|Can Dameto the Quartera|
|The Can Dameto de la Quartera is at No. 4 Carrer de la Samaritana. This mansion was built in the Gothic style. The facade is characterized by pointed arches and the remains of twin arched windows separated by a column. A gargoyle shows the limits of the old building. An additional floor was added with awning in the eighteenth century. The patio still retains the late Gothic octagonal column, this patio was transformed in the seventeenth century. The original balcony was removed when changes in the nineteenth century and was converted into a covered corridor.|
This house was owned by the Vallespir family of the town of Inca. In the eighteenth century, it was sold to the Dameto family. From that time the house will be known as Can Dameto. Later, however, "de la Quartera" will be added to the name, by reference to the adjacent square, Plaça de Sa Quartera.
|The Franciscan Monastery|
|Go to the Franciscan Monastery.|
|The patio is the Can March, 5 Carrer del Convent de Sant Francesc.|
The front of the Can March has four floors. Its doorway is semicircular, wider at the bottom to allow the passage of vehicles. On the first floor there are balconies, while the terrace is equipped with ogee arches.
Admission includes two separated by a large arch and covered with wooden beams spaces. On the left are two other sections covered. Pilasters arches are Tuscan style. An archway opens onto the courtyard. To the right of the court stairs rotates counterclockwise is.
At the end of the courtyard, under the stairs, there is another arch, surrounded by a wooden fence, and another arc on the left. To the left of it opens a small Gothic portal.
In the seventeenth century, the house was owned by Villalonga, then in the first half of the eighteenth century, it belonged to Pere Jeroni net Armengol. This surname has died in 1817 at the death of Antoni Nét Escofet.
In 1846 the house was acquired by Miquel Font Muntaner, which is why this patio is known as Ca’n Nét or Ca’n Font.
The building went through many transformations in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, especially those made by the architect Guillem Reynés, who used the traditional Majorcan code patios.
|The Can Cera is at number 8 of the Carrer del Convent de Sant Francesc, the heart of the old town, near the cathedral, between the Place St. Eulalia and the Place St. Francis.|
With over 700 years of existence, the Can Cera is one of the oldest houses in Palma: its origin is prior to the conquest of Mallorca by Jaume I (1232), arrived on the island in the company of Catalans and Aragonese.
We all know the owners of this house since the reconquest. Jaume I gave freehold Rolland Layno. She then passed successively to Francesc Desportell until 1351, then families Desbach, Reixach, Amer and Mayol, until family Palou de Comassema in the second half of the eighteenth century made it his principal residence. That’s why Can Cera is also known as Can Comassema.
Over the years, with different owners, Can Cera underwent numerous expansions and numerous renovations, according to the artistic styles of each era. The biggest renovation was half of the seventeenth century when, as in many homes in the area, under the influence of the Italian Renaissance architects, famous patios were created, giving these homes a very attractive personality, but always in great austerity.
1822, Can Cera was purchased by the Aguiló family, a family known as the "Cera" (wax) which turned deep owners. The Aguiló family largely kept the facade and the original distribution, the Court of traditional entrance, but the decor and furnishings can enjoy the sumptuous and eclectic tastes of the time: large rooms, high ceilings coffered, balconies and most decorated palatial. The patio, though remodeled in the nineteenth century, still has its original structure, and we notice the two large low profile arches made of sandstone, and the elegant side staircase, which at the bottom on the left side retained a Gothic arch, testimony of the medieval past of the house. The house has a lounge Elizabethan furniture and colorful decor and warm, especially a dining room in Art Nouveau style, coated wood and ceramics La Roqueta. A unique and protected area are the stables, which were common in wealthy homes Palma, but most of them have disappeared.
Since that day, the following owners have maintained Can Cera as one of the best examples of XIXth century.
