|Teguise is a small historic town in the north-center of the island of Lanzarote, Teguise was the capital city of Lanzarote since its founding in 1418, until 1852, when its former port, Arrecife, became the new capital from the island. Teguise is the second oldest city in the Canary Islands after Betancuria, the historic capital of the island of Fuerteventura.|
Teguise is today the capital of the largest municipality of the island, and the second most populous after Arrecife. The town of Teguise has just over 20,000 inhabitants, of which only about 1600 for the Villa de Teguise. The most important localities of the municipality are: the resort of Costa Teguise, much more populated, agricultural villages of Los Valles, of El Mojón, of Guatiza, of Nazaret, of Tahíche from Mozaga to Tiagua to Sóo and the fishing villages of Caleta de Famara and Caleta del Sebo on the island La Graciosa.
|Etymology and toponymy|
|Teguise was founded in 1418 by Matthieu de Béthencourt said “Maciot » de Béthencourt. Maciot was the nephew of Jean IV de Béthencourt, the son of his only brother Regnault IV de Béthencourt, and had accompanied his uncle and Gadifer de La Salle in the conquest of the Canaries.|
In fact an aboriginal village, named Acatife already existed here and was the capital of Majos, the Guanches of Lanzarote. In 1406 Maciot de Béthencourt succeeded his uncle in 1418, he moved to Acatife where he married the daughter of the last king majo Island, Guadarfía, baptized with the name of Luis de Guadarfía. The princess was named Teguise, became Maria de Teguise after his conversion to Catholicism.
Maciot dedicated the new name of the town to his wife, and dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel: the capital of Lanzarote was named San Miguel de Teguise. Maciot was born around 1375, in the family fiefdom of Normandy, and died in Madeira in 1454.
In the sixteenth century Teguise obtained the status of “Royal City” and was named “Villa Real San Miguel de Teguise”; the city is popularly known as “La Villa”, while the new capital, Arrecife, is often referred somewhat scornfully known as “El Puerto”.
The patch Teguise wears a crown, recalling that Teguise ’s royal city, overcoming a representation of the historical center of the city and four blocks representing the islands of the archipelago Chinijo part of the town.
|The town of Teguise is located at the mouth of a valley between the mountains of Risco de Famara and Risco de las Nieves, north-center of the island of Lanzarote. Teguise is located 300 m above sea level at the foot of a volcano, Montaña de Guanapay, whose summit, located at 452 meters, is crowned by the castle of St. Barbara.|
Teguise is located 13 km north of the capital of the island, Arrecife, the LZ-10 highway and after Tahíche, LZ-1 road. The town of Haría is located northeast of Teguise, 17 km from the LZ-10 highway; southwest, San Bartolomé is 10 km by road LZ-30. The main resort of the town, Costa Teguise, is 13 km southeast.
Teguise is the center of a town which is the capital; the town of Teguise is the largest in Lanzarote: it covers 264 km² - almost a third of the area of Lanzarote - stretching from the west coast to the east coast of the island; it also includes the islands and islets of the archipelago Chinijo : Island La Graciosa and the uninhabited islets of Alegranza, Montaña Clara, Roque del Este and Roque del Oeste.
Much of the town consists of volcanic farmland, dotted with volcanoes; on these lands is practiced cultivation on lapilli or pozzolan, locally named “picón”. On the LZ-104 road between Teguise, Teseguite and Guatiza, you can see quarry pozzolan that reveal rock formations, strange enough, which are volcanic vents unobstructed by quarrying. Southwest of the town lies the sandy plain of El Jable, more desert.
|The village of Teguise|
|Aborigines majos had already chosen this place to establish their capital, Acatife, because this place has a good water supply: in winter the rainwater that falls on the Montaña de Guanapay flow into the plain by the Barranco de Miraflores. These waters were collected in a huge tank, the “Gran Mareta”. One can still see the Barranco de Miraflores uncovered outside the city; it is then channeled in the alley named Callejón de la Sangre (Blood Alley). The old cistern was restored and covered with a slab which runs the largest market in Teguise.|
In addition to providing its waters to the city, the Montaña de Guanapay - a peak of 452 m, isolated in the middle of the plain - was an excellent vantage point to see the enemies coming landing on the coast of the island, all Distances of over 10 km. From the fourteenth century on top of the mountain was topped with a watchtower by Lanzarotto Malocello, re-discoverer Genoese Canary Islands.
