|The Shrine of Our Lady of Cura (Santuari de Nostra Senyora de Cura / Santuario de Nuestra Señora de Cura) is a religious complex in the interior of the island of Majorca.|
The place is famous and celebrated for being the place where one of the most iconic characters of Majorca, writer, theologian and philosopher Ramon Llull, would have been in 1274, "enlightenment". Blessed Raymond Lully, one of the fathers of the Catalan language, then there was a hermit and retirement are designed some of his most famous books.
The Sanctuary of Cura is also a place of pilgrimage where the venerated image of the Virgin de Cura (Verge de Cura / Virgen de Cura) is the most important place of pilgrimage after the Majorca of Lluc.
|Etymology and toponymy|
|Cura is the name of the top of the Puig de Randa.|
The word "cura" means "healing" doctors of the past were, in fact, found that the atmosphere of the summit of the Mount was very friendly people sick of the respiratory system and the healing of rheumatism. In fact, this place is constantly swept by a breeze that dispels the miasma, even if mist are by no means rare.
According to some sources, there would have been during the Moorish occupation, the top of the Puig de Randa, a "Hisn", or castle, named Al'Uyun Qastil (the castle of sources). This castle was one of the Moorish castles that marked the territorial boundaries of the Muslim provinces, in this case, the border "juz of Muntuy.
|The Sanctuary of Cura is located on top of the Puig de Randa at 543 m altitude, almost in the center of the plain of Mallorca (Pla de Mallorca), between the towns of Algaida, 9 km, and Llucmajor in 10 km. The shrine is visible from all directions, even from afar, the site offers an excellent view of a large part of the island of Majorca, with the exception of the north-western part dominated by the mountain of Serra de Tramuntana. In good weather, you can see no less than 36 towns and villages from the terraces of the sanctuary.|
The sanctuary is located 36 km east of the city of Palma, the highway Ma-19A then the road Ma-6020 to Llucmajor and Ma-5010 to Randa.
Since Randa, the small road 4 km (Carrer de Cura and Ma-5018) that winds up tight to the sanctuary of Cura, first passes through the sanctuary of Gracià and the hermitage of Sant Honorat. The sanctuary has a large car park at the gate. It is also possible to leave your vehicle in the village of Randa and walk up along the road or taking many shortcuts, the climb takes more than an hour of walking.
Geographical coordinates: 39° 31' 37.3" N, 2° 55' 35.3" E
|The Sanctuary of Cura (Santuari de Cura / Santuario de Cura)|
|The Sanctuary of Cura is a religious complex surrounded by walls which occupies the relatively flat top of the Puig de Randa. This set includes a church of the seventeenth century, a monastery, a former "room grammar" turned into a small museum, an inn, a coffee shop and a gift shop.|
Most of the buildings are simple and modern: they are the work of the Franciscan monks who arrived here in 1913 after the site had been abandoned for decades.
|Portal of Entry|
|The access to the shrine dates back to 1682 portal, this date can be read off a small patch of the Council of the Realm, carved into the stone itself. The current state of the seventeenth century Majorcan portal is the result of a restoration of 1916.|
Above the gate is a crescent moon, representing the crest of the noble family Llull.
At the center of the pediment, on the crest of Llull, is the badge (damaged) the Franciscan Order of Penance: the cross and the two arms, with the initials OPC (meaning Ordo Penitentiae Claustralis, cloistered order of Penance), surmounted by a crown of thorns on a gold background, with, below, three nails on silver background, symbols of the Passion of Christ.
Above the lintel is the inscription: "amable fill, saluda Nostra Dona qui es salut e benedicció nostra" (Ramon Llull, Blanqu [Erna], chapter 61, paragraph 7) "beloved Son, welcomes Notre Dame which is our salvation and blessing. " The quote is from an utopian novel, "Llibre d'Evast e Blanquerna" written in Catalan by Llull in 1282.
On the lower part of the bow you see a patch with the initials JHS Jesus Savior of Men (Iesus hominum Salvator), emblem of the flag in his holy mission qu'arborait Bernard of Siena. Another inscription: "Omnia in nomine Dni. [Domini] Jesu Christi facite" (I Cor. 10) ("Let everything be done in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ").
| At the center of the courtyard of the shrine is a well whose water is drinkable: the sanctuary supplied only rainwater. The importance of this well is mentioned in a text from 1564, where he is told how, before the construction of the tank, college students Cura had to fetch water Sant Honorat, which had a negative impact on their studies. Almost all current Yard is over tanks.|
To the left of the courtyard is the hostelry of the sanctuary.
