|Yaiza is a typical small town of the Canaries, located in the south of the island of Lanzarote; the city obtained several times the distinction of "most beautiful villages in Lanzarote."|
Yaiza is the capital of a joint which includes the major resort of Playa Blanca - much more populated than the capital, and the smaller resort of Puerto Calero. Other areas of the town have a farm or vineyard character such as Uga, Femés, Las Breñas or La Geria. Some localities are fishing villages such as El Golfo or Playa Quemada. The town has a total population of just over 15,000 residents. A large proportion of this population, approximately 30% is of foreign origin, working in the tourism industry or retired.
The municipality of Yaiza benefits from many important tourist attractions such as a part of the National Park of Timanfaya, the Green Lagoon at El Golfo, the cliffs of Los Hervideros, the vineyards of La Geria, marinas of Playa Blanca and Puerto Calero, and the beaches of Papagayo. Yaiza also benefits from the maritime traffic link that connects Corralejo, on the island of Fuerteventura, at Playa Blanca. The economy of Yaiza mainly based on tourism and agriculture.
|Etymology and toponymy|
|The place name of Yaiza comes from the name of an aboriginal Guanche princess, the Princesa Yaiza; the Canary Islands, the name of Yaiza is often given as a first name to female children.|
|The city of Yaiza is located south of the island of Lanzarote, nestled at the foot of Montañas del Fuego.|
The municipality of Yaiza borders the municipality of Tinajo to the north and the town of Tías, northeast. To the east, south and west, the territory of Yaiza is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean.
The municipality of Yaiza is shared with the municipality of Tinajo the National Park Timanfaya and the Natural Park of Los Volcanes. The territory of the municipality of Yaiza also includes the mountains of the Natural Monument of Los Ajaches and the salt of Janubio.
Yaiza is accessible from the capital, Arrecife, and from the airport on the island, the LZ-2 road, saving the city center, bypassing the city, and that continues to Playa Blanca where you can take ferries to the island of Fuerteventura. Coming from Arrecife by the LZ-2 road, we pass through the village of Uga, known for its smoked salmon. LZ-30 tourist road connects Yaiza at Teguise in the north of the island; LZ-30 road through the protected landscape of La Geria and its vineyards.
|The village of Yaiza|
|Unlike many other villages in the region, Yaiza was not destroyed by the catastrophic volcanic eruptions of the years 1730-1736, but was greatly affected. The parish church of Our Lady of Remedies, built in the seventeenth century, survived and it is the parish priest who kept a detailed chronicle of the eruptions of the Montañas del Fuego.|
The small town has recovered and thrived in the nineteenth century; some homes, shaded facades, built by rich merchants attest to this ancient wealth. This richness continues today through windfall taxes paid by hotels and restaurants in tourist areas of the town, especially the luxury hotels in Playa Blanca.
This prosperity is seen in the number of facilities, public buildings, tidy streets, shady parks and palm-covered red pozzolan. Many homes have the traditional architectural style wanted - for the whole island of Lanzarote - by the artist and environmentalist César Manrique: small houses of cubic form with walls whitewashed and painted green shutters, flower of hibiscus, bougainvillea and geraniums ... César Manrique actually played a role in the urbanization of Yaiza.
These efforts have earned the city of Yaiza been rewarded several times for its cleanliness and for its beauty. However this cleanliness can not hide that politicians of the municipality of Yaiza were convicted of corruption in real estate developments in Playa Blanca.
On a fairground next to the town hall, the municipality of Yaiza organizes every year at Christmas, a big “Belén”, a representation of the Nativity in Bethlehem, but which also includes performances miniaturized different emblematic places of island of Lanzarote, like miniature of Playa Blanca, in Arrecife, and the Montaña de Timanfaya. delicious detail: children and visitors are encouraged to seek the figure of a young man defecating, because it is considered a lucky charm to discover.
|The Church of Our Lady of Remedies (Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de los Remedios)|
|Bernardo de Vicuña y Zuazo, bishop of the diocese of Las Palmas from 1691 to 1705, authorized the construction of a chapel in Yaiza provided "twenty-five Masses are said every year there." La Ermita de Nuestra Señora de los Remedios was built in 1699. It may be that one of the two aisles of the current Iglesia Nuestra Señora de los Remedios match this first chapel.|
Remedies Church of Our Lady was built in 1728. The building has a rather simple facade, whitewashed, topped on the right side, a bell tower with two bells. The building has a portal on the front and a side gate; both gates are made of reddish volcanic rock and topped with a semicircular arch. The doors are dark wood.
|Inside, the church consists of two unequal naves, two side chapels and two outbuildings on both sides of the altar used as sacristy. At the foot of the aisle are the baptismal font. The aisles are covered with wooden ceiling of Mozarabic style; the choir is covered by a Baroque ceiling painted with folk motifs.|
The church Nuestra Señora de los Remedios holds valuable works of art: a beautiful altar in polychrome wood blue, white and gold, and tables of the eighteenth century, including the painting of Nuestra Señora del Rosario, 1785.
