|Aegean Sea (Αιγαίο Πέλαγος) is a gulf or inland sea, north of the Mediterranean Sea located between the southern Balkan and Anatolian peninsula , that is to say between mainland Greece and Turkey in Asia . The Aegean Sea covers an area of approximately 214,000 km ² and is about 610 km from north to south and 300km from west to east.|
In the north, the Aegean Sea is connected to the Marmara Sea and Black Sea by the Dardanelles and the Bosphorus. In the south, the Aegean Sea is separated from the rest of the Mediterranean by an arc of islands: Kythera, Antikythera, Crete, Kassos, Karpathos and Rhodes.
The islands of the Aegean can be divided into seven groups:
- Islands of the North Aegean: Greek islands of Thasos (Θάσος), Samothrace (Σαμοθράκη) Lemnos (Λήμνος), Lesbos (Λέσβος), Chios (Χίος) and Samos (Σάμος), and the islands of Imbros (Ίμβρος) and Tenedos (Τένεδος) in Turkey;
- Evia (Εύβοια);
- Sporades (Σποράδες) north to the west near the mainland;
- Cyclades (Κυκλάδες) Mykonos (Μύκονος), Milo (Μήλος), Naxos (Νάξος), Paros (Πάρος) Antiparos (Αντίπαρος), Delos (Δήλος), Santorini (Σαντορίνη) et cetera. ;
- Saronic Gulf Islands: Salamis (Σαλαμίνα) Aegina (Αίγινα), Hydra (Ύδρα), Spetses (Σπέτσες) et cetera. ;
- archipelago Dodecanese(Δωδεκάνησα) - also known as Southern Sporades: Patmos (Πάτμος) Kalymnos (Κάλυμνος)Kos(Κως) Tilos (Τήλος),Symi(Σύμη),Rhodes(Ρόδος) Kassos (Κάσος) Karpathos (Κάρπαθος), to the exclusion of Kastelorizo (Καστελόριζο) located geographically in the eastern Mediterranean;
- Crete (Κρήτη).