Arco de São Jorge is a small town which is stretched at the bottom of vines. The rib stalls climb highest possible with the side of the mountains, almost as far as the eye can see. This area produces the famous sercial, one of the famous Madeira wines.
This quinta has a rosery (Roseiral da Quinta do Arco) which conceals a great diversity of pinks of Portugal (more than thousand varieties and 17,000 rose trees), from which some are rare or in the process of disappearance. Visit in preference to flowering as from May.
This view-point, located at 630 m, before the descent on Arco de São Jorge, offers a wide sight on the coast towards the west, which curves in bay of São Vicente, and on the small valley of Boaventura, staged successive steps of erosion. The treillised vineyards are done many on the most sheltered slopes. In clear weather one can see the island close to Oporto Santo.
Canted means huts: the small unused circular huts that one can see are the vestiges of a project of village which never ended.
One knows that the first colonists came from Algarve and Minho, in Portugal. At the origin, this small village belonged to São Jorge. Then on December 28th, 1676, Arco de São Jorge became a civil parish, taking its name of the surrounding mountains in the form of half-circle.
In tribute to Nossa Senhora da Piedade, Owner of the area, a parish church was set up in 1740. However on March 31st, 1748, an earthquake caused major damage in particular on the church, renovated since.