The town of San Bartolomé in Lanzarote
|General presentation||Etymology and toponymy|
|San Bartolomé is the central city of the island of Lanzarote; it is a traditionally agricultural and handicraft town, best known for the cultivation of sweet potatoes called Boniatos. Like many other localities of the island, St. Barthelemy draws more and more income from tourism-related activities.|
San Bartolomé is the administrative center of town, which includes in its territory several farming communities such as Güime, El Islote and Montaña Blanca, but also the resort of Playa Honda, located right next to the airport Lanzarote which located in the municipality of San Bartolomé, in Guasimeta. The town has about 18,000 inhabitants, about 5,500 for the city of San Bartolomé itself, and 10500 for the resort Playa Honda.
The crest of the city includes the center, the arms of the family Perdomo who was at the origin of the city; around four vine leaves remind the wine tradition of part of the town.
|Saint-Barthélemy is sometimes called San Bartolomé de Lanzarote to distinguish it from the city of San Bartolomé de Tirajana located on the island of Gran Canaria.|
The locality was called once Ajei or Ajey, which meant “little village, hamlet” in the language of the Guanche natives, specifically Majos or Maxos of Lanzarote. This small aboriginal village was located on the western slope of Montaña Mina.
|The municipality of San Bartolomé is located in the center-east of the island of Lanzarote, in a cultivated plain (vega) between the Montaña de Guatisea (541 m) to the west, and the Montaña Mina (444 m) , to the East ; on top of that we can see five large wind turbines that were installed on an experimental basis; after the wind farm Los Valles was brought into service, the five wind turbines of Montaña Mina were abandoned. The territory of the town extends to the southeast coast of the island.|
The municipality of San Bartolomé is the second smallest of the seven municipalities of Lanzarote with about 41 km² area. The town is bordered by the town of Teguise in the north of the municipality of Arrecife, in the west of the town of Tías in the west, and the municipality of Tinajo, northwest.
The city lies at the intersection of important roads that cross the island from northeast to southwest and northwest to southeast. When visiting Lanzarote it is hard not to go near San Bartolomé.
By LZ-20 highway, San Bartolomé is 11 km north-west of the capital of the island, Arrecife, and the LZ-30 highway, 10 km south-west of the ancient capital, Teguise. The National Park Timanfaya is located about 20 km west of San Bartolomé.
|The village of San Bartolomé|
|The history of San Bartolomé dates back to the sixteenth century, but especially in the eighteenth century that the city developed with the influx of people driven from their land by volcanic eruptions of Montañas del Fuego, from 1730 to 1736. The city, located in a strategic location of the island, became the stronghold of the Military Governor of Lanzarote, Francisco Guerra Clavijo y Perdomo. At the end of the eighteenth century the town had 144 inhabitants and several stately mansions.|
The center of San Bartolomé is located around the Plaza León y Castillo where stands the church of St. Martin (Point C on the map), with his left Municipal Theatre (Point B), then the Hotel de city (Ayuntamiento) (Point A). The beautiful facade of the town hall has a gallery on the ground floor and a balcony upstairs; it is shaded by large palm trees, and on his left stands a tall belfry that seems to compete with the bell tower of the parish church. The center of the square is decorated with a beautiful fountain.
A little below the Plaza León y Castillo is interesting ethnographic museum Tanit (Point F, Calle de la Constitución). Other interesting buildings are the Casa Mayor Guerra (Point O, Calle Serpiente) and Casa Ajei (Item I, Calle General Franco), converted into a cultural center.
|The Church of St. Bartholomew (Iglesia de San Bartolomé)|
|The parish church of San Bartolomé was built in the late eighteenth century near the old chapel became too cramped for the population that had increased significantly. The construction was financed by public subscription at the initiative of Francisco Guerra Clavijo y Perdomo and his son Cayetano, who became its first pastor. Construction lasted from 1779 to 1783; in 1796 the church became the parish church of the new independent parish of San Bartolomé.|
The facade has a portal made of basalt stones; it is topped by a round arch. The two angles, quite massive, faceplate are also built of volcanic stone. At the top of the right corner (wall of the Epistle says) was built a tower in the nineteenth century; this tower is topped by a small dome whitewashed.