In the year 1428, Maciot de Béthencourt thus established his capital in this place, he named San Miguel de Teguise. At Dynasty Béthencourt succeeded that of Herrera.
But Lanzarote is the island closest Canary Island to North Africa, and Teguise, despite its distance from the coast, had to suffer attacks by Barbary pirates. In 1569 the city was attacked by the Barbary pirate Calafat; alerted by the bells of the Franciscan monastery, the population managed to repel the invaders in the alley known today as the Callejón de la Sangre, where 170 Berber pirates were killed. In 1586, despite the strengthening of the castle Sainte-Barbe (No. 7 on the map), the city was taken by surprise by the Barbary pirate Morato who massacred the population. The worst attack occurred in 1618: the city was again looted and burned by the Barbary pirates, Xaban and Soliman; Barbary brought Joseph into slavery 900 inhabitants of Teguise. The Algerian pirate Xaban was a French renegade, born Guillaume Bedos at Sérignan in the Languedoc.
After 50 years of looting and arson remained little of the fifteenth and sixteenth century buildings; most historic buildings that one can see in Teguise date from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. The entire historic center - built on a grid plan - is a work of art made of monasteries, churches, chapels, paved and shaded streets, large squares, and traditional Canarian houses whitewashed .
Teguise was the political capital of Lanzarote for more than four centuries and elegant architecture reflects the ancient status: the stately opulent houses there are numerous: organized on one or two floors surrounding a patio, they open on the outside portals and carved wooden shutters; However the beautiful Canarian balconies are less present than in the other Canary Islands, as the Canary Island pine is almost nonexistent on the island of Lanzarote, and the wood had to be imported.
Teguise has a double face: on Sunday the city is very lively because of the market where people come from throughout the island including all tourist centers; weekday Teguise seems to be a museum city, because local populations working in holiday centers during the day; then we can quietly enjoy the beautiful squares, churches and palaces. If you have time it is worth visiting Teguise twice on Sundays and weekdays.
Whether you come from Arrecife or Costa Teguise with LZ-10 highway, or south of the island by the LZ-30 road, we can find ground parking lots beaten at the entrance to the city. The city tour can begin at the Town Hall located in the former Dominican monastery; next, you can visit the old church of the monastery (No. 3 on the map), which now houses a “Centre d’Art”. Go north along the Plaza de Santo Domingo (No. 1 on the map) and the Plaza Camilo José Cela (2). Arrived at the Calle José Betancort can make a return on the left of the street to cast an amused glance at the Casa-museo Mara Mao; retrace his steps and follow Calle José Betancort where you can see the Palace of the Marquis Herrera y Rojas; the Calle José Betancort continues to the Plaza Dr. Alfonso Spínola (3) where are the church of the former monastery St. Francis and Sacred Art Museum that houses the church today.
Then cross the Plaza de San Francisco (No. 4), then turn right into Calle Herrera y Rojas where you can see one of the oldest buildings in Teguise dating from 1455, the Palacio del Marqués (No. 8) became a café-restaurant, Patio del Vino. Turn left into Calle del Espíritu Santo, where the location Municipal Theatre, which occupies the site of the former chapel of the Holy Spirit. Continue the street of the Holy Spirit to the Parc de La Mareta (No. 8), which covers the old cistern. Walk along the park to the Callejón de la Sangre; down the alley on the left, then turn left on the Calle de San Miguel to the Plaza de San Miguel, or Plaza de la Constitución (No. 5 on the map).
