AlbaniaGermanyEnglandArmeniaBasque CountryBielorussiaBulgariaCataloniaCroatiaDenmarkSpainEstoniaFinlandFranceGaliciaWalesGeorgiaGreeceHungaryIrelandIcelandItalyRoman EmpireLatviaLithuaniaMacedoniaMaltaNorwayNetherlandsPolandPortugalRomaniaRussiaSerbiaSlovakiaSloveniaSwedenCzechiaUkraine
If you reached this frame directly, click on this link to reveal the menus.
Personalized search

The fortifications of Rhodes

[Previous topics] [Parent topics] [Home page] [Greece] [Via Gallica]
Items[Photos] [Presentation] [Situation] [Visits] [Culture] [Practical Information] [Other topics]Page edited

Pictures

The fortifications of Rhodes views from the harbor. Click to enlarge the image.A Gate of the fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.Gate of Amboise fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.

ViewPresentation

General
The fortifications of Rhodes from the sky. Click to enlarge the image.Knights after installation to Rhodes in 1306, completed the existing Byzantine fortifications, almost unchanged for centuries: a wall of 8 to 10 m high with a thickness of about 2 m, which was enough to repel an army headquarters. High towers placed along the walls allowed a good look around.

Location

Map of the fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.

VisitsVisits

The fortifications of Rhodes
Flag of the Order of MaltaFlag of the Order of Malta
The canon of St. Gilles Rhodes, fade to 1507. Click to enlarge the image.The fortification of the city of Rhodes was based on traditional methods of construction of the Knights of Saint John of Acre , taking account of the creation and use of weapons at the forefront of the military art. During these two hundred years of presence of the Knights , technological developments warrior, the use of gunpowder and the advent of firearms shape fortifications. The fortification has the full panoply of the time in military architecture: embrasures for artillery, gunboats built, bastions spur, et cetera. A double gap between the Tower of Spain and the Koskinou Gate , further strengthens the fortifications.

Defense system became very complex, comprising eleven doors heavily fortified complex with baffles and drawbridge, many massive bastions, curtains and serrated, sometimes double or triple, protected by moats. The assembly is provided countless deadly openings and vents cannon firing angles whose cross cleverly calculated allowed to prohibit any potential attackers approach the walls by the moat.

The entire walled forms a rectangle of 800 m in 1000 for a 4 km radius.

The fortifications of Rhodes had little doors due to the situation of the city at the northern tip of the island, and because the rest of the island was sparsely populated. Three doors satisfy basic needs: the Gate St. Catherine , which gave access to the commercial port of the city of St. John's Gate , which was the end point of the road from Rhodes to Lindos and villages of the east coast , the Gate of Amboise which gave access to the west coast . Three minor Gate s they were added: the Gate St. Athanasius on the south side of the walls has been closed for centuries, the Gate of the Mills , which gave direct access to mills in the harbor, the Gate St. Paul that gave access to Mandraki harbor .

{1/} The architecture of the city Gates is inspired by Provençal Gothic, reminiscent of Villeneuve-lès-Avignon.

The fortifications of Rhodes can be classified into three groups:

  • those built until the first half of the fifteenth century when the attackers made ​​use of siege engines that were very different from those used by the Romans, catapults, battering rams, siege towers. Thus, the towers built after the siege of 1440 were often independent towers connected by a bridge to the walls, allowing to isolate the tower if it was taken, and not to lose the section walls. A wide ditch dug outside the walls prevented from approaching siege towers of the walls. The defenders could rain down a hail of arrows, Greek fire or boiling oil on the attackers gathered at the base of the walls.
  • those built between 1453 (Fall of Constantinople) and 1480 (first siege of Rhodes by the Ottomans), these fortifications took into account the importance of the use of guns by the Ottomans to open breaches in the walls of Constantinople. The introduction of guns changed the nature of fortifications and sieges. Walls of 2 m thick could not withstand a cannonade applied to the same location. In contrast, the free tall towers could not absorb the recoil of guns that could replicate the guns of the besiegers. The towers were shortened at the walls and were firmly supported on the walls so that the recoil of cannons mounted on the towers was absorbed by the mass of the walls.
  • Stone balls near the fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.those built between the two seats of Rhodes (the second took place in 1522); fortifications they were at the forefront of technology that can withstand the most powerful Ottoman guns. After the siege of 1480, the wall thickness was increased from 2 m to about 3.80 m by adding additional layers of masonry on the inside. However, the Ottomans had developed from the 1500s, powerful cannons are very effective in conquering cities in Southeast Europe, some of these guns had barrels 5 m long that could take stone balls more than 250 kg: same walls 3.80 m thick could withstand such impacts. A second wall was built to 5 m behind the existing wall, and the interval between the two walls was filled with rubble still available in abundance after the great earthquake of 1481. The walls then reached a thickness of 12 m.
    Another important improvement was the introduction of fortification bastion. A bastion usually has two projecting faces and two side faces; the sides allow gunnery parallel walls to destroy a wall attackers attacker. The bastions were often built so that bastion could protect adjacent bastions.