The interior of the church has a single nave, a Latin cross, covered by a wooden ceiling, Mudejar, supporting a gable roof. This ceiling - wooden Tenerife - had been painted blue in 1901, but in 1971 it was decided to restore its natural look of wood. The choir and transept chapels are covered with hipped roofs. In the chapel of the Epistle, the Chapel of Sorrows (Capilla de Los Dolores), is the tomb of the founder of the church, the Mayor Guerra, and his wife. We also notice the beautiful altarpiece of the main altar.
|The house of the Perdomo (Casa Perdomo)|
|La Casa Perdomo (point F on the map) is a fine example of traditional Canarian architecture, including a chapel, the Ermita de Nuestra Señora del Pino. After a winery (bodega), it now houses the Ethnographic Museum Tanit.|
|Tanit Ethnographic Museum (Museo Etnográfico Tanit)|
|Go to the Ethnographic Museum Tanit.|
|The home of Mayor Guerra (Casa del Mayor Guerra)|
|La Casa del Mayor Guerra was built in 1765 by Francisco Tomás Guerra Clavijo y Perdomo, a descendant of the conqueror of Gran Canaria, Don Lope Fernández de la Reguera y Guerra. Born in 1733, he was appointed Military Governor of Lanzarote in 1793, along with the Mayor of San Bartolomé: history refers to as Mayor Guerra. His son, Don Cayetano Guerra, was the first parish priest of San Bartolomé.|
La Casa Guerra is a vast rectangular mansion; above the entrance we see the crest of the wife of Mayor Guerra, Doña María Andrea Perdomo. Inside you can visit rooms furnished with period furniture and permanent exhibitions devoted to the history of San Bartolomé, from the time of aboriginal hamlet Ajei until the present time. In the beautiful gardens is a circular tank of exceptional size, fed by canals that brought water from the mountains.
The mansion in ruins, was acquired in 1986 by the municipality to make, after restoration, a cultural place. The historical museum was opened in 1999.
Visit the Casa del Mayor Guerra (point O on the map):
La Casa Guerra is located on the southern slope of the Mountain of the Cross (Montaña de la Cruz). Since San Bartolomé, take the road to Tías (LZ-35), then turn right on Calle Serpiente.
Visit by appointment at telephone number: 00 34 928 522 593
|La Casa Ajei|
|La Casa Ajei is a large mansion built in 1720 on a rectangular plan with a large central courtyard surrounded by a wooden gallery. Roofs, gable, are covered with Moorish tiles.|
La Casa Ajei was transformed into a cultural center with an art gallery and various exhibition halls, including agricultural implements.
Address: Calle General Franco s/n
Phone: 00 34 928 522 974
|The Monument to the Peasant (Monumento al Campesino)|
|North of San Bartolomé, near the village of Mozaga, symbolically located at the geographical center of the island of Lanzarote where was erected the “Monumento al Campesino”, work of César Manrique acknowledging the work of the peasants of his native island.|
Go to Monument to the Farmer.
|The territory of the municipality of San Bartolomé includes the international airport of the island of Lanzarote, also named airport Guasimeta, the name of the locality where it is located; the airport was established in 1946. The airport of Lanzarote is located 5 km from the island capital, Arrecife. Code IATA (AITA) from the airport Lanzarote is “ACE”.|
With its modern facilities, the airport every day a large number of flights from other Canary Islands and major cities in Europe, with nearly 6 million passengers per year.
|The village of El Islote|
|The locality of El Islote occupies the entire northwest part of the municipality of San Bartolomé; it has about 500 inhabitants, in a dispersed habitat. It is found in El Islote the Wine Museum (Museo del Vino), located on the LZ-30 highway just before the village of Masdache.|
|The Tourist Office (Oficina de Turismo) of San Bartolomé is located near the Museum Tanit, in a historic building, the Casa Cerdeña, Calle Dr. Cerdeña Bethencourt, 17 (point E on the plan).|
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8 am to 15 pm (14 pm from July to September).
Phone: 00 34 928 522 351
Website of the town hall on the Web: www.sanbartolome.es
|Address: Calle Doctor Cerdeña Bethencourt, 8|
Phone: 00 34 928 118 623
Hours: Monday to Friday from 8 am to 21 pm; Saturday from 9 am to 17 pm; Sunday from 9 am to 14 pm.
|The bus line No. 16, to Arrecife at La Santa has a stop at San Bartolomé.|
Line 32, of Arrecife in Playa Honda, through San Bartolomé.
Routes and detailed timetables at: intercitybuslanzarote.es
|The Montaña de Zonzamas (328 m), which lies southeast of San Bartolomé, is conducive to free flight. Flying hang gliders next one can see vultures, but these scavengers are attracted to the landfill of waste on the island of Lanzarote that it is in the volcano’s crater. Also were discovered Aboriginal archaeological remains.|
The Club de Vol Libre Zonzamas (Club de Vuelo Libre Zonzamas) is headquartered in San Bartolomé; organizes trips and hang gliding competitions.
Address: Calle Alcalde Antonio Cabrera Barrera, 12
Phone: 00 34 928 520 689: Mobile phone: 00 34 629 161 143
Site on the Web: www.vuelolibrezonzamas.com
|Hotel Rural Finca de la Florida|
|Built in 1950, the hotel comprises 16 rooms. Located in the heart of a natural paradise, the hotel offers panoramic views of the hillsides planted with vines.|
Address: El Parral, 1
Phone: 00 34 928 521 124
Site on the Web: www.hotelfincalaflorida.com