The town of Nerežišća, island of Brač in Croatia

Headings[Photos] [Presentation] [Situation] [Visits] [Culture] [Practical Information] [Other topics]

[Previous topics] [Home page] [Parent topics] [Next topics] [Via Gallica]

Published page

PresentationPresentation

General presentationGeneral information
Nerežišća is a small town, of approximately 800 inhabitants, located on the island of Brač in Croatia.

Nerežišća is also a municipality which understands three localities: Donji Humac, Dračevica and Nerežišća itself. The municipality is part of the county of Split-Dalmatia.

EtymologyEtymology
The Nerežišća toponym is a name derived from the Slavic root “will nerez” which means “uncultivated land”.

Under the Republic of Venice, Nerežišća was named in Italian Neresi.

SituationSituation

Nerežišća is located inside the island of Brač, to 10 km in the south of Supetar and its port of ferry which connects Brač to the town of Split on the continent.

Nerežišća is one of the principal crossroads of the island on the D113 main roads which connect Supetar to Bol.

The city is to 382 m of altitude, on the slopes of the stone hill of Grizica, at the bottom of the old Croatian fortress of Gradac.

VisitsVisits

The town of Nerežišća (author Davor Curić). Click to enlarge the image in Flickr (new tab).Nerežišća preserved its rich history - which goes back to 1000 after J. - C. - where it was the capital of the island, a picturesque architecture. In Nerežišća, and in its surroundings, some interesting small churches with remarkable stone low-reliefs are.
The Palace of the Vice-chancellor (Knežev Dvor)
The Palace of the Vice-chancellor was on the place located opposite the current school, close to the church Our-Lady. It understood the apartments of the vice-chancellor, an office of the writings and a town hall. In 1431, a new palace was built beside old. There were a turn of the clock and a stone base, for the pole of the flag, decorated of an engraving of the winged lion of Venice. The palace disappeared but this base is preserved in the north-western angle of the place.
The Church Our-Lady-of-Mount-Carmel (Crkva Gospe od Karmela)
The church Our-Lady-of-Mount-Carmel (Adelita81 author). Click to enlarge the image in Flickr (new tab).The frontage of the church Our-Lady (author Mr. Pentax). Click to enlarge the image in Flickr (new tab).The parish church Our Lady is mentioned as of the 13th century; she was increased with 15th and 16th centuries. The old church of styles Gothic and Rebirth, took its full measurement during second half of the 18th century like building baroque. Only the central part of the frontage, with the rivet washer, and the steles of the central nave are preserved old building. Its frontage is the work of the Master I. Macanović. The characters baroques appear in the arrangement of the three shaped gates and the two decorative rivet washers on the sides.

The church Our-Lady-of-Mount-Carmel contains many works of art of value, of which the retable of “Our Lady of the Rosary” painted by C. Ridolfi (1594-1658), a pupil of Palma the Young person.

The Chapel Holy-Marguerite (Crkva Sveta Margarita)
The small chapel Holy-Marguerite probably dates from the end of the 14th century or the beginning of the 15th century.
The Chapel Saint Peter-and-Paul (Crkvica Sv. Petra I Pavla)
The chapel Saint Peter (Marijan author). Click to enlarge the image.The chapel Saint Peter-and-Paul (Bracanin author). Click to enlarge the image in Flickr (new tab).The chapel Saint Peter-and-Paul is noticed by the presence of a small pine growing between the roofing stones of the roof of its semicircular apse. This tree would be old of more than one century, but, because as of adverse conditions with its growth, preserves a small size, a such natural bonzaï.

The chapel was built at the end of the 14th century on a Romance basis, with some Gothic additions. It conceals a low-relief of stone furnace bridge representing a “Virgin with the Child”, works of the sculptor Nikola Lazanić.

The Chapel Saint-Jacob (Crkva Sveti Jakov)
In the Saint-Jacob vault, located on the old way of Dračevica, is a low-relief baroque out of white stone on a yellowish marble base. The low-relief represents the Virgin and the child with the saints Philippe and Jacques.
The Chapel Saint George
The chapel Saint George is drawn up on a rock of the hill Saint George (Brdo Jurjevo). It shelters one of most beautiful Renaissance low-reliefs the representing the young knight Georges, assembled on a horse, killing with its lance a dragon which leaves a cave. The author of this low-relief, would be a Master-sculptor of the 16th century originating in Brač, Nikola Lazanić.
The Chapel of the Holy Trinity
The chapel of the Holy Trinity is located on the right roadside of Supetar. It is much more modest than the others and was probably built at the 12th century.
The Saint Nicholas Vault
The Saint Nicholas vault, located in the cemetery, present of the Gothic characters such as the gothic arch of its Dalmatian bell-tower and its Gothic vault.
The Hermitage of Blaca (Samostan Pustinja Blaca)
Nerežišća is near the monastery of hermits of Blaca.
The Mount Vidova Gora
Nerežišća is the starting point for excursions towards the mount Vidova Gora - more the high summit of the Adriatic islands.

History and traditionsHistory, literature, arts, traditions, legends, religions, myths, symbols…

EconomyEconomy
Nerežišća is famous for its wine long tradition, its family production of foodstuffs, and its production of aromatic oils of lavender and sage.

InformationPractical information

Weather and forecasts

Other topicsOther topics

Filiation of the topics
More detailed topics
The village of Donji Humac, island of Brač in Croatia
The hermitage of Blaca, island of Brač in Croatia
The mount Vidova Gora, island of Brač in Croatia
Close topics
Interactive map of the island of Brać in Croatia
The town of Supetar, island of Brač in Croatia
The town of Postira, island of Brač in Croatia
The town of Pučišća, island of Brač in Croatia
The town of Selca, island of Brač in Croatia
The town of Bol, island of Brač in Croatia
The town of Nerežišća, island of Brač in Croatia
The town of Milna, island of Brač in Croatia
The town of Sutivan, island of Brač in Croatia
Broader topics
Home page
The county of Split-Dalmatie in Croatia - Booklet Dalmatian Zagora (pdf)
The county of Split-Dalmatia in Croatia - Booklet Dalmatian Zagora (pdf)
The county of Split-Dalmatia in Croatia - Booklet Islands (pdf)
The town of Split in Croatia
The Cetina river in Croatia
The town of Omiš in Croatia
The riviera of Makarska in Croatia
The natural park of Biokovo in Croatia
The island of Brač in Croatia
The island of Hvar in Croatia
[Previous topics] [Parent topics] [Next topics] [Home page] [Croatia] [Via Gallica]
Search :
Search on the Web :
Recommend this page :
Recommend this site :
AlbanieAllemagneAngleterreArméniePays basqueBiélorussieBulgarieCatalogneCroatieDanemarkEspagneEstonieFinlandeFranceGalicePays de GallesGéorgieGrèceHongrieIrlandeIslandeItalieEmpire romainLettonieLithuanieMacédoineMalteNorvègePays-BasPolognePortugalRoumanieRussieSerbieSlovaquieSlovénieSuèdeTchéquieUkraïne
If you reached this frame directly, click on this link to reveal the menus.