On the east side of the square is the church of Our Lady of Guadeloupe (1); on the south side of the square you can see the old building of the House of the Tithe (La Cilla) which is now occupied by a savings bank; on the north side of the Place Saint-Michel is the Palazzo Spínola (No. 5) which houses the Museum Timple. Before leaving the place by the northwest, one can make a round trip in the Calle Nueva, on the left to see the facade of Casa Torres. Continue north and cross the squares Plaza 18 de Julio and Plaza Clavijo y Fajardo (No. 7), lined with historic buildings which house shops and restaurants.
Then we arrive in Calle El Rayo; on the right at the beginning of the street stands the Casa Palacio Ico, a former barracks (Casa Cuartel) renovated. At the end of Calle El Rayo, make a return in the Calle de la Carnicería (the Butcher Street) to see the Casa Perdomo which houses the Historical Archives Teguise (6). If you feel like walking, you can continue to the end of the Calle de la Carnicería and out of town to visit the Ermita de San Rafael, located just outside of town (700 m) , Carretera Vieja Teguise - Famara; if not, return to the Calle El Rayo and around the Casa Cuartel the right to arrive at the Plaza Princesa Ico (9); cross the square to get to another square, the Plaza de la Vera Cruz (No. 10), where a small chapel renovation, Ermita de la Vera Cruz (No. 4).
Since 1973 the historic center of Teguise is protected as a historic-artistic monument (Monumento Histórico Artístico). In 1980 a restoration program was undertaken with the support of César Manrique.
|The Town Hall (Ayuntamiento)|
|The City Hall Teguise is installed on the convent buildings of St. Dominic monastery; he canned two arches of the cloister and the original tanks.|
|The former Saint Dominic Convent (Convento de Santo Domingo)|
|In 1698 Captain Gaspar Carrasco Rodríguez gave the buildings to build a hospital with church he wanted to attribute to the Hospitaller Order of St. John of God; the Hospitaller Order declined the management of the hospital due to the remoteness of the island of Lanzarote.|
In 1711, the captain donated the buildings to the Dominican Order; the Convento de Santo Domingo was founded in 1726. Above the door of the church - red stone - one can see the symbol of the Dominican Order. The church has two naves separated by arches, supported by pillars in red stone. Inside you can still see the original altarpiece dedicated to Our Lady of Grace.
The convent was confiscated in the first half of the nineteenth century by an anticlerical government; He then underwent various uses deteriorated buildings. The renovation of the old convent began in the 1980s, but frescoes and tiles were unfortunately destroyed during construction and was discovered in the crypt over a hundred skeletons.
Today St. Dominic church houses a center for contemporary art which can expose young artists and live performance of classical music concerts and theatrical performances.
Centro de Arte, Convento de Santo Domingo
Address: Calle de Santo Domingo; in the southwest of the city (# 3 on the map).
Phone: 00 34 928 845 001
Hours: Sunday through Friday, 10 am to 14 pm; closed Saturday.
Admission: free admission.
Site on the Web: www.teguise.com
|House museum Mara Mao (Casa Museo Mara Mao)|
|A self-taught local artist Manuel Perdomo Ramirez, formed his personal museum is a pile of plaster statues and various objects.|
This oddity is Calle José Betancort at the southwest entrance of Teguise in from San Bartolomé.
|Palace Marquis Agustín de Herrera y Rojas (Palacio Marqués Agustín de Herrera y Rojas)|
|The Museum Marquis Herrera y Rojas was rebuilt in 1929 by Luis Ramirez Gonzalez, on the foundations of a palace built in the eighteenth century, but the three marquis of Lanzarote which bore the name of Agustín de Herrera y Rojas lived the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries ...|
Note the portal on the facade made of stone and wooden door of tea - the tea is the heartwood of the Canary Island pine (Pinus canariensis) - both recovered from the ancient palace. The building has a floor with a covered porch overlooking a courtyard. The crest that adorns the facade was created by the artist from Lanzarote, Pancho Lasso.
The building houses the cultural service of the municipality of Teguise.
Address: Calle José Betancort s/n.