The Notre-Dame was built in 1728, just two years before the volcanic eruptions of Montañas del Fuego. May 9, 1731, a volcano erupted near Yaiza - probably the Pico Partido; but volcanic flows stopped on 12th of this month without burying the church; it is said that one can see on the outer stones of the building, the level reached by the flood of slag. This event is called the "Miracle of the Virgin." The priest Don Andrés Lorenzo Curbelo has made the narrative.
|The September 17, 1737 Notre-Dame became the parish church of a new independent parish from that of Teguise; this parish included the village of Yaiza, Femés, Uga, Chupadero, Mazo and Casillas.|
Nuestra Señora de los Remedios is celebrated on September 8; the effigy of the Virgin is carried in procession through the city.
The church of Our Lady of Remedies is situated on the main square, the Plaza de los Remedios; it is open from 9 am to 19 pm.
|The House of Culture (Casa de la Cultura)|
|The Casa de la Cultura de Yaiza is housed in the former residence of the politician Canary Benito Pérez Armas (1871 - 1937), who was born there. It is a building of the nineteenth century Canarian architecture Andalusian style, with a beautiful patio.|
The building was restored in the 1990s to house an art gallery, a library and meeting rooms for the population. You can see temporary exhibitions of art and photography.
The Culture House is located on the other side of the Plaza de los Remedios compared to Notre Dame. It is open Monday to Friday, 9 am to 13 am and from 17 am to 19 pm. Free entry.
|The handicraft center of the Old School Yaiza (Antigua Escuela de Yaiza)|
|The old school of Yaiza reopened in 2010, but no school will sit more on school benches; the building was converted into a crafts center that simultaneously coffee bodega. quaint shops you can visit craft and jewelry; after which you can enjoy in the courtyard, a glass of wine with goat cheese.|
Address: Calle La Cuesta 1.
Phone: 00 34 620 509 188
Site on the Web: antigua-escuela-de-yaiza.com
| The Green Lagoon (Laguna Verde)|
|Go to the Green Lagoon at El Golfo.|
| The salt marshes of Janubio (Las Salinas de Janubio)|
|Go to the salt marshes of Janubio.|
| The cliffs of Los Hervideros|
|Go to the cliffs of Los Hervideros.|
| The National Park Timanfaya (Parque Nacional de Timanfaya)|
|Go to the National Park of Timanfaya.|
| The Volcanoes Park (Parque Natural de Los Volcanes)|
|Go to the Natural Park of the Volcanoes.|
| The vineyards of La Geria|
|The wine region of La Geria covers the municipalities of Yaiza and Tías. The villages of Uga and La Geria are the first wine villages through which the Wine Route, LZ-30, east of Yaiza.|
Go to the vineyard of La Geria.
|Castillo de Las Coloradas|
|In the south of the municipality of Yaiza is the area known as the plain name of El Rubicón, where settled the first European settlement in the Canary Islands, founded in 1402 by Norman Jean de Béthencourt.|
The remains of the castle of Las Coloradas, a small fortress built in 1404 by Béthencourt, are located east of Playa Blanca, near the Punta del Papagayo; since this place began the conquest of Lancerotte (Lanzarote) to Fortaventure (Fuerteventura) and all the Canary Islands.
Go to Castillo de Las Coloradas.
| Marina Rubicón in Playa Blanca|| The marina of Puerto Calero|
|Go to Marina Rubicón.||Yaiza is the only town in Lanzarote to have two marinas.||Go to the marina in Puerto Calero.|
|The line No. 60 connects Arrecife to Playa Blanca, passing through Yaiza, Monday to Friday, every hour from 5 am to 21 pm 45 (duration 60 minutes); of Playa Blanca to Arrecife from 6 am to 21 pm 55 35.|
Lines No. 161 and 261 connect the airport to Playa Blanca (from Puerto del Carmen, Puerto Calero and Yaiza), every half hour from 6 am to 22 pm 30 (duration 60 minutes).
Detailed schedule of bus lines: www.arrecifebus.com
|The tourism office|
|The Tourist Office Yaiza is located in Playa Blanca :|
Address: Calle Varedero, 4
Phone: 00 34 928 519 018 / 00 34 928 519 238
Summer hours: 8 am to 13 pm 30; Winter hours: 8 am to 14 pm 30
|Rural Hotel La Casona de Yaiza|
|La Casona de Yaiza is a rural hotel-restaurant charm housed in a XIXth century restored in a Renaissance style. The hotel has eight large rooms tastefully furnished.|
The restaurant offers fine cuisine, including fish.
Address: Calle El Rincón, 11
Phone: 00 34 928 836 262
Site on the Web: www.casonadeyaiza.com
|Hotel Finca de las Salinas|
|The rural hotel Finca de las Salinas is a charming hotel set in an eighteenth century manor house, an original architecture and red colors. Located in beautiful surroundings, near the major tourist areas, the hotel boasts magnificent views of the National Park Timanfaya. The hotel has 19 comfortable rooms with private terrace.|
Address: Calle La Cuesta, 17 - On the main road just before entering Yaiza from the north.
Phone: 00 34 928 830 325 / 326
Site on the Web: www.stratvshotel.com
The hotel was bought by the Stratvshotel company that undertook renovations without permission. The work was stopped in 2014 by the public authorities and the hotel is closed.
|Hotel La Casa de Hilario|
|Hotel, housed in an old finca of the seventeenth century that belonged to a famous character from Lanzarote, Hilario. The hotel has seven rooms decorated in Chinese style a bit eccentric and a bit outdated. From the small pool there is a splendid view of the Montañas del Fuego.|
Address: Calle General García Escámez , 19
Phone: 00 34 928 836 262
Site on the Web: www.casadehilario.com