The ancient Roman city was located a few meters from the cathedral where the streets intersect St. Roch and the Estudi General stood the forum and the market. These two areas were the "cardo" and "decumanus" founding tract of all Roman cities.
The old city is now bounded by the sea to the south and boulevards in saw teeth in the east, north and west. Until 1900, these arteries were occupied by walls.
Vila de Baix (lower city) where El Born occupies the site of an ancient river and down to the sea;
Dalt Vila (Upper Town) where the Barrio Antiguo houses, besides the cathedral, the most historical monuments of Palma. Sa Lonja and Almudaina are almost detached from Born, which marks the border between these two old districts.
The largest part of the walls of Palma was destroyed at the end of the nineteenth century to facilitate the expansion of the city. Only a few walls of sea walls and a watchtower of the Renaissance remain intact down the Passeig Sa Faxina, but they are no longer bathed by the Mediterranean, as a considerable breadth of land has since been reclaimed from the sea to create the circular boulevard Passeig Maritim and waterfront construction of this section of the defensive perimeter of the city began in 1562 and continued chugging along until 1801.
Palma has more than sixty palaces of the aristocracy or the upper middle class houses in the lower part, as in the upper part of the old town. The architecture of these buildings are built around beautiful patios providing access to the upper floors, often in galleries. Through patios can browse the history of Palma, as the earliest patios appear in the thirteenth century. But it was in the fifteenth century that large families adopt the Italian taste. The splendor of the palaces flourished in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.
These elegant homes have stone facades, windows brightened Renaissance decoration. The order of the patio, originality Majorcan houses, has been set in the eighteenth century: Solid marble columns support large segmental arches, while a staircase leads to a high balcony. The stone railings or wrought iron dress set. In the nineteenth century, sumptuous summer villas are also emerging in the mountains north of Palma.
These patios give Palma a personality and charm.
In carrer de Sant Roc, you can find documents describing the homes of Palma.
The birth of the city of Palma back to the conquest of Mallorca by the Romans, who founded the colonies Palmaria (Palma) and Pollentia (Alcúdia).
In the eighth century, Majorca was conquered by the Saracens who made Palma the capital of the island.
From 1229, date of the conquest of the island by Jaume I of Aragon and the creation of the Kingdom of Majorca, until the sixteenth century, Palma, as the Ciutat de Mallorques, entered a period of growth.