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8 am to 15 pm.
|Former St. Francis Convent (Convento de San Francisco)|
|The church and the Franciscan convent of Teguise were built under the auspices of Don Gonzalo Argote de Molina, count and provincial Seville, married to a daughter of Don Agustín de Herrera y Rojas, first Marquis of Lanzarote. Work began in 1588 and the church was consecrated April 26, 1590; the convent was entrusted to the missionaries of the Franciscan order; the church was originally dedicated to Our Lady of Mirefleurs (Madre de Dios de Miraflores).|
Less than thirty years after its construction in 1618, the Convento de Miraflores was looted and burned by the hordes of Algerian pirates Xaban and Soliman, like many other buildings Teguise. The convent and the church were restored in subsequent years; one second nave was added to the church.
|The seventeenth and eighteenth centuries the Convento de San Francisco was used as a burial place for the most prominent citizens of Lanzarote.|
In the nineteenth century the monastery was victim of disentailment policies (desamortización) of Spanish liberal governments; the monastery buildings were cut and sold as homes.
It remains today the Franciscan convent that the old church, turned into Museum of Sacred Art.
|The facade of the church of St. Francis contains a portal reddish volcanic stone, topped by two unusual patterns spiral, of Hispano-American inspiration, and an oculus.|
The interior of the church has two naves; the nave of the Gospel, left, has two chapels and a large altarpiece with three panels; the nave of the Epistle, right, is smaller and consists of four chapels.
The most notable features are the three Baroque altarpieces, carved wooden ceilings Mudejar, carved wooden pulpit and baptismal font volcanic stone.
|The altarpiece of the main altar of the Gospel nave was realized in the second half of the eighteenth century; it is dedicated to Our Lady of Mirefleurs Convent holder.|
This altarpiece, of baroque style, consists of six panels on two horizontal sections and three vertical sections; niches of the horizontal bottom represent: Madre de Dios de Miraflores in the central niche, St. Francis in the niche left and St Diego de Alcalá in the right niche. In the second horizontal section - the best preserved - we can see, on the left panel, a painting of the Immaculate Conception, the Ascension of Christ, on the central panel, and the Embrace of St. Francis and St. Dominic on the right panel. In the pediment is a canvas of Ecce Homo.
In the nave of the Epistle is the altarpiece of Saint Anthony which has the same spiral patterns that the church façade. These same patterns on the altarpiece reddish stone of the Immaculate Conception Chapel on the left of the nave of the Gospel.
Nothing is known of the authors of the altarpieces of the Franciscan convent, but the composition of the scene and dimensions correspond to the work of local artists.
|The Museum of Sacred Art (Museo de Arte Sacro)|
|The old St. Francis church has become, since 1998, the Museum of Sacred Art of Lanzarote; it has a collection of about 70 religious art from churches and convents in Teguise, including wood carvings.|
Among the exhibits there is the painting “The Engagement” attributed to the Canarian painter Cristóbal Hernández de Quintana, US Large paintings of archangels, or a nice German shelf seventeenth century.
|Visit the Museum of Sacred Art|
Address: Plaza de San Francisco; near the southeast edge of town in the direction of Arrecife (No. 2 on the map).
Hours: Tuesday to Saturday, 9 am 30-16: 30 pm; Sunday from 10 am to 14 pm; closed on Mondays. The entry of visitors ends half an hour before closing.
Admission: free admission.
Phone: 00 34 928 314 989
|The Marquis Palace (Palacio del Marqués)|
|The Palacio del Marqués de Herrera y Rojas is the oldest building Teguise: it was built in 1455, but named a lord Lanzarote who lived a century later ... the Palacio del Marqués was, for 270 years the headquarters of the Canarian government. This building is often confused with the Palacio del Marqués Agustín de Herrera y Rojas.|
In 1998, this historic building has been transformed into a café-restaurant, the Patio del Vino, which has a few tables in a cozy patio for a break, but the tapas are average and quite expensive wines.
Hours: Monday to Friday: 12 am to 20 pm; Sunday from 10 am to 15 pm.
