The town of Alaró in Majorca
|Etymology and toponymy|
|The name of Alaró comes from the name a Moorish farm called Oloron.|
The name comes from the Arabic phrase Hisn al-rum (حصن الروم) "Roman fortress", derived from hisn (حصن) "castle" or "fortress" and al-rum (الروم), "Roman" or "Byzantine "preceded by the article" al ".
|The Alaró Castle (Castell d’Alaró)|
|The Alaró castle is an eagle nest perched at 900 m on the mountain of Alaró in the Serra de Tramuntana, with beautiful views over the plain to Palma de Mallorca and bays of Alcúdia.|
The castle is in ruins, but there is still a sanctuary of the seventeenth century, the Mare de Déu del Refugi and a haven for walkers who wish to spend the night, subject to some modest participation.
To visit the castle, he must reach the town of Alaró, then head of the valley of Orient to cross the road to the castle, signposted. Following this road you reach the hamlet of Es Verger located mid-slope, where there is a restaurant and parking. The walk starts here and continues until Es Pouet where the old stone path begins, the only way to reach the door of this magnificent castle.
In general, the Alaró castle is very popular with the masses of tourists, bus access is impossible.
|The Railway of Alaró|
|In 1880, two residents of Alaró, Jaume Comes Frau and Josep Sureda Villalonga, obtained the grant of a railway line operated by the Sociedad del Ferrocarril de Alaró, connecting the city to the station Palma- Inca, located the territory of Consell (then belonging to the town of Alaró). Until 1922, when were purchased two diesel locomotives (named names Sant Cabrit and Sant Bassa), traction was provided by mules in the direction of the rise and by simple gravity in the direction of descent. This railroad was operated until 1934. Between 1944 and 1945 were built new paths used by Ferrocarriles de Mallorca to transport lignite from the mines of Alaró to the Consell station. After 1951, the tracks were eventually removed.|
|Hiking in the vicinity of Alaró|
|The tragic history of the Kingdom of Majorca is inextricably linked to the defense of Castell d’Alaró.|
|For eight years, at the beginning of the tenth century, the fortress was the subject of attacks by Moors. These attacks continued until, finally, in the year 903, Mallorca came under the rule of the Umayyad emir of Spain. According to the chronicles of the time, the Alaró castle was the last stronghold held by Christians. The Moors called the Castle of Christians.|
The Alaró name Hisn al-arun, is in a text of Al-Zuhri, in which is described the conquest of the island by the Muslims in the year 903. Al-Zuhri mentions a fortress built on a high and lonely place, Hisn al-arun (حصن الارون).
It is unclear why the Arab governor Benahabat gave the castle without a fight, shortly after the Christian reconquest in 1231. Once again, the fortress was enlarged and modernized, it was now considered impregnable.
The documented history of Alaró begins in the thirteenth century, from the conquest of Majorca, and revolves around the castle.
Jaume II, King of Majorca, was the uncle of the king of Aragon, Alfonso II, but as king of Majorca, he was the vassal of the Crown of Aragon, but Jaume II was not loyal and secretly forged an alliance with France. Also, while the King Jaume II was in Perpignan (Perpinyà), Alfonso II of Aragon led a punitive expedition in Mallorca, Palma was conquered in a few days by the Aragonese Pere el Gran, 25 November 1285.
The Castell d’Alaró was the only way to resist, but eventually the castle was attacked Dec. 30, 1285. Its garrison, consisting among others of Ramon Ballester, Guillem Capello and Guillem Bassa, perished in the attack.
Legend has it that the noble Majorcan Capello and Bassa, after being captured, mocked King Alfonso, saying that Mallorca grouper (Anfos in Catalan, with the same sound that Alfons) is eaten with sauce. The king replied that their braised goat was delicious, and they were condemned by King Alfonso to be roasted alive on a spit over hot coals for not having recognized as king of Majorca and be loyal to King James. Hence the nicknames given to Guillem Capello, Cabrit ("goat") and Guillem Bassa, Brasa ("charcoal"). This barbaric act was the reason for the excommunication of Alfonso II the Pope.
Jaume II returned to his Kingdom of Majorca after an oath of loyalty to the Aragon.
During the final destruction of the kingdom of Majorca by Pere IV of Aragon in 1349, was also destroyed the Castell d’Alaró, the castle remained in ruins until now.
|Regarding agriculture, the town is mainly forest (pine, oak,…), if we consider the surfaces. For crops, the largest by area are, in order: olive, almond, carob and fig trees. It should be added that agriculture is mainly rain. Livestock is also important to Alaró, with, in order of importance: cattle, sheep, pigs and goats. Added to this is the presence of a poultry for egg production.|
One of the most important economic activities in Alaró has been for years, and is still, despite the crisis, the shoe industry, in its moments of splendor she worked more than 30 factories and 2,000 people. Today, this economic activity was minimal, with only one large company in this sector.
Alaró also had large lignite mines, now closed, for the production of electricity, which, in recent years, belonged to the power company GESA (now part of Endesa).
Today, the town of Alaró, like many other villages on the island, has become a dormitory town most of whose inhabitants work in the island’s capital, Palma de Mallorca and in the neighboring city of Inca.
|Country inn Alaró Castle - located below the castle ruins - offers rooms, a bar and a family restaurant that serves simple meals around € 15 and is open all year.|
Information and reservations: 00 34 971 182 112.