The town of Puerto de la Cruz in Tenerife
|Puerto de la Cruz is the main tourist center in northern Tenerife. The city form with the municipalities of La Orotava, Los Realejos and more a city of 140,000 inhabitants.|
Originally, Puerto de la Cruz was not called that, but Puerto de La Orotava, because it was the port city of La Orotava which is in the hinterland. When in 1706 the town of Garachico was partly buried by lava after a volcanic eruption, Puerto de la Cruz took over and became the most important port of the northern coast of the island of Tenerife. The port of La Orotava allowed the export of wine (Canary Sack, Malvasia) to the new world. By the late nineteenth century, banana trade took off.
Then, in the late nineteenth century, the village began to receive English tourists, like many other coastal towns and villages; activity has shifted to tourism. Puerto de la Cruz was also, from 1950, the first true resort before tourists do move south of the island.
| The house Miranda (Casa Miranda)|
|Place the pond (Plaza del Charco)|
|The most pleasant part of town is the Plaza del Charco and its surroundings, the seventeenth / eighteenth century. Around the Plaza del Charco arise streets experiencing great animation at any time of day, as well as the beautiful waterfront, filled with restaurants and terraces.|
|The Church of Our Lady of the Rock of France (Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de La Peña de Francía)|
|Located at the Plaza de la Iglesia, the Church of Our Lady of Peña de Francia is the main church of Puerto de la Cruz. It dates from late seventeenth century (1697) and its interior is reputed to be one of the finest on the island.|
She keeps a blank seventeenth century, the cross which gave its name to the city and many works of art of the seventeenth and eighteenth century.
| The house Iriarte (Casa Iriarte)||Casa de Los Hermanos de La Cruz Blanca|
|The fort Saint Philip (Castillo San Felipe)|
|The fort San Felipe (El Castillo) of the seventeenth century has been converted into exhibition hall and concert.|
On its front, a bas-relief representing St. Philip and the arms of Philip IV of Spain.
El Castillo Espacio Cultural
Paseo Luis Lavaggi, 12 - Puerto de la Cruz
Telephone: 00 34922373039.
Hours: Open Monday to Saturday, 11 am to 13 pm and from 17 am to 20 pm.
| The St. Elmo hermitage (Ermita de San Telmo)|
|The Hermitage of San Telmo, patron of sailors, the eighteenth century.|
|The St. Amaro Church (Iglesia de San Amaro)|| The windy tower (Torre Ventoso)|| The house St. Fernand (Casa San Fernando)|
| The Martiánez ravine (Barranco de Martiánez)|
|The Leisure Park Martiánez (Complejo Lago Martiánez)|
|Along the coast, near the center of Puerto de La Cruz, the Lago Martiánez is probably achieve most amazing island of architecturally. The Lido or, rather, the Lago Martiánez, is a creation of the artist and architect from the nearby island of Lanzarote, Cesár Manrique.|
This artificial beach resort with restaurants and bars, an artificial lake with sea water 27,000 m³, pools the original layout, gardens and fountains, allows you to enjoy a refreshing swim or take sun in the coastal volcanic environment surrounded by lush vegetation, a few meters from a sometimes unbridled ocean.
|The Botanical Garden (Jardín Botánico)|
|Road signs indicating “Jardín Botánico” but his real name is “Jardín de Aclimatación de La Orotava." It is a real garden of acclimatization founded August 17, 1788 by order of King Charles III. This is Don Alonso de Nava y Grimon, the sixth Marquis of Villanueva del Prado who is responsible for this ambitious project while the garden designed by Nicolas Eduardo hosted the first plantings in 1792.|
His collections of tropical plants, as the Canaries as other parts of the world are remarkable with its palm trees, bromeliads, its Araceae, Moraceae his, or his dragon impressive ficus and, of course, its very common in Strelitzia island (even if south African). The garden covers 20,000 m².
Address: Calle Retama, 2 - 38400 Puerto de la Cruz
Phone: 00 34 922 383 572
Hours: Open from 9 am to 18 pm (October to March) or 19 hours (April to September).
Entrance: € 3.
|Fig Moreton Bay.|
|The Orchid Garden (Jardín de Orquideas)|
|Coming down from La Paz to Puerto de la Cruz, the road passes the Orchid Garden (Jardín de Orquideas de Sitio Litre). This garden is the former private garden of a house built in 1730. It was attended by several personalities like William Wilde (father of Oscar) and the botanist painter Marianne North and even Agatha Christie. Another famous visitor: German botanist and explorer Alexander von Humboldt.|
Jardín de Orquideas - Mansion de Sitio Litre
Phone: 00 34 922 382 417
Hours: Open from 9 am to 17 pm 30.
Entry fee: € 4.75
|The Archaeological Museum|
|The Archaeological Museum does not provide information on the origin of the aborigines of the island, the Guanches. But recreating a cave dwelling, exposing the ceramic used for domestic purposes (for cooking, transporting and serving food and drinks, keep them) and simply decorated or to adorn or for religious purposes (Figure the "guatimac”), the Museum can approach their lifestyle. Note: the reconstitution of a Guanche burial cave; this tribe practiced mummification.|
Souvenirs sold in Island businesses claim a kinship with art Guanche, including using two symbols: a spiral or a triangle itself composed of small triangles. It’s a bit short and the guides themselves are silent on these peoples who occupied the island before the arrival of the Spaniards.