Fortifications stood before the important seats of the Sultan of Egypt (1444) and Mehmet II (1480) . After the siege of 1480, the Order reached such a reputation that he received many donations that were used to substantially improve the fortifications of the city. The influence of the fortifications of Rhodes town "Frankish" long considered impregnable is exercised throughout the eastern basin of the Mediterranean in the late Middle Ages.

Turks preserved and, in turn, changed the fortifications by adding large round towers called "Koule", but all still keeps its medieval character.

All restored in the twentieth century as one of the largest medieval fortresses in Europe.

Battlements The walls

Walls existed before the arrival of the Knights , but the walls first, tops, thin (2 m thick with a parapet 45 cm) drilled doors protected by rectangular towers were no longer sufficient to withstand warriors of the Ottoman Empire.

On the foundations of the Byzantine walls, the Knights almost entirely rebuilt and the walls never ceased to revise and strengthen the fourteenth century to the sixteenth century until 1522, under the successive masters Giovanni Battista degl'Orsini (1467 -1476), Pierre d'Aubusson (1476-1505), Emery of Amboise (1505-1512), Fabrizio del Carretto (1513-1521) and Philippe Villiers de l'Isle-Adam (1521-1522).

Arms of Pierre d'Aubusson, with cardinal's hat, facing the port, on the fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.Found on the walls of many patches reflecting the contribution of the pope and of the great masters in the repair and strengthening of the ramparts and moat. Pierre d'Aubusson, who became Master of the Order in 1476 distinguished himself in the consolidation and strengthening of the enclosure, over fifty patches embedded in the exterior cladding of the wall are evidence of its activities.

After a first seat of the Ottoman Turks in 1480, and in 1481 a small earthquake, the damage forced the Knights to consolidate once again their defensive walls. The thickness of the walls then reached 5.30 m, interior corridors were created for a freer flow of siege, the number of gates was reduced, and each was reinforced by two towers.

Some walls and bastions in their upper portions, include kinds of glazes or canted so that the ball does not hit full force but be amortized and deviated from their path ... We attributed the achievement, once again, Pierre d'Aubusson ...

The walls of the fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.The walls form an enclosure 4 km long and a thickness of 5.30 m (up to 12 m). In the early sixteenth century, in the area of Gate of Amboise, built in the northwest corner in 1512, the curtain reached 12 meters thick, and served as an artillery platform with a crenellated parapet again off 4 meters drilled guns, making fire on the attackers.

The walls of Rhodes photographed by Lucien Roy around 1911. Click to enlarge the image.In the second Turkish siege, the defense of various sections of walls or "boulevards" of several hundred meters, were placed under the responsibility of different "languages" of the Knights (language designating the seven priories national component the Knights ). Thus we find successively the "boulevards" of France (Galia), Germany (Germania), Auvergne (Ovérni), Spain (Ispania), England (Anglia), Provence (Provingía) and Italy (Italia).

The Turks succeeded in entering the city after a long siege by attacking the boulevard of the language of Aragon, between the towers of Spain and St. Mary, where remained low despite multiple consolidations in recent decades .

Ramparts of the fortifications of Rhodes between Canons Gate  and door Amboise. Click to enlarge the image.

