaurants along the port. The parish church, the strong old man and the old houses are gathered on the headland which separates the two handles which form bay of Milna. The large buildings of two stages which one sees along the quays, are the splendid residences of 18th and 19th centuries of the ship-owners and the captains of marine of Milna. Their sailing ships surfed then through all Mediterranean and the oceans.
At the northern end of the port a house is, out of stone renovated, which was formerly the commercial premise of the monks of the hermitage of Blaca, and their opening on the world.
One can throw a glance with the pretty fountain located opposite the school; it is a work of the famous sculptor of Brač, Ivan Rendić.
A monument on the sea front is dedicated to the famous poet Tin Ujević (1891-1955), in which the mother was originating in Milna.
To admire the rural architecture, one can go up on the hill, from the sea front, while borrowing the narrow streets of the old village and the paths which curve to the vines and with the olive groves.
|The Church Our Lady of the Annunciation (Crkva Gospe od Blagovijesti)
|Milna, like Bobovisća, was, at the origin, part of the parish of Nerežišća, but, the population increasing and Nerežišća being moved away, these two localities decided to separate from Nerežišća; Milna was selected to accommodate the new parish church. The small Saint Mary chapel (named in the historical sources like “ecclesia Santae Mariae Milnavi”), built by the Cerinić family, became parish church in 1646.
One century later, Milna counted approximately 500 inhabitants, and the chapel had become too small. A new church, of style baroque, was built in 1783, and was dedicated to Our Lady of the Annunciation.
One reaches the church of the Annunciation by a stone staircase; above gate, draws up, in the medium, the statue of the made Annunciation with Marie.
The interior of the church is divided into three naves by circular columns; it receives the light by the large windows located above walls of the central nave.
On the ceiling, carried out in stucco, one sees holy Clément, the martyr and patron saint of the place, God the Father and the reason for the Annunciation. The table of the “Annunciation” with a youthful archangel Gabriel and the humble figure of Marie dressed in modest clothing, account among the most beautiful tables of furnace bridge of the island of Brač; one owes it in Ricci, a Venetian painter of first half of the 18th century. From this time also two other tables go back to furnace bridge “the Virgin with saint Joseph, holy Jean, holy Pierre and holy Paul” and “Our Lady of the Rosary” with the sacraments of the rosary.
The old chapel became the sacristy of the new parish church. In this sacristy, are some invaluable works of a Venetian painter of first half of the 18th century, “Obedience of the Kings”, “Saint John the Baptist”, and others.
The sculptor of Brač, Ivan Rendić, also worked here; it is him who carried out the stone statue of saint Joseph placed on the high altar, and other monuments located in the cemetery: tomb stone of saint Thomas (Sveti Tomaš) and the chapel of the Mandinić family.
The bell-tower on the right side, with small decorative pyramids around the loggia, is registered among the typical bell-towers of the Dalmatian coast.
|The fort is a square building with a colonnade, often named by the buildings English Angliscina, or “castle”, even if it does not have such an origin: the fort was built by the noble family of Cerinić, as those which it had in Škrip and Splitska.
|The Port of Milna (Luka Milna)
|With the small port of Bobovišća, the port of Milna is most Western of the ports of the island of Brač. Located at the bottom of a deep and very narrow bay, it is also one of the most sheltered ports winds and exposed to the sun.
Besides its fishing fleet and of its shipyards, the port of Milna has a marina - with 200 stations of mooring - very appreciated yachtmen, of which much makes of Milna their starting point for the visit of the island of Brač and the area of Split.
|The Bay of Milna (Uvala Milna)
|The bay of Milna has two handles, Zalo and Pantera, where two steepsided valleys end which go down from the interior of the island. These valleys bring on bay a refreshing breeze during the hot nights of summer.
While moving towards the south-western coast of Brač, by the course of Zaglav, one meets the split of Osibova (Uvala Osibova, a deformation of Josipova, the split of Joseph). There a Gothic chapel in ruins is, as well as a more recent vault, going back to 1836, which conceals a Venetian painting of saint Joseph.