Address: Calle El Lomo, 28 - Puerto de la Cruz
Phone: 00 34 922 371 465
Hours: Open Tuesday to Saturday, 10 am to 13 pm and from 17 am to 21 pm and Sunday from 10 am to 13 pm.
Entry fee: € 1.
|The Loro Park (Loro Parque)|
|The zoological and botanical garden Loro Parque has around 30 000 animals from 350 species and subspecies on a surface of over 50,000 m²; is the most visited zoo in Spain with about 1.5 million visitors each year.|
In addition to its collection of parrots of all kinds, the largest in the world, which gave it its name (“loros” in Spanish, parrots), this park offers classic shows with course parrots, but also dolphins, lions sea and especially an impressive show with killer whales in the ocean. The park carefully maintained and marked, for example invites discover an island tigers, jungle gorilla, a cave with bats, an iceberg with penguins or scrutinize sharks crossing the largest of the world’s water tunnel ! This park is popular with children who can look closely animals like the famous piranhas!
The Loro Parque is located specifically in Punta Brava. A small train takes visitors for free from Puerto de la Cruz (Plaza Reyes Catolicos).
Hours: Open 8 am 30-18: 45 pm (last entrance at 16 pm).
Entry fee: The entry fee is € 31 for an adult. There are tickets that combine Loro Parque and Siam Parque (water park).
|The beach Martiánez (Playa Martiánez)|
|To the east, the Beach Martiánez black sand is popular with surfers.|
|Garden Beach (Playa Jardín)|
|To the west, the Beach Jardín, black sand beach, pleasure zone designed by Cesár Manrique.|
| The neighborhoods of La Ranilla, of La Paz and San Telmo|
|Housing the Casa de la Aduana and the old pier, which retains its sea air, the port area is one of the historic sites of the city.|
The port became important when the port of Garachico was destroyed in 1706.
|It is found in Puerto de La Cruz archaeological remains that testify to the aboriginal presence before the conquest of the island. Once it is completed and after having established the capital at La Laguna, it ordered the construction of a port in La Orotava in 1506.|
The people of this port to commercial activities were few in the sixteenth century. Only in the beginning of the next century as Juan Antonio Franchy Lutzardo was commissioned by the City Council of La Laguna to ensure settlement, to signal the sites, build roads and a church with a place.
The construction of the parish church dedicated to Nuestra Señora de la Peña de Francia dates back to 1603.
The decline in sugar cane cultivation leads to the development of monoculture of the vine. The wine is exported directly to England, prompting English traders to settle in the city. The latter will see its importance increase with the disappearance of the port of Garachico after the volcanic eruption of 1706. The eighteenth century will thus be marked by significant urban changes and numerous public works.
The development of Santa Cruz de Tenerife and the farm crisis will push this common until the decline of tourism boom. In this sector, this county did wonders through its accumulated experience many years before all in welcoming foreign visitors for whom it already existed hotel establishments.
|The tourism office|
|Address: Calle Las Lonjas, s/n (Casa de la Aduana) - 38400 Puerto de la Cruz (Tenerife)|
Phone: 00 34 922 386 000
Fax: 00 34 922 384 769
Wifi paying Plaza del Charco (PL @ ZANET)
|Hotel Don Manolito|
|An entrenched habit among the people of Tenerife is that eating in “guachinches” typical restaurants where the most representative of traditional cuisine you can taste the dishes, among which are vegetable soups and fish terrine.|
The “vieja”, an indigenous species, is one of the most popular fish, with others such as sardines, mackerel, “cherne” and bream. In the register of meat, it is worth mentioning the meat stew and rabbit “en salmorejo”. Not forgetting the famous “papas arrugadas” (potatoes boiled in salt) served with “mojos” (sauces).
To accompany these delights, the choice will be one of the five denominations of origin of wine produced in Tenerife: Abona, Tacoronte-Acentejo, Valle de Güímar, Valle de la Orotava and Ycoden-Daute-Isora.
|Address: La Higuerita 41 E - 38400 Puerto De La Cruz|
Phone: 00 34 922 374 517
Opening periods: Closed August, Monday and Tuesday
Set meals - Carte: 25 € / 40 €
The discreet façade conceals a simple country-style interior consists of three rooms and a dining room that opens onto the village. Creative cuisine.
|Address: Richard J. Yeoward 1 E - 38400 Puerto De La Cruz|
Phone: 00 34 922 381 400
Opening periods: Closed May, Sunday and Monday
Set meals - Carte: 45 € / 55 €
The restaurant “La Parilla” offers interesting dishes.
Specialties: Regional wines.
Facilities Interesting or extensive view, rest garden, air conditioning, indoor pool, outdoor pool, outdoor tennis, lift, WiFi, parking for customers, conference rooms.
Namely: dinner only
|Address: Avenida Marqués de Villanueva del Prado E - 38400 Puerto De La Cruz|
Phone: 00 34 922 385 614
Opening periods: Closed Tuesday
Set meals - Carte: 31 € / 45 €
Establishment directed masterfully by its owner who is also the chef. It has two adjoining rooms in various styles furniture. The suggestions are the best of his card. Good Catalan cuisine.
|Address: San Felipe 16 E - 38400 Puerto De La Cruz|
Phone: 00 34 922 384 506
Opening periods: Closed 15 days June, July, Sunday and Monday noon
Meals at moderate prices - Menu: 23 € / 30 €
In a typical Canarian establishment of the eighteenth century. It has a nice patio and two floors decorated in earth tones, with abundant plants and antiques. quality table service.