Čilipi was part of Republic of Raguse only starting from 1426, date on which this area was bought by the Republic.
During the war of independence, at the time of the aggression of the Serb socialo-Communists, between 1991 and 1992, almost the totality of the village was burned and its expelled inhabitants. The village was released from the attacker to the autumn 1992, but the war left serious damage caused with the cultural heritage. The village is not any more that shade of the large commercial city that it was at the end of the Middle Ages and during the Rebirth, but it always has a beautiful inheritance which UNESCO contributes to restore.
It is on the territory of Čilipi that the airport of Dubrovnik is.
All the dimanches - around 11:15, after the mass -, one attends a spectacle of folk dances in traditional costume of the area of Konavle on the square of the Saint Nicholas church.