Opposite bay of Milna the small island of Mrduja (Otočić Mrduja) is. Many legends surround this small island, but the history retains that one lit fires there in full safety to guide the ships, through the narrow channel which separates the island from Brač of the island of Šolta, until their destination with the wearing of Split. Around this small island is held, since 1927, celebrates it and traditional regatta of Mrduja (Mrdujska regata).
|The Beaches (Plaže)
|Milna has a 5 km driving length littoral path with very beautiful beaches and splits such as those of Pasika and Vlaška. In the south of the port, the split of Osibova is, regarded by the local population as the cleanest place of the bathe of the island.
|The Hamlet of Pothumlje (Selo Pothumlje)
|To the locality of Milna belongs also the agricultural hamlet and of breeding of Pothumlje, located on the sunny slope of the hill of Humi. This hamlet of the 17th century is completely abandoned, but its agricultural hangars, its enclosures with cattle, its cisterns, its cellars, its ovens, its ways of rough stone and its gardens are all intact. They are of exceptional interest for the study of the authentic architecture of the island of Brač.
|The Quarry of Dragonjik (Kamenolom Dragonjik)
|On the road of Milna with Nerežišća, to 2 km after Draćevica, the quarry of Dragonjik, exploited by the Jadrankamen company is.
One can observe there the nature of the stone and the way in which it is output approximately cubic. One can buy also there small stone memories of Brač.
|The town of Milna was founded at the end of the 16th century by inhabitants of Nerežišća, around the fort and chapel built by the Cerinić family.
In the middle of the 19th century, the shipyards of Milna, in Pantera and Vlaška, produced 16 sailing ships of a total tonnage of 1328 tons to vacuum, that is to say 253 tons more than the total production of the shipyards of Split and the shipyards with Hvar, Komiza and Trogir at that time. A sailing ship of Dalmatian wood characteristic, it “will bracera” (Italian name of the island of Brač, Brazza), was created in Milna.
For the Napoleonean period, a naval battle took place in 1806 with the Door of Split, the strait opposite Milna, between the Russian ship of recognition “Aleksander” and the French who had their fort (an artillery battery) on the course of Zaglav (Rt Zaglav). Having been informed of the presence of the Russian ship in the Door of Split, the Marmont Marshal ordered with his artillery and his fleet to attack and capture the Russian ship. The inhabitants of Split informed the naval officers Russian of the intention of Marmont; as for the inhabitants of Brač, when the French left the port, they lit five fires on the hills to inform the Russians amongst enemy ships. The Russian ship demolished the French squadron and took the French battery on the course Zaglav; the place is now named Baterija (battery). The Russian ship entered in Milna and, with the most distinguished inhabitants of Brač, establishes the new power on the island. For one year whole, Milna became the capital of the island under the domination of the Russian tsar, and the port of Milna became the base of the Russian fleet in the Adriatic in 1807.
The port of Milna was the most important port of the island of Brač until the middle of the 20th century.
|Milna was formerly a very active industrial center. Milna of the 19th century was an important center of naval construction. However, this industry died out with the advent of the navy with vapor. The city was formerly a stopover on the line of steamers from Venice to Split, and was connected to the continent by ferry until 1980.
A factory of fish canning facility is still in service today.
Although the golden age of Milna is exceeded, the marina and tourism bring many summer tourists.
|Weather and forecasts
|The ferry between Split with Hvar makes stopover with Milna.
Two passages per day, lundis, mercredis and vendredis.
|Filiation of the topics
|More detailed topics
The village of Bobovišća, island of Brač in Croatia
The village of Bobovišća Na moru, island of Brač in Croatia
The village of Ložišća, island of Brač in Croatia
Interactive map of the island of Brać in Croatia
The town of Supetar, island of Brač in Croatia
The town of Postira, island of Brač in Croatia
The town of Pučišća, island of Brač in Croatia
The town of Selca, island of Brač in Croatia
The town of Bol, island of Brač in Croatia
The town of Nerežišća, island of Brač in Croatia
The town of Milna, island of Brač in Croatia
The town of Sutivan, island of Brač in Croatia
The county of Split-Dalmatie in Croatia - Booklet Dalmatian Zagora (pdf)
The county of Split-Dalmatia in Croatia - Booklet Dalmatian Zagora (pdf)
The county of Split-Dalmatia in Croatia - Booklet Islands (pdf)
The town of Split in Croatia
The Cetina river in Croatia
The town of Omiš in Croatia
The riviera of Makarska in Croatia
The natural park of Biokovo in Croatia
The island of Brač in Croatia
The island of Hvar in Croatia