The town of Santanyí in Majorca
|Santanyí is an agricultural town - about 3700 people - the southeast of the island of Majorca, in the County of Migjorn and is the capital of the municipality of Santanyí with more than 13,000 inhabitants. The town has a few other agricultural areas as Calonge, S’Alqueria Blanca and Es Llombards, but it is mostly resorts - arranged in the coves of the south-east coast - which contribute to the economy of the town. The main resorts are Cala d’Or, Porto Petro, Cala Figuera and Cala Santanyi. Cala d’Or is now almost as populated as Santanyí. The municipality of Santanyí also includes a protected area : the coastal Natural Park Mondragó.|
|Etymology and toponymy|
|The origin of the name "Santanyí" is uncertain, the most likely etymology is Latin: Agnus Sanctus ("Holy Lamb"), the genitive, Sancti Agni. In 1236, Santanyí is mentioned in the archives under the name of Sancti Aini. This is why a lamb appears in the crest of the municipality.|
Under the Moorish occupation, Santanyí was named Adia, and was part of "juz" of Manqur (Manacor). Some areas of the town have a name of Moorish origin, including Albocora, S’Almunia and Benilassar.
Santanyí is written Santañy in Castilian Spanish.
The people of Santanyí are called "santanyiner, santanyinera".
|Santanyí is the southernmost town of the island of Majorca, the most southerly point is the Cap de Ses Salines, which is only 275 kilometers (150 nautical miles) from Algiers, on the coast of North Africa. This proximity was the cause, between the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, of numerous attacks by Barbary pirates.|
The territory of the municipality, 124 km² in area, is fairly flat, the highest point is the Puig Gros (271 meters) and the hill of Sa Penya Bosca ("The Woody Mount") (280 meters), the hills located in the northern part of the town and is the last relief of Serra de Llevant. In the southern part of the town, a spit of land jutting up Cap de Ses Salines.
The municipality of Santanyí is bordered to the southwest by the municipality of Ses Salines, north-west of the Campos and north by that of Felanitx.
|Santanyí is 52 kilometers from the capital, Palma, and connected in a direct line to it by the Ma-19 motorway, via Llucmajor and Campos. The Mallorca international airport, Son Sant Joan, is only 48 km away.|
The coastline of the municipality of Santanyí has a length of 35 km, with many coves, long enough and collected in the north-east coast: Cala Esmeralda, Cala d’Or, Porto Petro, Cala Mondragó, Cap des Moro, Cala Figuera, Cala Santanyi, Cala Llombards and Cala de s’Almunia, at the bottom of most of these creeks are beaches that are among the most beautiful beaches in the Balearic archipelago.
This part of the coast has been largely urbanized approximately 3.5 km inland, only the coastline around Cala Mondragó was preserved by a natural park.
|The Historic Centre of Santanyí|
|The village of Santanyí in the thirteenth century was born around the first Church of the Rosary, in 1300, King Jaume II of Majorca granted it the title of town (vila). In the sixteenth it was decided to fortify the city, due to incursions North African pirates. This fortification there is a beautiful medieval gate, the Porta Murada, and a section of wall, located west of the historic center, on Carrer de Palma.|
Its parish church houses a remarkable Baroque organ, the Chapel of the Rosary has an equally remarkable Gothic vault.
South of the historic center - down Carrer de la Pau - is the Trough (S’Abeurador), built in 1820, to water animals, was removed when a well that was on the Plaça Major. The trough is also known as "Sa Sinia" because a waterwheel mules was used to extract water. South-west, between Carrer de s’Aljub and Carrer del Bisbe Verger, is a monumental tank, built in 1756, used to supply the city with water.
But the main charm of Santanyí is its narrow streets, sandwiched between the tall and beautiful houses Santanyí stone, the marès.
|The St. Andrew’s Church (Església de Sant Andreu / Iglesia de San Andrés)|
|The parish church of Saint Andrew was built from 1786 construction - in Santanyí stone - lasted 25 years. The new church was built on the site of the cemetery of the previous parish church is now the Chapel of the Rosary, and is contiguous to the church of St. Andrew. The tower was built in 1850. The St. Andrew’s Church is located on the north side of the Plaça Major.|
The interior of the church contains works of art value, the altar and the altar of the chapel, conducted by Pere Umbert. But it was his monumental Baroque organ that attracts visitors. This organ was built by the organ builder Royal Jordi Bosch (1739 - 1810) native of Palma ; Jordi Bosch, attached to the court of King Carlos III, among others, the organ built cathedrals of Seville and Murcia.
