|Santa Cruz de Tenerife is located in the northeast of the island of Tenerife in an area washed by the waters of the Atlantic Ocean, the city lies between the Bay of Tenerife (Bahía de Tenerife) and the Massif de Anaga.|
|Church of Our Lady of the Conception (Iglesia Nuestra Señora de la Concepción)|
|Church of the sixteenth and seventeenth century Mudejar within which one can see the wooden cross which gave its name to the city as well as banners taken to English.|
To see: the Virgen de la Consolación Gothic, the Cristo del Buen Viaje seventeenth century Genoese style clam batteries.
|The Saint Francis Church (Iglesia San Francisco)|
|Church of the seventeenth and eighteenth century. His style is baroque. Remarks: baroque altarpiece, columns and its portal.|
Address: Plaza de San Francisco.
|The Church of Our Lady of the Pillar (Iglesia del Pilar)|
|Church of the eighteenth century. Remarks: Its baroque altarpiece and the Virgen de las Angustias.|
|The St. Elmo hermitage (Ermita de San Telmo)|
|Hermitage of the fifteenth century, maintained by the Corporation des Marins. Remarks: the Mudejar paneling, the Renaissance altarpiece, the black stone carved portal.|
|The hermitage of the Virgin of Regla (Ermita de la Virgen de Regla)|
|Hermitage of the eighteenth century. Dedicated to the Virgin of Guadalupe and also to the Virgin of Regla.|
|The Museum of Fine Arts (Museo de Bellas Artes)|
|The Municipal Museum of Fine Arts hosts mostly paintings by artists of the Canary Islands and the Iberian Peninsula from the seventeenth, eighteenth and nineteenth century.|
Address: Calle José Murphy, 12; Phone: 00 34 922 244 358
|The Municipal Park García Sanabria (Parque Municipal García Sanabria)|
|The Municipal Park García Sanabria is a botanical garden created in 1926. It extends over 55,000 m² and features a sample of all the vegetation of the Canaries.|
|The Spanish (Plaza de España)|
|The Spanish, with its center in the memorial of the Spanish Civil War.|
|Square of the Candlemas (Plaza de la Candelaria)|
|The place of Candelaria is the oldest square in the city. There is the monument to the Virgin of Candelaria also called “Triunfo de la Candelaria” (triumph) neoclassical style, which represents the apparition of the Virgin to the Guanches.|
|Square Weyler (Plaza Weyler)|
|The Military Museum (Museo Militar)|
|The Military Museum is located in the Castillo de Paso Alto. You can see the cannon El Tigre which Admiral Nelson had his right arm mutilation in 1797 ...|
Address: Calle San Isidro, 1, in the Castillo de Almeida; Phone: 00 34 922 843 500
|The Museum of Nature and Man (Museo de la Naturaleza y el Hombre)|
|The Museum of Nature and Man is housed in a beautiful neo-classic building. You can see many objects from the time of the Guanches.|
The Museum is located in the old Civil Hospital; his style is neoclassical.
The museum offers two options:
- the “natural sciences” course. You will discover the fauna, flora and minerals of the Canaries.
- the “Archaeology” course. You will discover the people of the Guanches (the original inhabitants of the Canary Islands). One can admire various objects, such as ceramics and leather or wooden utensils. But the centerpiece of the museum are two mummies and a mummified fetus.
Address: Calle Fuente Morales
Phone: 00 34 922 535 816
|The palace Carta (Palacio de Carta)|
|This building dating from the eighteenth century is a mixture of baroque and neoclassical styles. The most outstanding elements are its balconies and the typical interior patio of the Canarian architecture. Captain Matías Rodríguez Carta ordered its construction.|
We clearly note in the Canarian architecture a mix of cultures that gave rise to the colonial style.