|Chapel of our Lady of Cura (Capella de la Mare de Déu de Cura)|
| The Chapel of Our Lady of Cura is located on the left side of the monastery. This chapel is the oldest building of the sanctuary: its oldest parts date from the seventeenth century, but it contains a number of entries, which is assuming it was built gradually: in the chapel of Christ, we find the dated August 4, 1662, the sun, dial 1668, in the middle of the vault in 1680, on the frontispiece of the choir: 1710.|
Outside, the building is characterized by the presence, on the south side, three buttresses surmounted by a cross, and a built-in wall of the tower facade.
|Upon entering the nave there is just on the right, a manger. This nursery is maintained throughout the year, according to a former Franciscan tradition spread throughout the island of Majorca, in memory of the first nativity scene and the Christmas Mass in 1223 by St. Francis of Assisi celebrated in Greccio, Italy.|
The narrow nave is covered by a barrel vault, abruptly truncated behind the choir without apse. The benches are inlaid and have the crests of the Franciscan Order of Penance, the shield of Ramon Llull and the monogram of the Ave Maria.
|To the right of the chapel is a door leading to the rectory dominated by the image of the Virgin de Cura, a small statue of 42 cm sandstone Santanyí conducted in Gothic style, dating from the early sixteenth century, probably the years 1509 to 1517. The Virgin is represented with the Child Jesus in one hand and a flower in the other.|
Before you pass the rectory a crucifix carved, dating from the seventeenth century, from the choir of the church of the former monastery of St. Dominic (Monestir de Sant Domènec) to Palma, destroyed in the nineteenth century. This cross was kept in the mansion Albenya until 1861 when Josep Morell i Esteva, owner of the estate, donated to the Sanctuary of Cura.
Ceramics gallery to the right of the chapel are reproductions of antique prints, installed in 1977, which represent the seven mysteries of the Rosary Franciscan (the Annunciation, the Visitation, the Nativity, the Adoration of the Magi, Jesus in the Temple The Resurrection and the Coronation of the Virgin).
In the chapel daily Mass is celebrated at 8:00, 10:00 and 18:00, Sundays and holidays 9:00, 12:00 and 19:00.
The feast of St. Francis on October 4.
|The Franciscan Monastery of Cura|
|The Franciscan monastery of the Third Order Regular was built in the mid-twentieth century, in terms of Josep Ferragut.|
Above the stone portal, you can see a small stone statue of Ramon Llull, under which is a small patch of the mendicant order, with a cross and two arms.
Although the current building dates from the 1950s, the arrival of the Franciscans at Cura was in August 1913, when it was installed the novitiate of the Third Order Regular. In 1906, the Bishop of Mallorca, the Capuchin Pere Joan Campins, visited the dilapidated shrine company of Antoni Gaudi and Joan Rubio, with the intention of restoring it. The bishop told the Third Order Regular of St. Francis rehabilitation sanctuary to revive the Lullian tradition of the mountain of Randa.
At present four brothers of the Order live, and with the help of some staff and volunteers, administer the sanctuary.
|The Monastery Garden|
|On the left of the Franciscan monastery is a closed garden arches. In the center of the garden stands a statue of St. Francis of Assisi, in his familiar welcoming attitude. Very symbolically, at the foot of the statue of the patron saint of animals, cats seem injured seek comfort.|
|The Grammar Room (Aula de Gramatica / Aula de Gramática)|
|This room, now a museum, is the only survival of the grammar school of the seventeenth century. Shortly after the death of Ramon Llull (1316), his followers used the Puig de Randa to propagate the thought of their master, but it was not until 1453 that the Franciscan friar Catalan Pere Joan Llobet (- 1460) Llull founded the school at the top of the mountain of Randa. Llobet was the brother of King Alfonso V obtained a royal privilege (6 January 1449) in order to bring the Mallorca Lullian science. He built his famous pulpit in the venerable building of Randa. He lived there until shortly before his death May 11, 1446. His fame was so great to him that ran people from Spain, Italy and France. The Art Lullian school disappeared after his death in 1460.|
At that time, education was based on the teachings of the seven liberal arts of antiquity which included the study of the "trivium" (grammar, rhetoric and logic) and "quadrivium" (arithmetic, geometry, music and astronomy). Was founded in 1483 in Palma the General Study Llull (Estudi General Lul·lia), the first University of Majorca, where were taught theology, the arts, philosophy, law and medicine.
The teaching of Llull University was in Latin, and it was necessary to found schools where Latin was taught grammar in 1502, was founded the Grammar School of Randa, who was the first of Mallorca. Once rebuilt the dependencies of the Lullian old school, was installed in 1510 in the old building, a grammar school, with an annual budget of 50 pounds, and it depended on the Rector and the conciliar School Lullian established to Estudi General de Palma. Teachers and students of the School of Randa endured many hardships, especially in winter due to harsh weather conditions. In addition, there was no tank and they had to fetch water Sant Honorat.
