|Park of Santa Catarina|
|Looking at bay, the Park Holy Catherine is staged by stages above the small vault of Santa Catarina founded in 1425 by Zarco. The flowered trees occupy all the terraces and its alleys offer a very pleasant walk.|
Among the flowers, a statue (modern) of Christophe Colomb recalls that the navigator remained in Madeira; lost in his thoughts, the navigator looks in the direction of the Atlantic and one tells that it is here precisely, finally on the island close to Oporto Santo, that to him the idea has just launched out on a tour of Nouveau World.
Another statue decorates the park: O Semeador, the sower, whose arm describes a broad movement, surveys the lawn - it was carved in 1919 by Francisco Franco, a famous child of Madeira.
Other gardens, neighbors, are also opened with the public: those of the quintas Pavão or Bianchi, for example.
|Capela de Santa Catarina|
|The garden Sainte-Catherine occupies the site of the old cemetery of Angustias, whose vault Sainte-Catherine, built in 1425, marks the limit in the east. It is oldest of the churches of Funchal: it would have been offered in 1423 by the wife of the governor of the island, Zarco. The building, at the wood origin, underwent several modifications and is presented today in the style baroque of the 17th century. Under the narthex, supported by columns, an invaluable baptistry manuélin is preserved. Terrace which precedes the red gantry of lava, the glance embraces the port and all the city staged in amphitheater.|
|At the Western end of the park Sainte-Catherine the elegant official residence of the President of the Regional government of Madeira is, Quinta Vigia (known also under the name of Quinta Angustias) with the pink colors.|
|Hospício da Princesa Gave Maria Amélia|
|The gardens of the Marie-Amélie Princess presents splendid specimens of the flora of the country, many trees and a splendid coloured vegetation. Except the superb garden, one finds there a private school for the children and a house for elderly. At the origin, it was a hospital for the patients reached of tuberculosis, based in 1859 by the empress Amélia Augusta Eugênia de Leuchtenberg in memory with his/her daughter, princess D. Maria Amélia, died of tuberculosis in 1853 at the 22 years age on the Madeira.|
|All at the top of park, the complex of the casino was drawn and built in 1979 by Óscar Niemeyer, the architect of Brasilia in Brazil. Besides to note its resemblance to the cathedral of Brasilia. It dominates the port and offers a pretty sight on bay.|
The park of the casino occupies the field of the quinta da Vigia (House of the Watchtower), an imposing pink residence where lived the Adélaïde queen of England (1848), then the empress Elisabeth of Austria, the more known wife of François-Joseph under the nickname of Sissi: the banana trees which she liked were replaced by others which perpetuate the memory of it.
|West of casino, beyond duRibeiro Seco, broad rectilinear avenues lead to the residential suburbs of Funchal, where the turns of the large hotels are drawn up.|
|Praça do Infante|
|Avenida do Infante goes down until a circular place, the Place of the Infante, in the center of which draws up itself, below the capela of Santa Catarina, a fountain in rotunda whose sculpture represents a sphere armillaire out of bronze.|
Close from there, on the avenida do Infante, a statue represents Henri the Navigator who, under a high warhead of volcanic lava, contemplates the symbol of the order of which he was the Master. Of his site in edge of the place, Henri the Navigator seems to attentively observe this instrument essential to the Portuguese at the time of their voyages of exploration.
While going down towards the sea and while taking the rua da Pontinha, one can go to walk on the long dam where the steamers accost. Built to the 18th century and prolonged on several occasions, the quay passes under the fortress da Conceição (19th century) before offering a splendid panoramic sight on the site of Funchal.
|The commercial port is announced by its long dam, the pontinha, built at the end of the 18th century to connect a small island to the ground and prolonged twice. He plays a big role since most goods arrive to Madeira by sea route.|