The town of Deià in Majorca - The domain of Son Marroig
|Etymology and toponymy|
|"Son" - that is frequently found in the names of Mallorca - is a large finca.|
Marroig pronounced "marrohiche".
|The Manor Son Marroig is located in the northwest of the island of Majorca, in the village of Deià.|
To get there from Palma, take the Palma - Valldemossa motorway (Ma-1110). Once we reached Valldemossa, take the motorway towards Deià (Ma-10). Shortly before reaching Deià there is a turnoff to the left leading to Son Marroig.
Since Sóller, on the road from Sóller to Valldemossa, the manor is located about 7 km before Valldemossa.
|The domain (possessió) of Son Marroig was bought by Archduke Ludwig Salvator who restored the old house, leaving only the fortified tower of the sixteenth century and enlarging the house in the Italian style.|
The House Museum Son Marroig (Casa Museo de Son Marroig) is a private institution that was created in 1927 to preserve, promote and divulge the emblematic figure of the Archduke Ludwig Salvator. The main objective of the museum is to show all visitors the work of the author of the best writing on the islands "The Balearic", his love of nature and its commitment to regional history book.
|The main façade, with three floors, is facing northeast. The arch of the portal is surmounted by a religious symbol, the symbol of Christ (IHS). On the ground floor on the sides of the gate, there are two rectangular windows. On the first floor there are three rectangular windows, while in the second floor in the space normally occupied by the porch, are also four rectangular windows. To the right of the main facade rises northwest building which contains, on the ground floor, a mill, the first floor there is a large round-arched window with balustrade. North-east we see a gallery of regional style, with arches (three front and one on each side) and a terrace with a balustrade.|
|The Tower (Torre de Son Marroig)|
|One of the most characteristic elements of the architecture of Son Marroig is his defense tower, which probably dates from the sixteenth century. This in turn protects the homes of frequent attacks by Barbary pirates who enjoyed the protection of the Foradada to land ashore. Legend has it - as written by the Archduke himself - that it is in this tower that was captured last woman Mallorca taken captive by the Moors in the late eighteenth century.|
The Tower Son Marroig is a square tower, with thick walls and a single portal small, forming an arch, located on the north side, opposite the main gate of the house. The tower contains defensive elements, such as battlements that protected the access door and windows. The roof is tiled, hipped roofs.
At the time of the Archduke, the tower was decorated with two windows of the sixteenth century Renaissance style, recovered from a collapsed house, one of the windows is located north-east and the other facing the is. The first amounts adorned with grotesque decorations on the plant theme, while the second is adorned with pilasters anthropomorphic, and bears the name Carbonell registered its lintel.
Today, inside the tower, you can see a bed of the seventeenth century.
|The ground floor|
|One enters the mansion by a ground-floor rustic cobblestone floor. Upon entering, the first wing is occupied by a vestibule with a door on the right that allows access to a small room with a fireplace and the floor is paved, on the left wall you can see a map of the area of area in the late nineteenth century.|
|The lobby communicates with the downstairs room, which occupies the second wing. Room is rectangular, divided by an arc which is on the left of the entry, in the longitudinal direction, the ceiling beams, with one cross beam, and the pad leads to garden soil.|
On the right as you enter, there is a staircase leading to the main floor, which opens with two bows slightly lowered, supported by Ionic column sitting on a pedestal.
|In the southern part of the left wall, a rounded door gives direct access to the old chapel, which is not dedicated today.|
The room is furnished with beautiful pieces of furniture and pieces of art, antique paintings in particular, among which there is a painting of the Immaculate between father Castañeda and Catherine Thomas.
As a curiosity, there is a vertebra and a rib of a great whale, reminiscent of the great interest of the Archduke by the themes of nature.
|On the back of the house is the only room, quite small, which can be visited. The bed is topped with a beautiful old carved wooden canopy.|
|The Living Room|
|The living room on the first floor is the main hall of the museum are gathered objects that evoke the figure of the Archduke his drawings, books and personal belongings.|
In a showcase presented the books he wrote, including some volumes of the book dedicated to Archduke Islands, on the walls, documents, photographs, portraits and maps are exposed.
|Other windows have necklaces and Phoenician artefacts and a small collection of Greek and Roman pottery. There is also an alabaster Virgin thirteenth century, Roman amphorae, ancient Majorcan furniture, Greek statuettes, Majorcan fabrics.|
The walls of the living room hangs a large collection of paintings from the nineteenth century Majorcan, Joaquim Mir, Antoni Ribas Oliver, Antoni Ribas Prats, Joan Bauza, Hubert Erwin and Piza.