Address: Calle Herrera y Rojas, 9 (No. 8 on the map).
Phone: 00 34 928 845 773
|Municipal Theatre (Teatro Municipal)|
|The Municipal Theatre occupies the chapel of the location of the Holy Spirit built in 1730. Next to the chapel, Father Agustín Rodríguez Ferrer had built in 1774, a hospice who later served as an orphanage.|
In 1825 the hospice buildings were transformed into theater, the third oldest of the Canary Islands. The chapel was demolished in the nineteenth century.
After a long period of neglect, the theater was restored in 1995, retaining the dimensions of the old theater.
Address: Calle del Espíritu Santo, n° 1.
|Park Cistern (Parque La Mareta)|
|Immediately north of the Church of Our Lady of Guadeloupe is a large covered plaza tiles: the Parque La Mareta is the venue of the big Sunday market in Teguise (No. 8 on the map). Under the slabs where merchants stalls will unfold is a huge tank 40 meters in diameter and 9 meters deep. This tank was built by the founders of the city, in the early fifteenth century to gather winter rainwater flowing from Montaña Guanapay by the Barranco de Miraflores. The water collection system has already developed aborigines majos. It was the largest tank of rainwater to Lanzarote.|
The tank eventually silt up, and after the commissioning of the desalination plant of sea water of Arrecife, in 1965, became useless. The tank was restored in 1992 and covered with concrete slabs; the tank is not accessible to the public.
|The Blood Alley (Callejón de la Sangre)|
|The Callejón de la Sangre is located on the east side of the church Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe; this narrow lane covers a channel that leads from the water Barranco de Miraflores until the tank La Mareta.|
The name of this street recalls the many battles that took place between the inhabitants of Teguise and the Barbary pirates, the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, especially between 1569 and 1586. Such fighting took place in many other streets, but it’s in the Alley of the Blood of the inhabitants Teguise managed to repel barbarian in 1571; However, in 1596, the Algerian pirates took over, plundered the city, burned the houses, massacred the inhabitants and carried off into slavery many others. This fighting left hundreds dead.
|The Constitution Square (Plaza de la Constitución)|
|Michaelmas Place (Plaza de San Miguel) is the heart of the historic center of Teguise, surrounded by historical buildings such as the Church of Our Lady of Guadeloupe, the palace Spínola and the granary of the House of the Tithe. The current official name of the place is Plaza de la Constitución (No. 5 on the map).|
Michaelmas square was inaugurated in 1590 by the Italian engineer Leonardo Torriani who had to strengthen the castle of Santa Bárbara atop the Montaña de Guanapay.
The current appearance of the square dates mainly from the early twentieth century; the southern entrance of the square is flanked by two lions, symbols of power, facing the palace Spínola: the place is sometimes colloquially called Plaza de los Leones. The fountain that adorns the center of the square dates from the 1940s; the stone benches are blue stone from the famous quarry “La Goleta” to Arucas in Gran Canaria. The square is shaded by some palm trees and some of the Canary Araucaria.
|The church of Our Lady of Guadeloupe (Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe)|
|The first parish church of San Miguel de Teguise, dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel, was built around 1428; she was one of the first churches in the Canaries. This church of the fifteenth century was a very simple structure and small size, with a single nave, without windows with stone seats along the walls. The Iglesia de San Miguel was sacked several times by pirates attacks, and each time rebuilt; it was completely destroyed by fire in the early seventeenth century (1608).|
The new parish church, dedicated to Our Lady of Guadeloupe, dates from the seventeenth century (1680) but suffered many subsequent transformations, which gives it a rather motley appearance. The church of Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe is a three-nave church with an imposing bell tower that serves as a benchmark in the plain of Teguise.
|In 1909, another fire - triggered by the negligence of a sidekick - caused extensive damage and destroyed the parish archives.|
From 1909 to 1914 inside the Notre Dame church was restored in neo-Gothic style - which does not unanimously - with plaster casts that hide the Background.