The importance taken by the School of Randa made the jurors of the Kingdom of Majorca, to facilitate and encourage the study of letters by the youth demanded the establishment of professorships and the establishment of a Room of General Studies where we teach grammar, rhetoric and Greek, it was given during the session on 4 May 1553. In 1554 work began to repair the chapel already in ruins, and then began the work of building classrooms and tanks. In 1566 the school had a hundred students, in 1588, between one hundred fifty and one hundred and sixty students.
|At the back of the room, behind the pulpit teaching, was a altar dedicated to Saint Catherine of Alexandria, virgin and martyr, patron saint of students, whose image was shown in a table. On the evening of November 25 was celebrated the feast of St. Catherine at night was lit a huge bonfire, which met another fire ignited by students Porreres on Puig de Monti-Sion, another "inspired hill".|
In 1623, Canon Bartomeu Llull, the founder of the sapiencia (Wisdom), obtained a grant of 40 pounds for the restoration of the chapel and the construction of the magnificent "Living Grammar", which is the only part preserved until today. The coat of arms of the city, the keystone, is the most visible sign of the classroom in 1623.
The nineteenth century saw the decline of the School of Randa, because teaching changes implemented throughout Spain, January 25, 1826, the last teacher of Randa resigned and the school closed.
|The former "Grammar Room" and three small rooms located on either side of the room grammar, have been transformed into a small museum - essentially Llull. Admission to the museum is free, but donations are appreciated.|
Room of grammar retain certain sacred religious objects and books related to the cult. There are also some books, printed or handwritten in relation Lullism, others of various themes, have a common denominator their relative antiquity and, for some, their rarity: a treatise on theology (Tratado de Teología) of Duns Scotus. The walls are hung with paintings, especially religious. Shelves contain different representations of Ramon Llull and a small collection of terracotta containers typical of Mallorca.
|In small rooms, one of the smaller rooms have maps and some interesting old photos taken by the Franciscans before the reconstruction of the sanctuary.|
Two other small rooms contain a bric-a-brac picturesque agricultural implements, household or other, from various sources. Collection bottles "Randa Liqueur" made for very long in the sanctuary we note and a copy of a map of Mallorca valuable.
|The Garden Sanctuary|
| An arched gallery was built in 1930 to protect pilgrims and visitors to the strong north wind that often strikes the summit.|
|The West Terrace||Terrace Northeast|
|From the kitchen to the west terrace there is a superb view of Palma de Mallorca and the Bay of Palma, with, in the background, Mount Galatzó, and northwest the Puig Major and the Serra de Tramuntana. During the months of October to December, we get to see in the distance the island of Ibiza. It is also very common to see the island of Cabrera, southeast.||The terrace northwest offers perhaps the best view of all the island of Majorca. Northwest, the chain of Serra de Tramuntana, on the north, you can see Inca, Bay of Alcúdia, the town of Pollença and to the Formentor headland on the north-east, the town of Manacor.|
|The Grotto of the Blessed Raymond Lull (Cova del Beat Ramon Llull / Cueva del Beato Raimondo Lulio)|
|The "cave Ramon Llull" would be the place where the sage would have a retreat in 1274 to engage in meditation and contemplation. The cave is not accessible for security reasons.|
In his autobiography, probably written in Paris in 1311, the "Vida coetània" (Contemporary Life), Ramon Llull says that about ten years after his conversion (1263), he retired to a mountain. After a week, he received an "illumination" - he always thought of divine origin - it revealed the contents of a book and the method is expected to argue against the errors of the infidels. This illumination took the form of a shrub (Mata Escrita) whose leaves bore inscriptions in Arabic script, a language he knew to be studied during the previous nine years. In reality, it was probably the traces left by a stray leaf fungus, these traces have the appearance of oriental characters.
It is believed that the mountain in question was the Puig de Randa, because, since the conquest of Mallorca by King Jaume I in 1229, the mountain of Randa became a favorite place for hermits. The three sanctuaries Randa must also originate in many ancient hermitages. Near the top of Puig de Cura, we can still distinguish more than ten cavities in the rock and including bunks narrow and elongated shape, their depth does not exceed 1 or 2 meters. However, the most logical and the most documented is that Ramon Llull lived in the village of Randa, where his family owned several houses and land, and went up to the mountains to meditate.
