The town of Baška Voda in Croatia
|Baška Voda is a coastal small town of Croatia, approximately 3000 inhabitants.|
This old fishing port became mainly a tourist destination, in particular since the construction in 1968 of the Croatian trunk road (Magistrala). It is the most important station, in terms of many tourists, of will riviera of Makarska.
Baška Voda is also a municipality which understands five villages: Bast, Baska Voda, Bratus, Krvavica and Promajna. The municipality is part of the county of Split-Dalmatia, i.e. Dalmatia power station.
Bâška Voda profits from important tourist attractions: in addition to its beaches and its port, which gives access to the islands very close to Brač and Hvar, it has a back country favourable with the excursions in the preserved nature of the natural park of Biokovo.
Its climate is more pleasant: the principal winds of the area are will bora it, the sirocco (wind of the south) and the mistral. Will bora, the wind of the North-East, blows in stormy gusts of the North-East and refreshes the ambient air, making the temperature more pleasant, and improves the visibility.
The promoters of local tourism like to quote an eminent doctor, Dr. Anđelo Antun Frari, which, in 1840, described Baška Voda like:
“… a place where all breathes the life and the force, where even dying them resurrect. ”
|The toponym of Baška Voda probably has a mythological origin which would come from Biston, the mythical founder of the quarrelsome thrace tribe of Bistones. Biston was the son of Ares, the Greek god of the war (Mars for the Romans), and of the goddess Kallirrhoè (καλλί-ρρόη, “with the beautiful current”), protective of water. Symbols of these divinities are visible near the source of Baška Voda.|
Voda means “Croatian water”.
In Italian, Baška Voda named besides Oporto Bestonio.
|Baška Voda is located in the western part of very tourist “the Riviera de Makarska” at 9.5 km at the North-West of the town of Makarska in Dalmatia power station.|
The city is on the littoral of the Adriatic, at the bottom of Mont Saint Elias (Sveti Ilija) (1640 m) in the majestic solid mass of Biokovo.
Baška Voda is to 50 km in the south-east of the town of Split, and to 170 km in the North-West of that of Dubrovnik.
latitude 43° 21 ’ NR; longitude 16° 57 ’ E.
|The Church Saint Lawrence (Crkva Sveti Lovro)|
|The church Saint Lawrence (Crkva Svetog Lovre) is a church of style late baroque built in 1750; it probably occupies the site of older religious buildings.|
The day of Saint Lawrence - on October 10th - is held in Baška Voda a festival of “klapa”, the songs of the seaside of the area of Makarska.
|The Church Saint Nicholas (Crkva Sveti Nikola)|
|The church Saint Nicholas (Crkva Svetog Nikole) was finished and devoted in 1889 to replace Saint Lawrence church become too small to accommodate the population increasingly more Baška Voda. It is a church of style néo-novel dedicated to saint Nicolas, the patron saint of the city. The church has a very beautiful bell-tower.|
The church is the theater of religious holidays like the procession of the Good Friday and the festival of the Saint Nicholas - on December 6th.
A hundred years after its construction, the Saint Nicholas church was entirely renovated and acquired invaluable stained glasses, works of Josip Botteri Dini (1987), and tables of the Way of Cross realized by Josip Biffel (1989).
The square of the church shelters a monument dedicated to the Happy Cardinal Alojzije Stepinac (1898-1960), Croatian martyrdom of the mode “Yugoslav” socialo-Communist; it is a work of Domagoj Kaan (2009).
|The Church Saint Roch (Crkva Sveti Roko)|
|The church Saint Roch dates from the 15th century.|
|Ruins of Gradina|
|The primary reason of the colonization of the area of Baška Voda was the presence of a source of drinking water (voda means water), located on the heights of Gradina, in the center of the current locality. The possession of this source caused many adverse conflicts various tribes: the colony had to be strengthened, with dry stone ramparts, in order to protect the source.|
The vestiges of this colony are still visible and there of the important archaeological discoveries could be made. They are in particular sites of burial of ballot boxes, lamps, jewels, coins bearing the effigy of Alexandre Sévère Aurélien (221-235 after J. - C.) and of tomb stones bearing the names of thirteen of the first inhabitants of Baška Voda; most beautiful a young boy called commemorates Ursinus, died in a shipwreck between 100 and 150 after J. - C.
|Formerly village of fishermen and sailors, Baška Voda became a tourist city and the port, a marina; many fishing boats was converted into boats excursion towards the islands close to Brač and Hvar.|
|The Statue of Saint Nicholas|
|At the entrance of port, the bronze statue of saint Nicolas accommodates the travellers coming from the sea. Saint Nicholas, patron saint of the sailors and the travellers, is also the guard of the town of Baška Voda.|
The statue is a work of Mladen Mikulin (1998).
|Excursions with Baška Voda|
|See the routes of excursions in the page Riviera de Makarska.|
|The Village of Bast|
|The small village of Bast is located at 2 km east of Baška Voda; Bast is nested at the bottom of Mont Saint Elias around a source of fresh water. The toponym of Bast would come from Biston (see at the heading etymology).|
This village is at the origin of the repopulation of Baška Voda: at the end of the 17th century, after the expulsion of the Othomans (1684), its inhabitants left the slopes of the mountain and went down on the coast.
Bast has a church of the 15th century, the church Gothic Saint Roch of style, and a church of style late baroque, the church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, going back to 1636.
|The Village of Promajna|
|The village of Promajna is to 4 km in the south-east of Baška Voda. The village is dominated by the bell-tower of the church of All the Saints which goes back to 1999.|
|In Antiquity one finds, with the site of Baška Voda, the locality of Aronia: the Table of Peutinger mentions the existence of a named city Aronia at this place. The Table of Peutinger (Tabula Peutingeriana) is a copy of the 13th century of an old Roman chart where the roads and the principal cities of the Roman Empire appear.|
In late Antiquity, end of 4th at the 7th century, the locality of Gradina is shaken by the openings of the cruel people of Avars.
At the 7th century, the Slavic ones seize the locality and this one ceases existing.
During the millenium following any trace of organized life does not remain along the coast. It is probable that only shepherds come there, bringing the herds drinking to the source.
To the end at the 17th century, when the threat of the pirates ends and after the Othomans are driven out (1684), the population turns over on the coast and gradually establishes a new colony, Baška Voda.
Baška Voda is mentioned for the first time in 1688, under the name of “Basca”, on the geographical map of Vincenzo Coronelli, like small village living of agriculture and fishing.
|Weather and forecasts|
|The Tourist office|
|Addresses: Obala sv. Nikole 31, HR-21320 Baška Voda|
Telephone: 00,385,620 713
|Excursions at sea|
|Excursions at sea, typically bound for the island of Hvar (Jelsa) and the island of Brač (Bol), are organized at the beginning of Baška Voda.|
|The “peka” of Biokovo|
|Various meats with potatoes cooked under the “peka”, an iron lid in the shape of bell, which one recovers of embers.|
One puts in a special frying pan the pieces of veal, of lamb and chicken, sausages of the country and potatoes peeled. One furnishes the whole with pieces of Dalmatian ham, onion cut out of slices and sheets of bay-tree; one recovers the whole with the “peka”, that one recovers embers and one makes cook the meat during one hour and half. The dish is served with a green salad.
Ingredients (for 6 people): ½ kg of meat of lamb, farm chicken ½, ½ kg of veal, 3 pairs of sausages of the country, 200 G of peeled potatoes, cabbage ½, 1 onion, salt and pepper, 1 dl of beef animal stock.