The bell tower was rebuilt: the first three floors of reddish volcanic rock, was added a fourth floor of gray basalt, topped with an octagonal bell tower and dome gleaming white.
|The present appearance of the church dates back to the early twentieth century; a model, visible in the Museum of Piracy, shows the exact appearance of the church in the eighteenth century.|
Inside the church you can see an image of Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe, venerated in Spain and Hispanic America.
In the left aisle is a work of the famous Canarian artist Lujan Pérez, an effigy of Christ with real human hair.
Visit the Iglesia de la Virgen de Guadalupe (# 1 on the map):
Hours: Monday to Saturday, 9 am to 13 pm 30.
|The House of the Tithe (La Cilla)|
|On the south side of the Plaza de San Miguel is the building of the Tithe, named La Cilla (silo), which was stored grain delivered by farmers as tax in kind. This tax was instituted, since 1412, by Jean de Béthencourt in favor of the church; the tithe was a tenth of the grain harvest.|
In the fifteenth century a successor Béthencourt, lord of the island Diego García de Herrera, thought that the bishop of Gran Canaria could do without this tax and retained for its benefit; he was promptly before Pope Sixtus IV.
The House of the Tithe that we see today is a building that dates from the seventeenth century (1680), built by the master Marcial Sánchez; it now houses a branch of the Savings Bank of the Canary “La Caja de Canarias”, which has funded the restoration of La Cilla in 1986, led by César Manrique.
|The Spinola Palace (Casa Museo Palacio Spínola)|
|La Casa Spínola is a mansion of the eighteenth century, built between 1730 and 1780 by the family Feo y Peraza who allied himself before the merchant family Spínola. The palace Spínola was the residence of the governor of Lanzarote during the eighteenth century. The property previously belonged to the Dominican Order and housed the Holy Office of the Tribunal (Tribunal del Santo Oficio), that is to say, the tribunal of the Spanish Inquisition.|
Until 1974 the house was inhabited by noble families, then bought by the mining company Unión Explosivos Río Tinto, who had it restored under the supervision of the artist Lanzarote César Manrique.
In 1984 the palace was bought by the municipality of Teguise and restored by the architect Fernando Higueras and decorated by César Manrique. In 1989 it became the official residence of the President of the Government of the Canary Islands, for representational purposes. Since 2011 the building also houses a museum Timple, a traditional stringed musical instrument of the Canary Islands.
The Palacio Spínola is on the west side of the Saint-Michel Square, opposite the Notre Dame; opposite the Palace stand two stone lions. The building has an austere façade with six windows and a stone gate placed above a porch.
Behind the facade are two large rooms, served by a long corridor, one of which houses the Museum Timple and the other the Council Chamber; we notice the beautiful floors in solid wood. Faced with the Council chamber a small chapel has a wooden altarpiece.
|At the center of the palace is a patio with a stone well and bougainvillea. At the rear of the palace is the kitchen with a monumental fireplace two meters wide. On the side, another courtyard with palm trees and an old fig tree; you can see a water filter (destiladera).|
|Visit the Palacio Spínola :|
Address: Plaza de San Miguel s/n (Plaza de la Constitución); number 5 on the map.
Hours: Monday to Friday, 9 am to 15 pm; Sunday, 10 am to 14 pm. Closed Saturdays.
Phone: 00 34 928 845 181
Admission: € 3 (includes visiting the museum timple).
|The house-museum timple (Casa Museo del Timple)|
|The Casa-museo del Timple is devoted entirely to this iconic instrument of the Canary Islands, a small guitar with five strings: its history, its production, its masters, such as Simón Morales Tavio or Antonio Lemes Hernández, who maintained that tradition over twentieth century.|
The museum timple is housed in several rooms of the Palazzo Spínola.
Address: Plaza de la Constitución s/n
Hours: Monday to Saturday, 9 am to 16 pm 30; Sunday and holidays from 9 am to 15 pm 30.
Admission: € 3.