|The Dining Room|
|Beside the living room is the dining room with antique porcelain and ceramics.|
|From the balcony of the dining Son Marroig can enjoy a magnificent view of the north coast of Majorca and the promontory of Sa Foradada pierced by the sea|
|The tour of the house continues with a visit to the gardens, where the Archduke has left its mark: with his huge tank, the view "Des Galliner" and Ionic temple in Carrara marble. However this little garden with lush plants or flowers.|
|The Archduke was also built at one end of the garden, on a rocky outcrop, a small neoclassical Ionic Carrara marble temple (actually Seravezza). This temple is an imitation of that which is in the island garden Pallavicini in Pegli near Genoa, which itself mimics the Greek tholos. The temple stands on a circular base with four steps and consists of eight Ionic columns. The floor is decorated with flowers and ribbons carved. A dome roof is topped with a flower. Louis Savior brought up in Italy and transported here.|
|The temple overlooks the tip of Sa Foradada and offers spectacular views of the coast of Miramar, beautiful at sunset, on the Serra de Tramuntana and the surrounding cliffs. On a clear day you can sometimes see in the distance the island of Sa Dragonera, on the extreme southwest coast of Mallorca.|
|The Bored Rock (Sa Foradada)|
|Approximately 250 m below the residence of Son Marroig the rocks protruding from Sa Foradada and conspicuous hole in the rock can be seen.|
The part of the area now known as the Sa Foradada (perforated) coast was once a small island off the coast, today became a peninsula.
In 1582 Sa Foradada was the scene of a bloody battle in which 50 people have defeated an invading force of 150 Moors from North Africa. This famous victory went to the local history, and is commemorated on May 13 of each year, a reenactment of the battle between the Moors and Christians. Following this battle, and other attacks, a series of fortified watchtowers were built along the northwest coast, whose remains are still visible today.
Archduke used the small natural harbor to anchor his yacht "Nixe".
As a visitor to the mansion, there is the possibility, with the permission of the guardian, take the private road about 3.5 km long down to the Bored Rock.
|The area of Son Marroig was known before the seventeenth century, under the name of the Foradada dels Masroig. From that date and until the eighteenth century, it was called the Masroig La Foradada.|
|In 1624, the estate was owned by Gabriel Masroig de la Foradada, and in 1685 is estimated at a value of 11,000 pounds. In 1863, he went to Cortei family.|
Until 1870, before being purchased by the Archduke, the area of Son Marroig was the venue for the cultivation of olive trees, vineyards and grain fields, he also produced honey and silkworm.
The house was considered by Archduke Louis Savior as one of the best located homes in Mallorca and as essential to the reconstruction project Miramar. The acquisition by the Archduke was not easy, but in 1877, he could finally buy the domain, even if had to pay the family Cortei much higher than its actual value amount. But the Archduke said that all the money they had obtained did not even pay the hole Sa Foradada. The area, including the Foradada, had an area of 68 ha.
Son Marroig was the habitual residence of the Secretary of the Archduke, Antoni Vives Colom, married in 1879 to Luisa Venezze, died at Son Marroig in 1896 and his second wife, Ana Ripoll.
On the death of the Archduke in 1915, the area of Son Marroig, like all his property in Majorca, was bequeathed to his secretary, Antoni Vives Colom, who possessed the little time he died in 1918. The property then went to his daughter, Luisa Ripoll Vives, wife of the painter Antoni Ribas Prats, it was installed there in 1928, the museum dedicated to the figure of the Archduke. Currently, the owner is Isabel Ribas Vives, daughter of the painter and Luisa Vives.
|Archduke Louis Savior of Habsburg and Bourbon|
|The Austrian Archduke Louis Savior Habsburg and Bourbon (Ludwig Salvator von Habsburg-Lothringen und Bourbon) was born August 5, 1847 in the Pitti Palace in Florence, Italy, son of Leopold II of Tuscany and Marie- Antoinette de Bourbon. His father Leopold II ruled Tuscany, then Austria. Leopold II was forced to abdicate in 1859, which freed his son from all monarchical duties.|
|In Catalan Spanish, the Archduke is named Arxiduc Lluís Salvador d’Habsburg-Lorena i Borbon, and Castilian Spanish Archiduque Luis Salvador. The people of Majorca called colloquially "S’Arxiduc".|
Tireless navigator, explorer, author of travel books, passionate about the arts and science, Archduke Louis Savior came for the first time in Mallorca in 1867, while traveling incognito under the name of Count of Neudorf. He lived some time in the island before embarking on overseas. The nature of the island, the vastness of the sea and the Tramuntana seduced to the point that over the last thirty years of the nineteenth century, he acquired a large number of Majorcan properties. Louis Saviour returned to Mallorca. During his walks, he reached the north coast of Majorca, and lovers of beautiful landscapes Miramar (a former monastery founded by Raymond Lull), he bought the property.