The church organ Santanyí was originally that of the church of the Dominican convent of Palma, after the forfeiture of the regular clergy by the anticlerical government Mendizábal in 1835, the organ was purchased by a resident of Santanyí and he was transported by boat to the port of Cala Figuera and from there transported on carts to Santanyí. The instrument was so large it had to change the church building to install, you could also install two of the three original keyboard of the organ. Many famous organists have played on this instrument.
|The Rosary Chapel (Capella del Roser / Capilla del Rosario)|
|At the same architectural ensemble as the St. Andrew church is the Chapel of the Rosary, which is backed by the church. The Chapel of the Rosary was the second parish church of Santanyí, the first church built in the thirteenth century, shortly after the conquest, was mentioned in historical records in 1265. The first church was to find the Plaça del Canal, and was dedicated to Santa Maria de Santanyí.|
The Rosary Chapel, sometimes called the "Old Church" (Església Vella), was built during the first half of the fourteenth century, in an intermediate style between Romanesque and Gothic. In the late fourteenth century, around 1390, the town of Santanyí had to be fortified because of raids by Barbary pirates, the church itself was fortified to serve as a refuge for the population in these attacks. The roof structure of wood was replaced by the remarkable vault ribbed vault that can be seen today. During the sixteenth century apse and side chapels were added. At the end of the eighteenth century, St. Andrew’s Church was built, all against the Old Church.
The Chapel of the Rosary has a facade devoid of ornaments, its portal is double semicircular arch, the pediment of the facade is a tripartite gable surmounted by a stone cross. To the left of the main body of the facade, there is a second body, which corresponds to the left aisle of the church, called the nave of the Gospel. Above the portal is an opening with a pointed arch. The roof is topped by a small dome, the dome of the Rosary.
Inside, the nave is divided into four sections and a choir. The keystone of each section is decorated with a bas-relief of the second section the crest of the Ciutat (Palma) and the Kingdom of Majorca, one of the third section, the lamb of the shield the town of Santanyí, that of the fourth section, a bas-relief of St. Dominic. On the left of the second section, an opening gives access to the nave of the Gospel, which is currently used as a sacristy.
|The Presbytery (Rectoria)|
|The rectory is located on the Plaça Major, the right of the Church of St. Andrew. It is a building of the sixteenth century, built around a patio as a rural manor. From the patio a spiral staircase leads to the attic.|
|The Great Square (Plaça Major / Plaza Mayor)||The Town Hall (Ajuntamento / Ayuntamiento)|
|Plaça Major is the heart of the city, where people congregate, especially on market days, Wednesday and Saturday morning. Until the nineteenth century, a well occupied the center of the square. It is on the Grand Place that are the principal buildings of the city: the church and the town hall, the spiritual and the temporal power…||The Town of Santanyí is a nineteenth century building, built between 1879 and 1902, located on Plaça Major. It occupies the site of the old town hall (casa consistorial), dating from 1705, which he maintains that the crest of the city.|
|Walled Gate (Porta Murada)|
|Gate Walled is - with a bit of wall - the last remains of the fortifications that protected Santanyí. These walls were built in the sixteenth century to defend the population against pirate raids Moors. Santanyí acted as a fortress to defend the southeast of Mallorca.|
Porta Murada lies west of the historic center, on Carrer de Palma out of town towards Palma and can be accessed from the church by taking the Carrer del Roser.
Long halls located inside the door served as a prison. Walled Gate was restored in 1987.
|The Village of Es Llombards|
|The village of Es Llombards is 4 km southwest of Santanyí, on the way to Ses Salines. The town is traditionally devoted to rainfed agriculture, but with the development of tourism on the coast, agro-food industries are located there. Es Llombards has 17 km of coastline where some coves with beach: Cala en Tugores, Platja d’es Caragol, Es Marmols, Cala Figuereta, S’Almonia and Cala Llombards. A significant portion of the population - about 700 people - now working in tourism-related activities.|
To So n’Amer is a tower defense sixteenth century. Between Es Llombards and Ses Salines is the Botanicactus botanical garden.
|Portopetro - often written Porto Petro - is a port located between Cala d’Or and Mondragó Natural Park and is located at the bottom of a large bay enclosed by two headlands on the north-east, Es Frontet and south- west, Punta de sa Torre, on the Punta de sa Torre is a defense tower, built in 1616 to protect the commercial activities of the port against attacks by Barbary pirates.|
The port of Porto Petro is very old and is indicated in medieval portolans and mentioned in records from 1281 and 1298. It is the port village of S’Alqueria Blanca and served until the nineteenth century to the shipping Santanyí stone and agricultural production in the region (carob, corn). At the end of the nineteenth century there were only fishing remained, one can see a large number of boats typical fishermen, llaüts. The village has a population of about 800 inhabitants.
