|Tinajo is a small agricultural town in the northwest coast of the island of Lanzarote. Tinajo is proud of its Canarian wrestling wrestlers who won many victories in the Arena (Terrero de lucha canaria) located along the main road south of the city.|
Tinajo gained independence from the town of Teguise in 1802 and is the county seat of a municipality that includes agricultural localities of Casas del Islote, El Cuchillo, Casas de Guiguán, Mancha Blanca, La Santa, La Vegueta, Tinguatón and Tajaste. The town has about 6,000 inhabitants, nearly 3,000 for the town of Tinajo.
The main activity of the town’s vegetable and fruit crops, including grapes, fruits, onions, lentils. The National Park Timanfaya and the Natural Park of Los Volcanes attract a part of the tourist trade, especially backpackers. The cultural attractions of the town are mainly the Ermita de la Virgen de los Dolores in Mancha Blanca, which appears in the center of the shield of the city, and the Ermita de Nuestra Señora de Regla, in Yuco.
|Etymology and toponymy|
|The place name of “tinajo” refers to the local name given to the succulent plants of the genus Aeonium, common in the area.|
|Tinajo is located in the center-west of the island of Lanzarote, in a somewhat isolated region wedged between Volcanoes Park, west, and the desert of volcanic sand El Jable to the east. More than half of the municipality of Tinajo is covered with lava, scoria and lapilli emitted by volcanoes of the eighteenth century. The municipality of Tinajo is shared with the municipality of Yaiza the territory of the National Park Timanfaya.|
From the capital of the island, Arrecife, is reached Tinajo via the LZ-20 highway, passing through the villages of San Bartolomé and Tiagua. This trip of 20 km takes about half an hour.
Towards the southeast, the LZ-67 road connects Tinajo to Yaiza. At the exit of Tinajo villages Tajaste to Guiguán and Mancha Blanca form an agglomeration continues along the LZ-67 highway.
|The Church of St. Roch (Iglesia de San Roque)|
|The first chapel dedicated to St. Roch, the Ermita de San Roque, was built in Tinajo in the second half of the seventeenth century in 1679 by Guillén de Bethencourt Velázquez y Luzardo, prebendary and vicar of the island of Lanzarote.|
In 1738 the chapel was enlarged and on 29 June 1792, became the parish church of the Second Ward Lanzarote, created by Antonio Tavira y Almanzán, bishop of the Canary 1791-1796.
In 1800 the building underwent new expansions and improvements, such as building a baptistery on the left side of the church; seen before the baptistery gives the impression that the church has three naves.
The church San Roque has two naves of unequal size; the nave of the Epistle, where the main portal, is broader than the nave of the Gospel. Above the right aisle stands the steeple. The portals of the main facade on the south side and front to the east, are framed with basalt stones and surmounted by a round arch.
Between the roofing of the nave left and baptistery, there is a rare feature: a sundial given by a sailor, occasionally lives in La Vegueta, named RF Fernández. This sundial was made by the sailor in his last trips with his ship; the dial is dated May 20, 1851, but would have been installed at the beginning of the twentieth century; it has two anchors and Arabic numerals, not Roman as was the custom at the time.
Inside, the two naves are separated by arches supported by Tuscan columns; the ceiling is Mudejar, with boxes, intricately carved, whose fields are painted blue and white, aging published gray and ocher.
The Saint-Roch holds works of sacred art of value: a crucifix attributed to the famous sculptor canary José Luján Pérez; a wooden statue of the Virgen de la Candelaria, the right of the altar, and a "Saint Joseph with the Child (San José con el Niño)," to the left of the altarpiece, attributed to the sculptor Fernando Estévez; these sculptures are dated 1827. Fernando Estévez (1788 - 1854), a native of Tenerife, is the author of the Virgen de la Candelaria (Virgen de la Candelaria) in Candelaria on the island of Tenerife; he was a disciple of Luján Pérez (1756 - 1815), a native of Gran Canaria. Both sculptors have permanently marked the religious art of the Canary Islands.
The effigy of Our Lady of Sorrows, patron saint of Lanzarote, which is now housed in the church of Nuestra Señora de los Dolores in Mancha Blanca, came from the Saint-Roch church Tinajo.
The Saint-Roch church is located on the Plaza de San Roque, in the village center of Tinajo; in front of the main facade of the church is a famous dragon tree (Dracaena draco).
|The village of La Santa|
|The coastal village of La Santa is located 7 km north of Tinajo. This is one of the few resorts on the north coast of Lanzarote, usually rocky and inhospitable; The village has about 850 residents.|
The village benefits from a huge sports complex, the Club La Santa, located on the island of La Isleta connected to the mainland by two dikes; although only part of the ambitious initial project was carried out, this club offers sports facilities for twenty Olympic sports or not, as an Olympic pool, athletics stadium, tennis courts, squash courts, badminton, football, handball, volleyball and so on. The artificial basin situated between the two dams used to drive windsurfers. Once a year - usually in May - a "triathlon Ironman” is organized in Puerto del Carmen; it consists of 3.8 km swimming in the sea, 180 km cycling and a marathon.
Professional athletes flock here for their winter maintenance. The club also hosts many sports tourists, especially Scandinavians.
Phone: 00 34 928 599 999
Site on the Web: www.clublasanta.com
| The village of Caleta de Caballo|
|East of La Santa is the hamlet of Caleta de Caballo. The town only has a few white houses, but offers a beautiful beach.|
|The village of El Cuchillo|
|The village of El Cuchillo (about 450 inhabitants) is an agricultural village located 2 km northeast of Tinajo. In the crater of the volcano El Cuchillo are a few vegetable crops, including lentil fields that constitute an original souvenir from a trip to Lanzarote (lentejas de Lanzarote).|
|The people of Tinajo protected themselves in volcanic caves against pirate raids or against the eruption Tinguatón.|
|Tinajo is one of the villages where agriculture is the most flourishing and productive because cultures are performed on the rofe, volcanic ash that retain moisture well to produce a large number of native products of the island which are of extraordinary quality despite the near absence of rainfall.|
|The bus line No. 16, from Arrecife to La Santa, six stops in Tinajo.|
Line 52, of La Santa in Los Valles, and the line 53, of La Santa in Teguise, stop Tinajo.
Site on the Web: intercitybuslanzarote.es