Corner tower of the fortifications of Rhodes, photography by Lucien Roy around 1911. Click to enlarge the image.Wall fortifications of Rhodes, photography Lucien Roy around 1911. Click to enlarge the image.Ramparts of the fortifications of Rhodes, photography Lucien Roy around 1911. Click to enlarge the image.
Ramparts of the fortifications of Rhodes, photography Lucien Roy around 1911. Click to enlarge the image.Ramparts of the fortifications of Rhodes, photography Lucien Roy around 1911. Click to enlarge the image.Rampart fortifications of Rhodes, photography by Lucien Roy around 1911. Click to enlarge the image.
Ramparts of the fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.Ramparts of the fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.The fortifications of Rhodes harbor views. Click to enlarge the image.
The fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.
Garden Ditches

The walls of fortification is bordered on the north by the sea, also a huge gap partly dug in the rock, with a width of 30 to 45 meters, with a depth varying between 15 and 20 meters, where we see hundreds maybe even thousands of stone balls fired by the Ottomans during the siege of 1522.

After a first seat of the Turks in 1480, Emery d'Amboise , fearing further attacks, continued the work. The outer ditch was extended up to 20 m, and dug to a depth of up to 23 m in places. He opened a second ditch along the weaker parties.

Ditch fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.Ditches of the fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.Ditches of the fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.
Portrait of Plilippe Villiers de l'Isle-Adam. Click to enlarge the image.The entrepreneur who organized this work was Villiers de l'Isle Adam who was to become the last Grand Master of the Order in Rhodes in 1521.

It should be noted that the ditches or dry moats, never received water because they were higher than the sea level

Ditches have now become beautiful gardens planted with hibiscus, oleander and bougainvillea, where you can stroll.

These ditches 2500 m long are accessible at any time from the Gate of Acandia or from the tower of St. Peter .

Ditch fortifications of Rhodes, photography Lucien Roy around 1911. Click to enlarge the image.Ditch fortifications of Rhodes, photography Lucien Roy around 1911. Click to enlarge the image.Ditch fortifications of Rhodes, photography Lucien Roy around 1911. Click to enlarge the image.
Ditch the Amboise Gate  fortifications of Rhodes, photography Lucien Roy around 1911. Click to enlarge the image.Ditch fortifications of Rhodes, photography Lucien Roy around 1911. Click to enlarge the image.Ditch fortifications of Rhodes, photography Lucien Roy around 1911. Click to enlarge the image.
Battlements The fortifications of the sea

The Gate of St. Catherine
The Gate St. Catherine gave access to the walled city from the commercial port .

Go to the Gate St. Catherine .

The Gate of the Arsenal
Since the establishment of Symi, Gate of the Arsenal (Pili Tarsana) or pili Navarhíou, leads to the Port of Commerce . Today it is a modern opening in the wall that allows cars to reach the modern city.
Gate of the Arsenal fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.Gate of the Arsenal fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.Gate of the Arsenal fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.
WatchtowerTower Naillac
The Tower Naillac is located north of the Port of trade it protected.
BattlementsBoulevard of the Language of Castile

Boulevard of the Language of Castile connected the Gate of the Mills the Gate St. Paul , along the Port of trade .
St. Paul Gate
{1/} St. Paul Gate, north of the citadel is surrounded by a low wall and is flanked by a high tower of the same name.

Gate St. Paul fortifications of Rhodes - Bas-relief depicting the saint. Click to enlarge the image. St. Paul, former Trébuc Tower, changed name around 1477 when it was rebuilt by the Grand Master Pierre d'Aubusson who placed a bas-relief representing St. Paul.

Gate St. Paul was severely damaged by English bombing during the Second World War.

This door gave access to Mandraki Harbour and Tower Naillac destroyed in the nineteenth century. The Knights had their arsenal between the Gate St. Paul and St. Catherine Holder : arsenal and had direct access to the port.
Gate St. Paul fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.Gate St. Paul fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.Gate St. Paul fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.
Gate St. Paul fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.Gate St. Paul fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.Gate St. Paul fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.
WatchtowerTower St. Nicholas
Tower St. Nicholas was transformed into a small fort, Fort St. Nicholas , by the Grand Master Pierre d'Aubusson who built a stronghold around it after the first siege of Rhodes.