The development of tourism in Porto Petro began in 1959, in 1961, it created a Club Med resort near Punta de Sa Torre (now replaced by a luxury hotel of the chain Blau, Porto Petro Beach Resort and Spa) in 1971, a marina was created next to the Club Med. The town has two small beaches, one next to the port and the other near the hotel Blau. The tourist infrastructure of Porto Petro is much less developed than its neighbor Cala d’Or, but the village has retained its character fishing port.
|Village Cala Santanyí|
|Cala Santanyí is a small resort located 3.5 km south of Santanyí, between Cala Figuera and Cala Llombards. Tourism development began with the construction of the hotel Cala Santanyí, recently renovated (www.hotelcalasantanyi.com). The resort has a beautiful white sand beach, 100 m wide, unfortunately quite crowded in high season due to its popularity with families Santanyí. The station has a population of about 600 inhabitants.|
From Cala Santanyí can make beautiful walks to the rock of Es Pontàs or until the turn of Sa Torre Nova, an old defense tower.
|The Rock of Es Pontàs|
|Es Pontàs is a spectacular rock eroded by the waves, arched bridge rising from the sea Es Pontàs lies between Cala Santanyí and Cala Llombards, this is one of the most iconic natural monuments of the island Mallorca.|
|The village of Cala Llombards|
|Cala Llombards is a small resort located 4.5 km from the village of Es Llombards. The development of tourism in Cala Llombards began in 1969 with the subdivision of an agricultural field, the field (finca) of So n’Amer, this urbanization, poor quality, created a station unattractive, made of small summer residences and a hotel. The population of the station is about 400 people.|
The resort has a beautiful beach of fine white sand, gently sloping and a width of 100 m, located at the bottom of a creek hosted fairly oriented in the east-west direction, and, therefore, exposed to winds east: but the waters are clear of floating pollutants often accumulate. The beach is at the mouth of a stream called Torrent de Son Morlà.
|The cove of Cala S’Almunia|
|Located in the southwest of Cala Llombards Creek Cala s’Almunia is only accessible on foot and by boat: it is one of the smaller quieter beaches of the municipality of Santanyí.|
|The Cap de Ses Salines Beach of Es Caragol|
|The Cap de Ses Salines and the beach of Es Caragol (the "Snail"), located west of the cape, part of the municipality of Santanyí, although they are much closer to the town of Ses Salines. At the back of the beach of Es Caragol pond of Estany de ses Gambes, which extends over an area of 41 hectares, is home to many seabirds.|
|The Stone of Santanyí (Pedra de Santanyi)|
|City Santanyí is well known for its excellent stone stone Santanyí (Pedra de Santanyi) is a pure oolitic calcarenite locally named marès (calcarenite is a calcareous sandstone, limestone mixture and sand (arena)) formed during the Miocene.|
The marès of Santanyí is characterized by fine-grained and compact, its hardness and its insulating properties. Ideal to be carved and cut, with considerable resistance to compression, Santanyí stone was used for the construction of the most important historic buildings in Majorca: the Almudaina Palace, the Bellver Castle, the Lodge Merchants (llotja) and Palma Cathedral. It was also exported to Catalonia, France and Italy, where it was used to build the Palace of Castelnuovo in Naples. The development of the construction generated by tourism in the 1950s - stimulated the activity of stone quarries.
In a good quarry of Santanyí, we can distinguish seven layers that produce different types of stone. The first provides a type of pedreny called the randat, the second and the third, the pedreny fi (end), the fourth and fifth, the favat, sixth and seventh, the pedreny bo (good). All these stones are of good quality: people use them according to individual taste.
|The Tourist Office|
|Address: Carrer Perico Pomar, 10-07660 Cala d’Or|
Phone: 00 34 971 657 463
Site on the Web: www.ajsantanyi.net/infoturisme
|The Bus Lines Serving Santanyí||Weather forecast|
|Line L501: Cala d’Or to Palma|
Calonge, Cala Ferrera, Cala d’Or, Cala Egos, Porto Petro, S’Alqueria Blanca, Santanyí, Campos, Llucmajor, Polígon Son Noguera, S’Arenal Aqualand, S’Arenal, Palma
Information on line 501: www.tib.org
Line L502: from Palma to Santanyí
Santanyí, Es Llombards, Ses Salines, Colónia de Sant Jordi, Campos, Llucmajor, Polígon Son Noguera, S’Arenal Aqualand, S’Arenal, Palma
Information on line 502: www.tib.org
Line L503: Cala Figuera to Palma
Cala Figuera, Cala Santanyí, Santanyí, Es Llombards, Ses Salines, Colónia de Sant Jordi, Sant Joan Banys, Campos, Llucmajor, Polígon Son Noguera, S’Arenal Aqualand, S’Arenal, Palma
Information on line 503: www.tib.org
|Hotel Sa Galera|
|Hotel Rural Sa Galera is housed in a former manor house beautifully restored thirteenth century, in the middle of a farm cultivating the vine, carob and almond. This 4-star hotel has 20 rooms, each with a different design. The restaurant, with a pleasant terrace, offers Mediterranean cuisine.|
Rates: Double room from 128 € to 160 € per day depending on the season.
Address: Carretera Santanyi - Ca’s Concos, km 6.3 to 07208 Ca’s Concos
Geographical coordinates: 39º 24’ 14’’ N - 3° 7’ 40’’ E
Phone: 00 34 971 842 079
Site on the Web: www.hotelsagalera.com