Llull came down from the mountain of Randa and entered, as a layman, the Cistercian monastery of La Real (Monestir the Real) in Palma, where the monks taught him Latin, and where he wrote his book "Compendium of art find the truth "first in Arabic, then in Catalan (Art abreujada de trobar Veritat) and, finally, in Latin ("Ars compendiosa inveniendem veritatem"), the first version of his "Ars Magna".
Later, in 1275, Ramon Llull went up to the mountain of Randa, are not doing build a hermitage, which was later named Our Lady of Randa (Nostra Senyora Randa), and lived as a hermit for four months. The hermit in Llull constitute an ideal of perfection which will be a constant in his work. The cave was partially destroyed in the eighteenth century. Terminal and the image of Ramon Llull was placed there in 1933, but the image was brutally vandalized there a few years ago.
This episode of enlightenment was the foundation of Llull thought, art, which he believed gifted to know the precise mechanisms of conversion of infidels. He kept the nickname by which he is known as "Doctor Illuminatus".
|Ramon Llull (Ramon Llull / Raimundo Lulio)|
|The Sanctuary of Cura is closely linked to the name of Ramon Llull (1232-1315).|
Llull was born in Palma de Mallorca in 1232, Catalan parents shortly after the conquest of the island by the Catalans. As the future of St. Francis of Assisi, his youth was hectic and libertine up to the age of thirty. In 1263, he converted after having five times the vision of Christ crucified.
During the ten years that followed Llull devoted himself to his moral and theological training, and learned Arabic with the help of a Muslim slave he had bought.
In 1274, he had an "illumination" on Mount Randa which inspired many books. He then traveled in Europe and North Africa to convert Jews and Muslims.
Raymond Lully died at sea off Majorca, June 29, 1315 return from Tunis to his native island. His body rests in a chapel of the Franciscan Church of Palma.
|Raymond Lull is considered one of the fathers of the Catalan language, he did go from being a dialect of the language and literary language of culture, as it wrote in Latin (as Raimundus Lullus) in Arabic (as رامون لول), and - for most of his 260 publications - in the vernacular Catalan (Ramon Llull).|
Even if it has not been formally beatified, Ramon Llull is venerated as a Blessed and in Catalonia, as a saint.
All about Llull Centre de Documentació Ramon Llull University of Barcelona orbita.bib.ub.edu/ramon/
|Cantic dels Pelegrins de Randa||Song of pilgrims Randa|
Pugem a Cura, l'alt santuari d'on la volada prengué Ramon. És el paratge a on solitari, fent penitència, fugi del món. Facem reviure pel centenari santes memòries que encara hi són. A Cura en vida contemplativa Llull se va veure transfigurat, rebé les armes i força activa per les grans lluites d'apostolat ; i, sensé estudis, a la llum viva quedà fet savi il.luminat. Oh puig de Randa, solar de Cura, d'on sant i savi Ramon sortí, noble peanya de tal figura, que te veneri tot mallorquí, i arreu escampi l'edat futura la llum excelsa brollada aquí !
Miquel Costa i Llobera Palma, 31 maig-4 juny 1915
Climb to Cura, upper sanctuary where the revelation takes Ramon. This is where, lonely, do penance and escape the world. Revived for the centennial sacred memories are still there. At Cura in contemplative life Lull is transfigured lives, received weapons and active force for the great battles of the apostolate and, without looking at the bright light that was illuminated wise. O Mount of Randa, instead of healing, where the saint and scholar Ramon came noble pedestal of such a character that is revered throughout Mallorca and diffuse the time to come the sublime and brilliant light here!
Miquel Costa i Llobera, Palma, May 31-June 4, 1915
|Hours: Monday to Saturday, 10:00 to 13:00 and from 15:30 to 18:00. Closed Sundays and holidays.|
Phone: 00 34 971 660 994
Entry fee: the Franciscan Order is a mendicant order, admission is free, but you must pay her mite in the museum.
Site on the Web: www.santuaridecura.com
|For travelers in search of mysticism, serenity or - simply - a safe atmosphere, it is possible to stay on top of Puig de Cura, the hostelry of the sanctuary. The country inn of Cura has 31 rooms and 4 small apartments, built in 1947 but renovated since… The rooms are spartan comfort, but with a bathroom, TV and WiFi. The apartments have a terrace facing south west with stunning views over the bay of Palma, in the distance.|
Visitors and guests will find a coffee shop, convenient and not too expensive, in the northwest part of the sanctuary, under the arcades. The café has a terrace with a magnificent view of the west Majorca.
The reception from the hotel is on the left of the patio after the entrance of the sanctuary.
Price: € 60 double room, single room € 40 (including breakfast).
Phone: 00 34 971 120 260