The Can Cera has been transformed into a luxury hotel of twelve rooms, including seven suites with a restaurant. The rooms are spacious, comfortable, quiet, comfortable and very refined decoration. All rooms are different despite their similar style, with large beds, typical of Mallorca, some antique furniture combined with other, modern design, and dressing rooms and large and modern bathrooms.
Phone: 00 34 971 715 012
Site on the Web: www.cancerahotel.com
|Cal Comte de la Cova|
|The Cal Comte de la Cova, at No. 3 Carrer del Sol is a house of medieval origin, dating from the fourteenth century.|
It was in the sixteenth century the property of Francesc Desclapés. In the seventeenth century, Cal Comte de la Cova belonged to the Villalonga family, and first Don Francesc de Villalonga i Fortuny, whom King Philip IV had granted the title of Count of Cova, which gave its name to the house. At that time the building underwent several renovations and contributions of late Renaissance style. Over time, it passed into the hands of various owners. In the twentieth century it belonged to the Bosch family, a period that also brought renovations.
The patio is distinguished by its monumental and medieval elements still preserved. At the entrance we see the coffered ceiling in the fourteenth century polychrome wood, Mudejar, in the courtyard, the staircase in the late Gothic style, was restored a few years ago, still has panels with interlacing original.
In recent years, the School of Tourism has its headquarters in the Cal Comte de la Cova.
|Cal Marquès del Palmer|
|At No. 7 Carrer de Sol, the Cal Marquès del Palmer is one of the most remarkable Palma stately homes. It was built in 1556 by Captain Pere Shelter Descatlar, aide to Philip II. The impressive Renaissance façade shows a unique example of wall sculpture in stone, now blackened with age. While retaining elements of the Renaissance patio, patio has undergone successive alterations made during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Upstairs Renaissance decoration windows reduces the austere Gothic wall. The upper gallery, housed the classic awning, is a replica of that of Sa Llotja.|
|Can Bisquerra de Gabellí|
|At No. 12 Carrer de Sol, Can Bisquerra de Gabellí is a sixteenth century, but the patio and iron railings that adorn the staircase dating from the seventeenth century.|
|The Mount Zion Church (Església de Monti Sion / Iglesia de Monte Sion)|
|The church of Mount Zion is located in the street of the same name, at number 22 Carrer de Monti-Sion, which is a fine example of Baroque style.|
In 1561, the Jesuits arrived in Mallorca under the guidance of Father Jeroni Nadal. The Jesuits occupied what had been the previous Estudi General Lul·Lia, where once stood the Great Synagogue. In 1571, Bartomeu Coch began the construction of the new church, funded by Ramon de Veri.
The building has a single nave with a square head and six chapels on each side. In the first chapel on the left is the tomb of St. Alonso Rodriguez who was the pastor of this church for many years, until his death in 1617.
The portico dates from 1683. The altarpiece of the fifteenth century is due to the Majorcan school.
|The Children’s House (La Casa de la Criança)|
|At No. 13 Carrer de Monti-Sion is La Casa de la Criança, a building of the sixteenth century (1510), which was like other houses on this street, the property of Canon Antoní Genovard. Antoní Genovard donated the house and created the Casa Pia de la Criança, an institution dedicated to the education of girls of the nobility the Criança was, after its foundation, led by Sister Isabel Cifre.|
The patio is a fine example of medieval typology, although transformed, noticed by his court, and two Gothic arches supported by octagonal pillars. On the walls you can see the remains of some old mullioned windows. In the center, an old well with a collar of limestone. On one of the sides of the patio, there are the remains of a medieval staircase, as well as sections of the old siding built in sandstone. The old chapel has a beautiful Renaissance altarpiece, he restored a few years ago.
