|The town of Valle Gran Rey corresponds to the pre-Hispanic Township Orone, where King guanche most powerful had taken up residence, and yet we find there abundant vestiges of that past.|
After the conquest, occupation of the territory began with the high zone, where the Counts of La Gomera situèrent one of their main homes. In 1812, with the separation of the territory of Chipude, the capital of the new entity was installed in Arure which gave its name to the municipality.
The occupation of the lower area, the proper valley, did not wait until the second half of the eighteenth century, and developed with the introduction of bananas and tomatoes for export, to the late nineteenth. This gave an important economic and population growth in the coastal area, where the main implanted residential nuclei of the municipality, Vueltas and La Calera, leading to the creation of the capital of Valle Gran Rey in 1950.
|Currently, most of the population lives on the slopes of the ravine, between small gardens and date palms that form an enchanting landscape. Vueltas has a small port that has remained the basis of an important fishery.|
Valle Gran Rey is the most prosperous place on the island: rich agriculture, a lot of water, relatively developed fishing industry and very important tourism.
However agriculture as fisheries have lost importance in recent years to the development of a residential and business tourism, thanks to weather conditions, the black sand beaches (La Playa, Playa del Ingles and Araga) the attractiveness of the landscape and the emergence of an offer of economic housing with houses made vacant by the rural exodus.
The traditional economic base remained export agriculture and artisanal fishing on the coast, and self-sufficiency crops (potatoes, vegetable garden vegetables) on narrow terraces inside.