Menu of this site

The village of Splitska, island of Brač in Croatia

Published page
Headings[Photos] [Presentation] [Situation] [Visits] [Culture] [Practical Information] [Other topics]

[Previous topics] [Croatia] [Parent topics] [Next topics] [Via Gallica]


General presentationGeneral information
Splitska is a coastal village of the island of Brač in Croatia of approximately 400 inhabitants; this small port is wedged in a narrow notch of the hills.

Administratively, Splitska belongs to the commune of Supetar in the county of Split-Dalmatia.

The Splitska toponym is derived from Split, the city which faces him on the continent. The termination “- ska” means the wearing of Split. At the time Roman, the stones of the island of Brač were charged in Splitska to be transported towards Split and Salona.

In Italian Splitska names Porta di Spalato (Door of Split).


Splitska is located on the north-eastern coast of the island of Brač, on a small wrapped peaceful bay of a forest of pines.

By the regional coastal road, the port is at a distance of 7 km east of the capital of the island, Supetar, and to 3 km west of Postira.

Splitska is to 25 km of the airport of the island of Brač, and to 35 km of the famous seaside resort of Bol.

The historical village of Škrip, traditionally very related to Splitska, is to 4 km in the south, by a small road which goes up through the hills.


The church Saint Mary (Gaetano56 author). Click to enlarge the image.The bay of Splitska (Clonath author). Click to enlarge the image.Splitska is partially exposed to the wind of north so that the houses, gathered around the church and of the forts, pile up on the sunny side of the hill exposing their picturesque frontages to the sun.
The Church of the Happy Virgin Mary de Stomorina (Crkva Posvećena Blaženoj Djevici Mariji U Stomorni)
The church Saint Mary (Poljezicanin author). Click to enlarge the image.The church devoted to the Happy Virgin Mary de Stomorina (deformed of Latin Sancta Maria) was built on the foundations of an older church going back to 1228.

The new church was partly built with stones recovered at the bottom of bay: these stones, intended for the palace of Diocletian to Split, had run accidentally at the time of the loading on the ships.

The furnace bridge presents a remarkable retable, “the Virgin with the Saints”, painted in 1577 by Leandro Bassano, Venetian painter of the Rebirth.

The Castle of Cerinić
The castle of the Cerinić family was built in 1577 by Mihajlo Cerinić, noble Dalmatian of the town of Škrip, to resist the Turkish invasion. The castle is located at the center of the village; it is composed of three buildings connected to each other around a high tower of defense.

It is still in state today, and the balcony without floor, which was intended to pour ebullient oil on the attackers, is still visible.

The Port
The church Saint Mary (Clonath author). Click to enlarge the image.Splitska was the port from which the stone of the island of Brač was transported to Split for the construction of the palace of Diocletian.
The Quarry of Rasohe
The stone quarry of Rasohe is one of the career Romans from where the stone was extracted with which the palace of Diocletian to Split was built.

One can see there, engraved in the rock, a rustic representation of Hercules (Héraclès), the character and the most important demigod of the Roman epoch on Brač.

The career of Rasohe, closed down today, is located at approximately 800 m, in the direction of the valley, of the main roads which pass to Splitska; from the village, approximately 20 are needed mn to go there on foot.

History and traditionsHistory, literature, arts, traditions, legends, religions, myths, symbols…

The village was created by the Romans, who extracted the famous white stone from Brač used to build the palace of Diocletian to Split and for many other buildings in all Europe.

The first Croatian inhabitants of Splitska came from Škrip, a village located above Splitska. They renovated the old church Saint Mary (Sveta Marija), but, at the 13th century, they had to give up the village because of the threat of the pirates of Omiš who destroyed Splitska.

The danger caused by the pirates ceased in the years 1444, and Splitska was rebuilt and developed during the 16th century. The name of the village was mentioned for the first time in the years 1577, when Mihajlo Cerinić de Škrip built a small castle there.

The economic activities of Splitska are always the culture of the olive-tree and the vine, and, more and more, tourism.

InformationPractical information

Weather and forecasts
Visiting timesVisiting times
There are no hotels with Splitska but lodging is possible in private rooms and apartments.

Other topicsOther topics

Filiation of the topics
More detailed topics
Close topics
The village of Škrip, island of Brač in Croatia
The village of Splitska, island of Brač in Croatia
The village of Mirca, island of Brač in Croatia
Broader topics
Interactive map of the island of Brać in Croatia
The town of Supetar, island of Brač in Croatia
The town of Postira, island of Brač in Croatia
The town of Pučišća, island of Brač in Croatia
The town of Selca, island of Brač in Croatia
The town of Bol, island of Brač in Croatia
The town of Nerežišća, island of Brač in Croatia
The town of Milna, island of Brač in Croatia
The town of Sutivan, island of Brač in Croatia
[Previous topics] [Parent topics] [Next topics] [Home page] [Croatia] [Via Gallica]
Search on the Web
Recommend this page
Recommend this site
AlbanieAllemagneAngleterreArméniePays basqueBiélorussieBulgarieCatalogneCroatieDanemarkEspagneEstonieFinlandeFranceGalicePays de GallesGéorgieGrèceHongrieIrlandeIslandeItalieEmpire romainLettonieLithuanieMacédoineMalteNorvègePays-BasPolognePortugalRoumanieRussieSerbieSlovaquieSlovénieSuèdeTchéquieUkraïne
If you reached this frame directly, click on this link to reveal the menus.