|The Can Muntaner is located at number 11 Carrer de Sant Alonso. This house is dated eighteenth - early nineteenth century, although the former seems patio. It is accessed through a gate, the source of semi-circular and flat, a combination of limestone and sandstone. At the entrance, covered by a beamed ceiling, we see a flattened arch that leads to the area where the patio should be open. The side staircase, at the bottom, leads to the upper floors of the building.|
|The Can Lladó is located at number 4 of Carrer del Vent. It is a medieval building that belonged to the family Balaguer del Racó, from Puigpunyent. The historian Jaume Lladó i Ferragut was acquired in 1928. It is currently owned by his family. The set retains the intimate structure of the medieval courtyards. The inlet communicates with the patio by a gate with a limestone lintel. Basically the side stairs two sections is.|
|The Can Dusai is number 3 Carrer de Can Dusai.|
Can Dusai is the house of the sixteenth century. The large low arch, supported on pilasters, shows the architecture of the patios of the early seventeenth century. Although it was restored in the twentieth century, we guess, on the stairs, its original appearance. Since the seventeenth century, it is the property of Dusay a family from Sardinia. The crest of this family can be seen in the arcades of the courtyard.
|The Old Jewish Quarter of Major Call|
|Go to Call Major.|
|The Old Jewish Quarter Portella|
|Go to the Jewish Quarter of the Almudaina.|
|The Old Jewish Quarter of Callet or Call Menor|
|Go to Call Menor.|
|At No. 4 Carrer de la Portella, the Can Pasqual has elements of the sixteenth, seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. The patio has been renovated late nineteenth century, when it was introduced a wide staircase in the style of nineteenth century neo-Gothic windows.|
|Ca la Gran Cristiana|
|The Ca la Gran Cristiana, located at No. 5 Carrer de la Portella is originally Gothic building transformed by the first Earl of Ayamans (sixteenth century). It was home to the families Togores (sixteenth century) and Villalonga (sixteenth century). The badge on the front of the seventh Earl of Ayamans. The Ca la Gran Cristiana named Doña Catalina Zaforteza i Togores, emblematic of the Carlist Majorcan and owner of this mansion in the nineteenth century. She was renowned as a great Christian and was known by the nickname of "Great Christine."|
According to legend, the Coch knight killed a dragon at the gate, he gave to his fiancée, the daughter of the house.
The building was acquired in 1968 by the Museum of Mallorca where she became the seat.
|The Historical Museum of Mallorca (Museu Històric de Mallorca)|
|The Historical Museum of Mallorca has three sections: Archaeology, Fine Arts and Ethnography. Only the first two sections are installed in the Ca la Gran Cristiana, the Ethnography section is Muro.|
The whole history of Mallorca is traced in this museum with outstanding collections.
The prehistoric objects found on the island are numerous, but presented in a fairly educational.
The museum also has a small section devoted to the remains of the Muslim era: under Muslim occupation of the eighth century to 1229, Palma was called Madina Mayurga. It was the twelfth century one of the most important of al-Andalus cities. This time still only the Almudaina, the Arab Baths and the arc of the Almudaina. On the ground floor of the museum are exposed capitals, artesonados ceilings and ceramics of this period.
Section of Fine Arts presents an excellent selection of Majorcan Gothic painting of the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries. The works of the first half of the fourteenth century clearly show Italian influence: among its oldest artist dominates the master Privileges, influenced by the Sienese miniatures, which we can see an altarpiece of St. Quiterie.
From 1349, the date of the annexation of Mallorca by the Kingdom of Aragon, returns to the school of Catalan painting: the "Crucifixion" of Ramón Destorrents, interesting by its composition and facial expressions, influence of other painters. In room 2 exposed the "Annunciation," "Lucia" and "Sainte Madeleine" the master of the Bishop Galiana (late fourteenth century). Francesc Comes, one of the most prestigious in the early fifteenth century painters, is represented by a "St. George" by striking the interests of the great depth and execution of the landscape. We also note the altarpiece of Saint Onufre the master predellas (fifteenth century). In the rooms devoted to the sixteenth, seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, we see Saint Michael and Saint John by Juan de Juanes.