Site on the Web: www.casadeltimple.org
|The Casa Palacio Ico|
|The Palacio Ico is a colonial house dating from the late seventeenth century, restored in the 1980s by architect Luis Ibáñez. Because it served as barracks of the Guardia Civil in the twentieth century, it is popularly called Casa-Cuartel (home-barracks). The “tourist” name Palacio Ico was given to it during its restoration, in tribute to the Aboriginal Queen Ico.|
The Palacio Ico has an outside bacon traditional Canarian style - perhaps the only one in town - and a lovely terrace.
Address: Calle El Rayo, n° 2
Site on the Web: www.palacioico.com
|La Casa Perdomo|
|La Casa Perdomo is an eighteenth century building built by the family Robayna, but that was acquired in the second half of the twentieth century by the family Perdomo.|
In 1988, the Casa Perdomo was acquired by the town of Teguise; since 1998, after extensive restoration, the building houses the Historical Archives of the town of Teguise.
Historical Archive Teguise
Address: Calle Carnicería, n° 8
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8 am to 15 pm 30.
Phone: 00 34 928 845 467
|The Chapel of the True Cross (Ermita de la Vera Cruz)|
|Holy Christ Chapel of the True Cross (Ermita del Santísimo Cristo de la Vera Cruz) was founded in the seventeenth century by captain Lucas Gutiérrez Melián (No. 4 on the map).|
The chapel houses a statue of Christ on the Cross (Cristo en la Cruz), who was brought from Portugal by the family Betancort Ayala. The chapel also has two paintings: one representing "The Descent of the Holy Spirit" and the other "The betrothal of Mary and Joseph."
|Fort Saint Barbara (Forte de Santa Bárbara)|
|The Castillo de Santa Bárbara is a sixteenth-century fortress built on top of a volcano, Montaña de Guanapay; the castle now houses the Museum of Piracy (No. 7 on the map).|
Go to the castle of St. Barbara.
|The village of Los Valles|
|Go to the village of Los Valles.|
| The Agricultural Museum El Patio in Tiagua|
|Go to Agricultural Museum El Patio.|
| The Foundation César Manrique in Tahíche|
|Go to the Foundation César Manrique.|
| The house Lagomar of Omar Sharif in Nazaret|
|Go to the house of Omar Sharif.|
|The Tourist Office is located on the Plaza de la Constitución, left the Palace Spínola.|
Hours: daily, 10 am to 17 pm.
Phone: 00 34 928 845 398
Site on the Web: www.teguiseturismo.com
|The Sunday morning market in Teguise is one of the attractions of the island of Lanzarote; Bus services run that day from the tourist resorts of the island, and tourists rental cars flock by the hundreds to the city where residents transform their land into paying parking lots. The market center is the Park La Mareta, but the stalls are disseminated on all seats and all surrounding streets.|
The mercadillo offers all kinds of products from the most authentic Canarian to more adulterated: organic food, goat cheese, Canarian craft lace, ceramic or lava, local jewelry, crucifixes, counterfeit clothes, exotic trinkets bad quality. Ephemeral cafes align their tables and benches and sell very expensive drinks and culinary specialties. Folk groups perform some dances and pieces of traditional music.
The market is held from 9 am to 14 pm; the evening Teguise plunged back into his lethargy.
|Bus lines 7 (Arrecife - Haría - Máguez) and 9 (Arrecife - Órzola) have two stops in Teguise.|
The lines 11, 12, 13 and 14 run on Sunday morning from Puerto del Carmen, Playa Blanca, Costa Teguise and Arrecife, the market for Teguise.
Detailed schedule at: www.arrecifebus.com
|With some flats there is virtually no offer of accommodation in Teguise.|
|The restaurant Acatife is one of the oldest restaurants in Lanzarote; it serves traditional Canarian cuisine in an equally traditional, with exposed beams and rustic furniture, and a beautiful courtyard. A specialty is the rabbit in red wine sauce (conejo al vino tinto).|
Address: Calle de San Miguel, n° 4
Hours: Closed Monday.
Price: reasonable prices; main courses from € 15.
Phone: 00 34 928 845 037