Go to Fort St. Nicholas .

Gate of Freedom
Gate of the Knights, become Gate of Freedom (Pili Elefterias) was drilled in 1924 in the medieval walls by Italians, the Greeks regarded as liberators of the island. Gate of Liberty is located at the end of the pier at Port of Mandraki .
Gate of Freedom fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.Gate of Freedom fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.
LapTower St. Peter
Tower St. Peter is located on the western side of the Gate of Freedom , was one of the defenses that protected the north-eastern side of the city.

The Knights, after conquering Rhodes in 1308, restored the walls with a few minor changes: during the magisterium of the Grand Masters Heredia (1377-1396) and Naillac (1396-1421) the walls were almost entirely rebuilt and new amended and reinforced in the second half of the fifteenth century.

The tower dedicated to St. Peter belongs to this time: it was built by Grand Master Zacosta from 1461 to 1464 during the pontificate of Pope Pius II, whose crest can be seen on the tower. In addition to the construction of new fortifications, Grand Masters placed on the walls of bas-reliefs of the angels in the city.

Tower  St. Peter fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.Reliefs near the St. Peter fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.Reliefs near the St. Peter fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.
LapTower of Pagnac
BattlementsBoulevard of the Language of France

Boulevard of the Language of France extended from the Gate St. Paul to the Gate of Amboise .
Gate St. Anthony
Gate St. Anthony (Agiou Andoniou pili) was the former western Gate of Rhodes : Orpheus from the street, shopping street near the Palace of the Grand Masters , it allowed out side the country.

Gate St. Anthony, surmounted by two turrets, became, after the consolidation of the fortifications, the fourth and final door door Amboise .

Gate of Amboise
The Amboise Gate is the most impressive gate of Rhodes a military point of view.

Go to the Gate of Amboise .

The Canons Gate
{1/} At the southwest corner of the palace , the Gate of Canons provided access to the walkway via a drawbridge.

Today, the walls began to visit the Canons Gate and ending at the Gate St. John .

Access door to the ramparts of Canons of the fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.Canons Gate  ramparts of the fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.Canons Gate  ramparts of the fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.
Gate  of Canons of the fortifications of Rhodes photographed by Lucien Roy around 1911. Click to enlarge the image.Gate  of Canons of the fortifications of Rhodes photographed by Lucien Roy around 1911. Click to enlarge the image.
BattlementsBoulevard of the Language of Germany

The battle station Knights German Language Boulevard Germany (Germania), extended from the Gate of Amboise until Bastion St. George .
View from Amboise Gate  Gate  Canons of the fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.Gap between Amboise Gate  and St. George bastion fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.Amboise Gate  to ditch fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.
Bastion The Bastion St. George
La Gate of Amboise was reinforced by the bastion St. George, spur, in which we had arranged to store ammunition. The bastion had cannons, ground level to hit the attackers at close range.

The Bastion St. George was one of the most impressive additions made ​​after the siege of 1480: it was built with the help of Basilio della Scola, an architect from Vicenza near Venice.

A bas-relief representing St. George slaying the dragon and below the arms of the Grand Master Antoine Fluvian framing those of Pope Martin V and those of the College.

The Bastion St. George fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.Bastion St. George fortifications of Rhodes from the south. Click to enlarge the image.Inside the bastion St. George fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.
Walls toward the bastion St. George fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.Bastion St. George fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.
BattlementsBoulevard of the Language of Auvergne

Knights of the Language of Auvergne (Ovérni) defended the ramparts from the bastion St. George until Tower of Spain , Boulevard of Auvergne language.
The Tower of Spain
{1/} Of circular plan and west of the citadel, the Tower of Spain is surrounded by an embankment provided gunboats bass where you could easily reach the assailants in the ditch.
Tower of Spain fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.Tower of Spain fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.Tower of Spain fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.
BattlementsThe terreplein of Spain
Median Spanish fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.Median Spanish fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.
BattlementsBoulevard of the Language of Aragon

