|In addition to the outer wall, another rampart transversely divided the city into two unequal parts with south the most extensive, the city proper-known, inhabited by Greeks, civil Franks, Hebrews and later the Turks , and northern part, the Kastello or Collachium buildings consisting exclusively of Knights . The inner rampart, now defunct, was parallel to the Socrates Street , approximately 50 meters south of the Street of the Knights .|
|Strolling through the old town with imposing buildings of the fifteenth century, with cobbled streets adorned with arches and archways, it seems to be postponed several centuries back, at the time of the Knights of the Order of St Jean .|
You can start the tour of the old city by the Gate of Freedom . This door gives access to Collachium , the district inhabited by the Knights, and the place of Symi .
|The majestic medieval city of Rhodes , and its imposing fortifications , is the largest inhabited medieval town in all of Europe (over 6,000 inhabitants). In 1988, it was classified by UNESCO as World Cultural Heritage Monument.|
|The St. George’s Church|
|Before Socrates down the street, make a small turn to the right in the street Apollonion at No. 18, to admire the little church of St. George (Agios Georgios) built in the fifteenth century. The church of St. George was dedicated to the Franciscans in 1457.|
|Located in a beautiful garden, this is a circular building plan consists of three vaulted naves of the same height, with four apses and three pediments facade the building is covered with a dome and reinforced large buttresses; it was catholicon of a Byzantine monastery.|
You can still see remains of frescoes of the fourteenth century and the fifteenth century, the church has some Gothic elements.
|From the fourteenth century, the building served as a seminar (Hurmali Médressési Djami) during the Turkish occupation and was formerly affiliated with the Muslim theological school (madrasa).|
|Neighborhood street Ipodamou, you can visit a basilica with three naves "Kadi Medjid" wider than long, with three doors and decorated with frescoes in the late fourteenth century, the early fifteenth century.|
In a street overlooking the street is the church Ipodamou "Abdul-Jami Djelil" incorporating Gothic elements.
|The Church of St. Paraskeva (Αγία Παρασκευή)|
|Left Ipodamou Street, Agia Paraskevi church, the fifteenth century was converted into a mosque under the Ottoman occupation(Taketji mosque, attached to the School of dervishes).|
|Continuing through the streets Pindar, we see the ruins of the church of Sainte-Marie-du-Bourg(Παναγιά Μπούργκου), bombed during the Second World War we can not see today the three apses of the sanctuary of this Late Gothic building built in the fourteenth century.|
|Continuing straight, you come to the Byzantine church St. Pantelemon(Agios Panteleimon) the fifteenth century.|
In the same court are few remains of the Gothic church Sainte-Marie-de-la-Victoire(Panagia tis Nikis) built after the Turkish siege of 1480.
Both churches date from the same era.
|The St. Catherine Hospice|
|Pindar also located street at the beginning of the street, the ruins of St. Catherine Hospice, founded in the late fourteenth century (1391-1392), under the magisterium of Heredia by Admiral Domenico d’Alemagna, a Knight Italian, and rebuilt in 1516.|
The building was used more as a hostel for important visitors to the Order who lived during their stay, such as hospice. One of these hosts, Niccole Martoni, described in the 1390s as
"Beautiful and splendid, with many rooms containing many beautiful and comfortable beds."
After being badly damaged during the siege of 1480 and the earthquake of 1481, it was rebuilt in 1516 by another Italian Knight, Costanzo Operti under the magisterium of Fabrizio del Carretto .
In 1944, the eastern part was destroyed by Anglo-American bombing.
|Visit Monday to Friday from 8 am to 14 pm. Admission is free.|
|Place the Archdiocese|
|Aristotle Street leads to the place where the Archbishop, on the left is a beautiful mansion of the fifteenth century that historians are not safe to use: admiralty or archbishop ? It is assumed that the Latin archbishop or metropolitan Greek lived there.|
At the center of the square, three bronze seahorses form beams on a small fountain with heraldic decorations.
|Street Aristotle (Aristotelous) is the stronghold of Boilermakers whose shops succeed under the arches of Gothic houses.|
|In the Village, we arrive at the place Hippocrates (plateia Ippokratous), decorated with a Turkish fountain.|
|The Merchant Lodge|
| Instead Hippocrates is embellished with a beautiful sixteenth-century building, decorated with a beautiful wells, Châtellenie or Castellania (Καστελλανία), the Lodge of the Merchants (Lódzia Emboron), serving as a meeting place, office inspection and Commercial Court.|
It is a building with outside stairs, whose construction was completed by the Grand Master Emery d’Amboise in the early sixteenth century (1500): The ground floor served as a meeting place for merchants. The floor was assigned to the commercial court for trade disputes.
On the ground floor, to the right a broad staircase, opens a gallery in a box ribbed vaults. On the front are engraved the arms of Pierre d’Aubusson who undertook the construction and those of the Order, together in a single badge dated 1507 and supported by two wild and a cross window decorated with marble lilies. Above the door, on the lintel marble, an angel holds the badge of the Order left, and that of Emery d’Amboise right.
Castellania the building is probably known in the Middle Ages as the "Basilica Mercatorum."
|The Church of St. Catherine|
|The Church of St. Catherine (Agia Aikaterini) is a church with three branches decorated with frescoes by the late fourteenth century (center wing) and the end of the fifteenth century (side aisles). You can see an iconography of St. Catherine (southern part of the church).|
Under Turkish occupation, the building was used as a mosque and, according to tradition, Suleiman prayed there when he conquered the city.
In 1981, excavations inside the church unearthed graves in the northern part of the church and in 1992, new excavations have led to similar results in the southern part.
|The Church of the Holy Trinity|
|The Church of the Holy Trinity (Agia Triada), Leonidou Rodiou up near the door Koskinou , is cruciform, with a northern branch shorter. Covered with a cupola is decorated with frescoes dating probably from the late fifteenth or early sixteenth century preserved mainly in the western arm. The church has undergone subsequent modifications and incorporates elements of Gothic architecture.|
This church was also used as a mosque (Jami Dolapli) under the Turkish occupation, it retains only the base of a minaret destroyed by an earthquake.
|The Church of St. Athanasius|
|The Church of St. Athanasius (Agios Athanasios), dated the fifteenth century, is located near the door of the same name . Decorated with icons, it was used as a mosque under the Turkish occupation .|
|The Church of St. Mark|
|At the corner of Chimarra and P. Mela are the remains of an early Christian basilica wide 60 meters long and paved with a mosaic of the fifth century AD|
Other remains of a basilica of the same period, Agios Frangiskos are located near the modern stadium Diagoras, this basilica was destroyed by the earthquake of 515.