The village of Tiagua and the Agricultural Museum El Patio in Lanzarote
|Tiagua is a small farming village in the center of the island of Lanzarote; The village has about 300 inhabitants and is part of the municipality of Teguise. He is best known for its agricultural museum, the Museo Agrícola El Patio, which occupies the buildings of what was once the largest agricultural area of the island in the early twentieth century.|
|Tiagua is located 5 km north of the Monumento al Campesino Lanzaroteño (Monument to the Peasant Lanzarote), which symbolically marks the geographical center of the island at the crossroads of LZ-30 and LZ-20 roads.|
LZ-20 road first crosses the wine village of Mozaga, before reaching Tiagua. Continuing on the LZ-20 road, we reached the town of Tinajo, 4.5 km and the coastal village of La Santa, 9 km; leaving the LZ-20 highway in Tiagua, you can continue to the fishing village of La Caleta de Famara, 11 km. Teguise, the capital of the municipality which includes Tiagua, lies on the other side of the desert plain of El Jable, 12 km to the east by the LZ-20 highway and then the LZ-30 highway.
The village of Tiagua is at the foot of the volcano named Montaña del Clérigo Duarte (ecclesiastical Mountain Duarte) is the appearance of the volcano which marked the beginning of the last important phase of volcanism in Lanzarote, July 31, 1824.
|The Agricultural Museum El Patio (Museo Agrícola El Patio)|
|The Museo Agrícola El Patio is located in a finca (farm field) created about 1845 to cultivate the land fertilized by volcanic eruptions from 1824.|
This finca, named Villa Agrícola El Patio, was a small village - as were the “villae” under the Roman Empire - with two windmills, a bread oven, cistern, winery, fields and vineyards , a stable, a backyard, a mansion and living quarters for the foreman and laborers, and a chapel.
|In half a century the Villa El Patio became the largest and most productive agricultural area of the island, employing 25 laborers and 20 camels; the finca was operated until about 1949. In 1975 the estate was bought by the family Barreto; for 20 years, Dr. Barreto Feo spent much time to rehabilitate buildings and collect on the island of representative objects of rural life in Lanzarote. In 1996, his son, José María and Germán, opened to the public the finca become agricultural museum, but where agriculture and wine production continues.|
The Museo Agrícola El Patio is an ethnographic museum that offers a glimpse of rural architecture and furniture of the late nineteenth century and early twentieth century, agricultural practices of the past and the traditional culture of the island of Lanzarote.
The original buildings have been added to a building housing the collections and a cactus garden.
In its action, the private agricultural museum El Patio - which receives no subsidies - deserved awards, including a tourism award given by the Cabildo Insular de Lanzarote.
|La villa agrícola El Patio|
|The buildings of agriculture El Patio is set around a large courtyard; to the left is the master’s house; in front of the entrance, operating and housing foreman buildings; right, the small wooden chapel, under the patronage of St. Joseph the Worker (San José Obrero).|
|The house of the Masters|
|The manor house - which belonged to the Count of La Quinta - has been preserved as it was in the early twentieth century; you can visit the rooms of the house, including the living room, bedrooms and kitchen.|
|The housing of the foreman|
|The housing foreman was reconstituted as it was in the early twentieth century; you can see the dining room, which also served as living room and bedroom - very austere - with a bed mattress made of strings, and a chamber pot. The foreman of the field lived there until 1949.|
|The area El Patio has two windmills well restored: a male mill (molino), masonry mill with a tiled roof, and a female mill (molina) mill with a wooden exterior mechanism. The grilled corn was milled there to produce gofio. There are also two animal-powered mills (tahona) and an exhibition of hand mills. A furnace allowed to bake bread.|
|The estate vineyards El Patio annually produce about 40,000 liters of wine.|
|Domain El Patio student a flock of goats that allows it to produce cheese. The farm also has chickens and ducks roam freely around the farm, which form a background noise with their songs. A dromedary recalls the role played by this animal in farm work.|
|For decades the finca El Patio practiced the cultivation of tobacco, which was an important economic activity in the north of the island of Lanzarote; Today the area specializes in onions, squash and watermelons, on a smaller scale. Its vines allow him to produce his own wine.|
|The cactus garden and other succulents|
|The exhibition building|
|A large exhibition building was built to house the rich collection of agricultural and household utensils of country life in the early twentieth century.|
You can see harnesses, yokes, saddles for dromedaries, plows, bushels, trays for cheese making, pottery, tools for harvesting and preparation of tobacco, a basketry workshop and a workshop carpentry.
Many original photographs illustrate the agricultural old life on Lanzarote.
|On the mezzanine in particular we see a loom.|
|Pottery has always been one of the most established and most traditional activities in rural areas of Lanzarote. The craft of pottery has been passed from generation to generation and its roots in pre-Hispanic times.|
|The tavern and the bodega|
|The visit of the Agricultural Museum El Patio can end the old Canarian tavern - shaded by a beautiful bougainvillea - where, formerly, the farmers of the island and guests of the owners took a break for a drink of wine or restore with the products of the earth. You can taste the wine of the bodega El Patio and goat cheese produced by the finca.|
One can also taste the wines in the bodega that offers a choice of malvoisies and muscat.
In the museum shop you can buy local products.
|The Chapel of Our Lady of Perpetual Help (Ermita de Nuestra Señora del Perpetuo Socorro)|
|In the village center of Tiagua, at the crossroads of the LZ-401 road and Calle Echeyde that leads to El Patio, you can see a very simple chapel, dating from the eighteenth century, the Ermita de la Virgen del Perpetuo Socorro. Plus, on the left of the road, passing another type wind mill molino.|
|Visit the Agricultural Museum El Patio :|
Address: Calle Echeyde, 18. At the end of the village, on the LZ-401 road towards Sóo, turn right at the crossroads: the museum is 300 meters.
Hours: Monday to Friday, from 10 am to 17: 30 pm; up to 14 h 30 on Saturday; close on Sunday.
Admission: € 6 for nonresident adults; € 3 for children.
Phone: 00 34 928 529 134
Site on the Web: www.museoelpatio.com
|The village of Tiagua is served by the bus line No. 16 which connects Arrecife to the village of La Santa, as well as line No. 20 which connects Arrecife to La Caleta de Famara.|
Hours at: www.arrecifebus.com