Boulevard of Spain (Ispania) or Aragon Boulevard, leads the Tower of Spain in the Tower St. Mary . Before the siege of 1480, the boulevard of Aragon was the bulwark of England boulevards of England and Aragon were reversed after 1480 to reflect the respective weights of these nations.
LapTower St. Mary
Near the Gate St. Athanase and dated 1441, Tower St. Mary is reinforced by a bastion fitted with embrasures for artillery.
Gate St. Mary fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.Gate St. Mary fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.Tower  St. Mary Rhodes fortifications, weapons. Click to enlarge the image.
Gate St. Athanase
Gate St. Athanase (Aghiou Athanasiou) is located southwest of the enclosure.

Gate St. Athanase fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.

Gate St. Athanase was closed by the Grand Master Pierre d'Aubusson in 1501, and that explains why it does not show the same level of fortification that the Gate of Amboise : The Tower St. Mary , the round tower that controlled access to the Gate St. Athanasius was built in 1441 by Grand Master Jean de Lastic . On Christmas Day 1522, after the surrender of the city on December 20, Sultan Suleiman made his entrance through the door which was opened for the occasion. Sultan closed the door and remained closed until 1922 when it was reopened for the 400th anniversary of this event and has remained open ever since.
Arms of Pierre d'Aubusson on the Gate St. Athanase, a griffin and a lion looking as carriers.

Below, part of the legend, dated 1486, is readable:

"DIVUS F [ra] PETRUS DAUBUSSON RHODIORUM MAGNUS MAGISTER"

Gate St. Athanase fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.Gate St. Athanase fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.
BattlementsThe terreplein of England
{1/} The median of England near the Gate St. Athanasius was built after the first Ottoman siege.

The Knights could be accessed by an underpass which could be easily destroyed if the enemy invested the wall. The development of these new fortifications led to a change in the techniques of siege. The canons of the time not drawing explosive charges, but only heavy stone balls, causing little damage on these new bastions. The only way to seriously damage was placed at the base of explosives, and so the Ottomans dug tunnels for this purpose. Siege warfare became a matter of sappers.

BattlementsBoulevard of the Language of England

Boulevard language of England (Anglia) led the Tower St. Mary at the Gate St. John .
Walkway between Tower of Spain and Gate St. John fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.The walkway on the Boulevard de la Langue of England near the Gate St. John fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.The false braye behind the embankment of England fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.
Gate St. John Gate Koskinou
Gate St. John (Pili Agíou Ioánou), also called Gate Koskinou(Pili Koskinou) or the Red Gate is located south of the citadel.
Bridge between medians England and rampart near Gate St. John fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.Gate St. John outer fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.Gate St. John inner fortifications of Rhodes - Click to enlarge in Fotolia (new tab)
{1/} La Gate St. John is adorned with a bas-relief depicting the saint.

Gate St. John fortifications of Rhodes - Coat of arms of Pierre d'Aubusson. Click to enlarge the image. The outer door St. John was built by Grand Master Pierre d'Aubusson to protect fortifications built by the previous Grand Masters Fluvian , Milly and Zacosta .

Inside you can see a pavement dating from the first phase of construction of the walls.

You can see the arms of Pierre d'Aubusson , arranged at the time he was not yet a cardinal.

In 1912, troops Italian made ​​their entrance through that door in Rhodes: the empty rectangular frame to the left of the door hosted a celebration event registration.
Gate St. John fortifications of Rhodes, outside door. Click to enlarge the image.False braye behind median of England near Gate St. John fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.
BattlementsBoulevard of the Language de Provence