Address: Carrer de la Portella, 5
Hours: 10:00 to 14:00 and from 17:00 to 19:00, Sunday from 10:00 to 14:00, closed on Mondays and holidays.
Entry fee: € 2.50; Free admission on Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.
Phone: 00 34 971 71 75 40
|The Can Espanya-Serra at No. 8 Carrer de la Portella, was built in the nineteenth century on the site of a medieval building. We note its neo-Gothic staircase, which mimics many medieval stairs which are then met in the city.|
In the fourteenth century, the house belonged to the family Oleza. In the eighteenth century, it was owned by Don Serra Ferragut y Bonaventura (1728-1784), chronicler of the city and one of the most important scholars of his time. Finally Serra tied links with the Espanya family. During the twentieth century, the building served as an inn.
|The House Museum Joaquim Torrents-Lladó (Casa-Museu Joaquim Torrents-Lladó) - Can Morey Sant Martí|
|The Can Morey-Sant Martí, located at No. 9 Carrer de la Portella, houses the Museum of the Catalan painter Joaquim Torrents-Lladó (1946-1993). The house was, in the early twentieth century, the property Antoni Marques Luigi. His heirs sold the property to Joaquim Torrents-Lladó in 1973, it moved his residence and studio. The lintel portal opens into the entrance, which has a tiled floor and a coffered ceiling. An arched porch leads to the patio. On the left stands a stone wall of medieval origin, surmounted by a Gothic gallery. The staircase leads to the upper floor, the furniture of the nineteenth century, which exhibits the works of the museum.|
The museum displays more than 120 works by the Catalan artist J. Torrents-Lladó (1946-1993), including many portraits and landscapes.
Schedule: June 15 to September 15, every day except Sunday and Monday from 11:00 to 19:00, Saturday from 10:00 to 14:00, from September 15 to June 15, every day except Sunday and Monday, 11:00 to 18:00, Saturday from 10:00 to 14:00.
Entry fee: € 4.
Phone: 00 34 971 729 835
Site on the Web: www.jtorrentsllado.com
|Cal Marques de la Torre|
|The construction of the Cal Marques de la Torre, located at No. 14 Carrer de la Portella, was ordered in 1696 by Don Francesc Truyols i Font de la Roqueta in terms of Navarre military engineer Martín Gil Gainza, which came to Mallorca to work on the construction of the walls, the wall that closes the court is a part of the medieval walls. This particular hotel is the Renaissance style (late seventeenth century).|
The hotel is named after the title of Marquis de la Torre that the Archduke Charles, pretender to the Spanish crown during the war of succession, had given Don Nicolau Truyols i Dameto.
|The spiral staircase was added in the nineteenth century, next is the badge of Truyols.|
Cal Marques de la Torre is now occupied by the College of Architects of the Balearic Islands.
|Arab Baths (Banys Àrabs / Baños Árabes)|
|The Arab Baths in Palma is the only building still intact reflecting the Muslim presence in Palma de Mallorca, then called Madina Mayurga, and one of the few vestiges of this time in the Balearic Islands.|
We could not accurately determine the age of these baths, but most historians agree that the tenth century AD would be the most likely time. By cons it is certain that it was built from older items, such as capitals of earlier eras (Byzantine or Roman).
These facilities should be part of the palace or fortress, belonging to a rich Arab notable of the medina, and should be backed this building. They are identical to those that were used in some Muslim cities, spas, meeting and pleasure, copied from the Romans.
One enters the baths by a door with an arch-shaped horseshoe through the thick wall. Only two rooms, the central hall for hot baths and an adjoining room, were preserved.
The room warm baths, caldarium, is a piece of square covered with a dome supported by twelve columns. The brick dome in the shape of a half moon, was pierced by 25 holes, or oculi - most still sealed - designed to ventilate the room and the light diffusely. The arches iron horse to the dome are based on columns with capitals rudimentary and irregular shapes, recovered from Roman buildings.