He made successively along with other areas of the Majorcan countryside such as S’Estaca, and Son Marroig, whose view of the rock of La Foradada had struck during his first visit to the coast.
Here are the words of the archduke in his little book Majorcan "What I know of Miramar" on page 46:
"Only Son Marroig, due to its location with views of La Dragonera seemed incomparably more beautiful."
The prince built the current home of Son Marroig in the proportions of the former. Mallorca became his primary residence in 1872, remained there until the eve of the war in 1913. His stay was only interrupted by his travels through research that explored the Mediterranean aboard his yacht, the "Nixe".
Properties covering 3,500 hectares and were grouped around Miramar, in the towns of Valldemossa and Deià. Another was to Sant Elm. He spent substantial sums in the purchase of land adjacent to his property, to avoid the felling of trees, he hated to see fall under the ax of loggers. The scenery seemed to him incomparable, and he did much to promote the Balearics.
"Almost everywhere Coast steep down to the translucent waters. On terraced slopes amount of olive trees and pines. The decor is dominated by the Sierra Tramuntana, always wearing a bright sky. "
From the viewpoints located about 300 meters, you could discover stunning sunsets, he loved to watch his visitors. From there, we could reach the beach of Sa Foradada, where the Prince often moored his yacht.
Generous and sociable, willing to allow anyone to know his country, he was in a house called Cado Mado Pilla, now defunct, allowed anyone who wanted to stay three days, free of charge. The guest had at his disposal the house, light, oil, olives and fruit. Paul Morand has benefited from the hospitality, and he did, in "Mediterranean Sea surprises" the following description:
"The hospederia is a cabin with a double bed and is accessed through the branches of a fig tree. it feeds on figs, and has the most beautiful view overlooking the sea cobalt entire coastline. "
His cousin, Empress Elisabeth of Austria and Queen of Hungary ("Sissi"), who many believed, visited him twice in Majorca with his yacht "Miramar" (1892).
The Archduke had a vast culture, loving art and science. He settled in Mallorca, to continue his studies in order to publish a book on the Balearic Islands. His work in seven volumes (shown in the drawings), to which he devoted twenty years, "The Balearic portrayed in words and pictures" ("Die Balearen in Wort und Bild geschildert") was published from 1869 to 1891 in the Brockhaus publishing house and is still considered authoritative.
Louis Saviour had a love of nature and its interests lay in the natural sciences, which he had acquired a vast knowledge, ethnography and geography. As conservationist, Archduke prohibits logging and hunting on his property.
He was interested, among other underground areas, very important in the island of Majorca. The caves on the island are remarkable, and in 1896, Archduke invited the famous French caver Édouard-Alfred Martel to come explore and establish the general statement. One of the best known in the enclosure of which is Lake Martel, one of the largest in the world, opens in Manacor.
"S’Arxiduc", name under which it is popularly known Archduke Louis Savior in Majorca, has always shown a great willingness to integrate in the Majorcan society even to learn Catalan, he was deeply interested in the customs and traditions of the island.
He was the first to introduce the beauty of the island in world tourism in 1877, in gratitude to his task of disclosure, he was distinguished with the title of honor of the city of Palma citizen, in 1910, of the island of Majorca. At the Universal Exhibition in Paris in 1889, he was honored for his contribution to the early days of tourism in Mallorca.
During World War Ludwig Salvator had to return to Bohemia on the order of the emperor. He died there on October 12, 1915 in his castle Brandais Bohemia in the Czechia. He was embalmed and in 1918 moved into the imperial crypt of the Capuchin Church in Vienna, where he is buried with his family.
For more information, visit: www.ludwig-salvator.com
|Address: Carretera Ma-10 Valldemossa - Deià, km 65.5|
Open all year round from Monday to Saturday, from 9:30 to 18:00 in winter and up to 20:00 in summer. Closed on Sundays.
Admission: € 3 for adults.
Phone: 00 34 971 639 158
Site on the Web: www.sonmarroig.com