Plaza de la Candelaria, s / n 38003 Santa Cruz de Tenerife (Tenerife)
Timetables: Only the exterior of the monument can be visited.
|The palace Martí Dehesa|
|His style is modernist. It is the seat of the Government of the Canaries.|
Located Plaza de los Patos.
|The auditorium of Tenerife (Auditorio de Tenerife)|
|The Auditorium is located in the Cabo de Llanos and was designed by Santiago Calatrava in 2003. It includes the auditorium hall (1600 persons), conference room (428 people) and other performing arts. Remarks: the Hall of Cámara (used by the Symphony Orchestra of the Canary Islands.|
|The Town Hall (Ayuntamiento)|
|The Town Hall (Calle Vieira y Clavija): Modernist palace also called the Palace of Dragos because of two dragon on each side of the entrance.|
|Santa Cruz de Tenerife is also one of the most important ports in Spain.|
|At the time of the Guanches, Santa Cruz de Tenerife was part of the kingdom of Anaga. The island of Tenerife was located so so perfect on the way to the New World that the Spaniards in the conquest of America did not want to leave this earth longer the hands of the natives.|
Having already conquered the other islands of the Canary Islands, the Andalusian Alonso Fernández de Lugo landed in 1494 in the Bahía de Ananza. He built the fort Agaete who became his base during his fight against the Guanches. Only after two years he managed to submit the first inhabitants of the island. In victory he erected a wooden cross which gave its name to the city.
In the early sixteenth century, already appeared the first traces of its streets, however, she began to start as a town in the eighteenth century, fundamentally, thanks to commercial development as its port gradually acquired which led to the result that, in 1723, the ’Major state was established there.
During the sixteenth century the economic rise of the important port city on the road to the Americas was further strengthened through trade with England. The English wanted then appropriating the island. They brought under the command of admirals Blake, Jennings and Nelson three massive attacks remained unsuccessful against Tenerife between 1657 and 1797. And it is with pride that today exhibits in the old fortress cannon El Tigre who fired the bullet that tore the arm Nelson, the future winner of the Battle of Trafalgar.
Until that time, La Laguna was the largest center of trade, but it lost its strength gradually and in the nineteenth century, came the expansion of the old core of Santa Cruz de Tenerife to the northeast and the urban plan adopted a radial route. The city has grown so much that in the nineteenth century, in 1812, under Fernando VII, is realized the transfer of the capital of Tenerife from Laguna to Santa Cruz.
Since 1982, Santa Cruz de Tenerife is shared with Las Palmas de Gran Canaria the seat of government of the Autonomous Region of the Canary Islands. The two cities take turns every four years.
|The indigenous cuisine is characterized by “pucheros” (a kind of pot-au-feu), las “papas arrugás” (small potatoes wrinkled very tasty cooked with their skin in little water and lots of salt) and fish in particular the “chicharro” (called horse mackerel or carapeau), porgy, the “cherne” (kind of grouper), the “sama” rock (big fish with white and laminated flesh), the “vieja” (fish cooked typical), et cetera. Stews and meat stew, the roasted pork leg, subtropical fruit and sweets (“truchas de batata” (pastry made of small sweet potato), “huevos mole” (dessert made from yolks eggs and a paste of barley wheat flour or corn), “tarta vilana” (potato cake), and so on) alternate with international cuisine.|
|Atlantida Santa Cruz|
|Address: av. 3 de Mayo E - 38005 Santa Cruz De Tenerife|
Phone: 00 34 922 294 500
Set meals € 25
|La Tasca Bodega|
|Address: av.San Sebastián 57 E - 38005 Santa Cruz De Tenerife|
Phone: 00 34 922 223 909
Opening periods: Closed carnival week and Sunday
Set meals - Carte: 40 € / 50 € A particularly interesting wine choice
Ancient well renovated cellar with bar serving raciones to entry, a wine shop and several small dining rooms decorated with agricultural tools and objects on the theme of the vine.
|El Coto de Antonio|
|Address: General Goded 13 E - 38006 Santa Cruz De Tenerife|
Phone: 00 34 922 272 105
Opening periods: Closed September and Sunday night
Set meals - Carte: 28 € / 39 €
Small, well arranged and professionally. It offers traditional dishes to date, including classics such as “steak tartare”.
|Los Cuatro Postes|
|Address: Emilio Calzadilla 5 E - 38002 Santa Cruz De Tenerife|
Phone: 00 34 922 287 394
Opening periods: Closed 15 days August and Sunday
Set meals - Carte: 35 € / 40 €
House well run by a couple. Welcoming classical-modern room with a comfortable central bar and kitchen partly open. quality products and full basement.
|Address: rambla General Franco 116 E - 38001 Santa Cruz De Tenerife|
Phone: 00 34 922 271 571
Opening periods: Closed August and Sunday
fixed price menu € 18
elegant restaurant complemented by an independent tapas bar.