Boulevard of the Language de Provence (Provingia) defense sector Knights of the language of Provence, connects the Gate St. John at the Giro d'Italia .
Tower of Italy
Tower (or fort) of Italy was protected by a huge circular median diameter of 15 m, which was a formidable defense. Gunboats were fitted to the base to allow defenders to beat ditches. Cannonballs, still on file here and there in the wall at the Tower of Italia and its curtain, testify to the violence of the second Turkish attack (1522), when the men of Suleiman the Magnificent captured the city after six months of a seat titanic. The median, we see Fabrizio del Caretto arms . Under the protection of the tower opened the door of which was walled Italy after the siege of 1480.
{1/}Gate Karetou
{1/} Gate Karetou (Carretto).
BastionBastion Carretto
Karetou Gate, del Carretto bastion fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.During the siege of 1480, the Ottomans managed to open a gap in the southeastern part of the walls, then they launched an assault with a knife three hundred Janissaries (elite Ottoman troops) managed to enter the city but the Knights under the command of the Grand Master Pierre d'Aubusson and protected by their armor, decimated the bulk of the Ottoman army and repelled the attackers. This was the last episode of the siege: Ottoman losses were so heavy that the siege was lifted.
Fabrizio del Carretto portrait. Click to enlarge the image.The Grand Master Fabrizio del Carretto gave its name to the great circular bastion which was built on the site of the breach.
Bastion del Carretto fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.Bastion del Carretto fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.Bastion del Carretto fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.
City Gate Gate of Acandia
Gate of Acandia fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image. The Gate of Acandia (Pili Akantias) ( Acandia is the third port of Rhodes where the big wet cruise ships), is located southeast of the ramparts.
BattlementsBoulevard of the Language of Italy

Boulevard of the Language of Italy left the Tower of Italy and ended a little further north to Gate of the Mills , a moment after crossing the Bay Akandia .
Gate of the Mills
{1/} According to some sources, the Gate of the Mills (Pili Milon) was actually the Gate St. Catherine , overlooking the parish of St. Catherine ruined church and the St. Catherine hospital , the door giving access to the Docks from the Hebrew district . She was not particularly fortified because the harbor was protected by other fortifications.
WatchtowerTower St. Ange
Tower St. Ange, or Tower of the Mills (Pirgos Milon) or Tower of France, is located at the southern end of the pier natural trading port , it was designed to protect.

It was reinforced by the Grand Master Pierre d'Aubusson who disposed at the top of the crest France.

Tower St. Ange is commonly known as the Tower of the Mills pier where it is located welcomed thirteen mills which there are only three.

Tower  St. Ange fortifications of Rhodes, photography Lucien Roy around 1911. Click to enlarge the image.Fort St. Nicholas fortifications of Rhodes photographed by Lucien Roy around 1911. Click to enlarge the image.Tower  St. Ange fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.
Gate St. Mary
Gate St. Mary (Pili Panagias).
Gate St. Mary fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.Gate St. Mary fortifications of Rhodes. Click to enlarge the image.

General Information

General
GR - 851 00 Ródos (Nissi Ródos)

Phone: 00 30 22410 23255

Visiting hoursVisiting hours
West and south walls: the walls can be visited about 2/3 of the 4 km dates and times. Their visit has the double benefit of providing unprecedented views to the outer belt of the city from a high point, as well as inward, with unexpected discoveries over from the streets.

We can start the Tower of the walls using the stairs to the left of the court at the Palace of the Grand Masters . It allows you to examine the books, reinforced bastions between the Gate of Amboise and the Gate St. John , offering lovely views of the ditches bloom and the Turkish city bristling with minarets.

Entry Fee: € 4.

Tour from Tuesday to Saturday 2:45 pm : € 6.

Other topicsOther topics

Filiation of the topics
More detailed topics
Interactive Map of the fortifications of Rhodes
Gate St. Catherine Rhodes
Tower Naillac Rhodes
The Amboise Gate of  Rhodes
Fort St. Nicholas in Rhodes
Close topics
Interactive Map of the medieval city of Rhodes
Satellite image of the medieval city of Rhodes
The Collachium, Rhodes
The fortifications of Rhodes
Broader topics
Home page
Interactive Map of the city of Rhodes, Rhodes
The ancient city of Rhodes
The Mandraki Harbour in Rhodes
The commercial harbor of Rhodes
The Acandia Harbor, Rhodes
The medieval town of Rhodes
The Hebrew quarter of Rhodes
The Turkish quarter of Rhodes
The modern city of Rhodes
Previous topics ] [ Parent topics ] [Next Page]
Recommend this page :
Recommend this site :
Custom Search
If you reached this frame directly, click on this link to reveal the menus.