The floor of the caldarium was formed by two year paving with openings let the vapors escape the fire, warming the atmosphere and the pavement system (hypocaust). To intensify the action of certain facilities, they threw hot water from the top floor, the water turned into an intense and thick vapor. There are still vestiges of home and hot water pipes and steam.
A narrow corridor leads to an adjoining room with a barrel vault, which was to be the room with warm water, or tequila. It would normally also be a frigidarium.
These baths have continued to be used after the reconquest by the Christians and Jews.
Before the nineteenth century, the garden and the bathroom were part of the Can Serra.
|The building is built of Bath in what was the vegetable garden Can Fontirroig, now converted into green space planted with palm trees, plants and cactus.|
Address: Arab Baths (Banys Àrabs) are located in a maze of alleys, at No. 7 Carrer de Can Serra, east of the Cathedral and north of Sea Park (Parc del Mar), in what was the area of Madina Mayurga (or Medina Majurka).
Hours: April to November, from 9:30 to 19:00; December to March, from 9:30 to 17:30.
Entry fee: € 2 (a bit expensive for a few minutes visit).
Phone: 00 34 971 721 549
|The Church of Bon-Secours (Església dels Socors / Iglesia del Socorro)|
|The Church of Our Lady of Good Help was built in the fifteenth century. Its bell tower is attributed to Francisco de Herrera. The dome is Plateresque.|
|The Chapel of the Holy House of the Temple (Casa del Sagrada Temple)|
|This is the oldest chapel of Mallorca and is located in the fortress of the Temple.|
|The Diocesan Museum|
|The Church of St. Jerome (Església de Sant Jeroni)|
|The Church of St. Jerome is number 1 Carrer de la Porta del Mar church was built between 1651 and 1669. It has a single nave divided into four sections, with five irregular rectangular chapels.|
|The Church of St. Claire (Església de Santa Clara)|
|The first reference to St. Claire Monastery Palma dates from the thirteenth century, under the reign of King James I of Aragon. In 1256 Pope Alexander IV gave permission for the creation of a new monastery in Palma request by the Poor Clare Sister Catherine, Abbess of the Monastery of Santa Maria de Tarragona, who wanted to send a group of nuns on the island of Majorca to found a new monastery. Alexander IV sent a letter to the Franciscans of Majorca, in which he charged at all times to help new Clares before settling in the capital of Majorca. On 13 January 1260 the sisters moved into the center of the capital, on land donated for the construction of the monastery. The building was built on the remains of Muslim origin.|
Catalina Berenguer and Guillermina, his sister belonged to the nobility, and this allowed the monastery to grow rapidly. Over the following centuries, the monastery was renovated and expanded, as evidence of these expansions can still see blinded portals, arched, from civil constructions such as house Monzon family. In the seventeenth century, significant changes were made to replace the Gothic part post-Renaissance and almost baroque. In the year 1837, the Franciscan Sisters of the Convent of the Immaculate Conception of the Olivier went to St. Clare Monastery. In 2007, a process was begun to fully restore the monastery.
The present church is the third church built in the convent. The gate dates from 1671 and is lintel. The legs are shaped stems decorated with plant motifs, ears and faces. The entablature is a cornice surmounted by a broken pediment in the center of the pediment, a medallion with a relief depicting the image of St. Clare. On the left side of the facade is a square tower built into the wall with three protruding body.
The chapter house is the sixteenth century. The four chapels on the left are rectangular with a vaulted ceiling, those on the right have different plans and a barrel ceiling.
Above the altar is a statue of the Immaculate Conception, and basically, a statue of St. Clare of Assisi.
The corridors of the cloister contain the Gothic tombs of abbesses.
|The Can Caldés, at number 3 of the Carrer d’en Caldés is a medieval house that has been eclectic transformations during the nineteenth century and modernist restoration in the early twentieth century. It contains the remains of a fourteenth century Gothic gallery with arches, outdoor portal decorated with diamond points.|