|Igreja de São Pedro|
|On the small place with the angle of the calçada of Santa Clara, the modest frontage of the church Saint Pierre, set up at the end of the 16th century and renovated with 18th, dissimulates a splendid nave of a rather great interest: furnace bridges baroques out of gilded wood, statues, stalls in mahogany tree, ceiling painted in trompe-l’oeil, azulejos blue and white laid out in geometrical figures and small vault (left side) with its two side platforms.|
|The old palace of São Pedro (18th century), located on the other side of the crossroads, shelters an aquarium, the library of the city, and the municipal Museum devoted to the natural history.|
The aquarium, at the ground floor, is interesting: you will see species particular there to sea-beds close to Madeira, including tortoises, and even a shark. On the first floor, occupied by the library, are presented charts, engravings and objects relating to the history of the Madeira.
The museum of Natural history occupies the second stage. The many giant animals that one sees there were captured off the coasts, in particular horned a line known as devil of sea, whose scale reaches 2 Mr. the collection also understands a large variety of sharks, splendid fish the moons, dolphins, cachalots, several skeletons of old seaman, and an important ornithological section (waders in particular).
Visits of the Monday to Saturday of 10:00 to 20:00, 12:00 at 18:00 Sunday and bank holidays.
|Igreja E Mosteiro of Santa Clara|
|Stiff the calçada of Santa Clara climbs in a district much calmer towards the convent of the same name and Quinta das Cruzes.|
The convent Sainte Claire was founded the year of the discovery of America (1492) to the site of the church set up by Zarco, and increased at the 17th century. The large navigator Zarco, the discoverer of the Madeira, rests in this convent.
The girl of the discoverer of Madeira entered to the convent of the clarisses, and Zarco thus showed generosity towards the convent, allotting grounds to him, in particular in the “Valley of the Nuns” (or rather, the enclosure of the Nuns), Curral das Freiras. At the time of a French pirate raid, the clarisses of this convent found refuge with Curral das Freiras.
|The bell-tower of the church of the monastery is recognized by far thanks to its curious roof in the shape of cupola covered of azulejos as invaluable as old.|
|The vault is a splendid building: after having descended the few steps, one discovers the yellow and blue walls entirely covered with azulejos of the 17th century, with the geometrical drawings, among which specimens from Seville rare, as well as impressive grids at the bottom of the nave. At the bottom, in the half-light, overcome of a platform and supported by lions, the Gothic tomb of Zarco under a multifoil Gothic enfeu in rather bad condition is, and the memorial which was dedicated to him disappeared for a long time.|
|The tomb located at the bottom of the church is that of members of its family: its two grand-daughters, founders of the old convent of the clarisses, are buried there. Decorative planks of azulejos baroques frame, inside the church, the tomb of the son-in-law of Zarco.|
|The convent from now on is directed by Franciscan sisters who created a nursery school there.|
|Quinta das Cruzes|
|See Quinta das Cruzes.|
|Strong do Pico|
|The slope of the calçada do Pico leads at the height of the Peak, also called Forte São João Baptista. Raised under Philippe IV of Spain between 1620 and 1640 to reinforce the defense system of the town of Funchal against the frequent attacks of the pirates, it orders the site of bay to 110 m of altitude. The services of the National marine and a radio station are installed today there. By sailing round Quinta das Cruzes by small the rua das Cruzes (on the right while leaving), one quickly reaches a view-point with the benches of earthenware squares, from where one can observe the fort with leisure all while saving the rise of the calçada. At the end of this rua das Cruzes, the small vault of São Paulo was founded by Zarco.|
The fort is occupied today by the Portuguese army, but a room was arranged in museum open every day to the public.
View-point, one goes down again towards the center of Funchal. Arrived rua da Carreira Prestana, to take on the left and follow the street until the praça do Municipio. One then crosses popular quarters rich in restaurants.