|Antigua is a city located in the center of the island of Fuerteventura. This central location is provided in part of the prosperity Antigua placed on the road between the historic capital of the island, Betancuria, and the ports of the east coast Caleta de Fuste and Pozo Negro, from where did the bulk of import and export of Fuerteventura.|
The present city of Antigua is the capital of a joint that extends from the center to the east coast of the island of Fuerteventura. This joint comprises, besides the city of Antigua itself, agricultural villages in Triquivijate, Valles de Ortega, Agua de Bueyes and Casillas de Morales, and the resort of Caleta de Fuste, one of the largest resorts in Fuerteventura with its recent extension, Costa de Antigua. With 6,000 inhabitants, Caleta de Fuste is more populated than the capital, Antigua, which has only 2300 inhabitants.
Administratively, the municipality of Antigua is one of the six municipalities of Fuerteventura; like the rest of the island, it is part of the province of Las Palmas (Gran Canaria).
Besides tourism, the town has a thriving agriculture based on large fertile plains in the colors copper, once covered with windmills that produced the “gofio” cereal meal at the base of the traditional diet of Canaries.
These good volcanic soils are lined by “Plaguelands” (malpaís), vast expanses of volcanic rocks, such as Malpaís Chico, from the mountain Gairía, or Malpaís Grande born around Tuineje. In the south, there is also another “Maleterre” called the Malpaís de Toneles.
|Etymology and toponymy|
|As its name suggests, Antigua or La Antigua (“Old”), is one of the oldest towns on the island of Fuerteventura.|
|The city of Antigua is located in the geographic center of the island of Fuerteventura.|
The territory of the municipality of Antigua has an area of 263 km². This territory does not present major reliefs, it is rather flat, consists of vast plains swept by the trade winds; the average altitude is 252 meters above sea level The main peaks to the west in the mountain range. Maninubre part of the Massif Betancuria; the highest point is Mount Morro Janana, with 674 meters high.
The eastern part of the town is separated from the great central plain by a series of peaks and promontories, aligned perpendicular to the coast, forming broad valleys opening to the ocean. In the southeastern part, these valleys are narrower and form ravines. These coastal valleys have fertile agricultural land, especially near Pozo Negro.
The massif of Betancuria (Macizo de Betancuria) separates the town of Antigua in the municipality of Betancuria, located west. North, Antigua borders of the municipality of Puerto del Rosario. South, Antigua is separated from the town of Tuineje by ridges, volcanic flows and the mountains to the coast.
Antigua is located on the FV-20 road from Puerto del Rosario (20 km northeast) to Tiscamanita (9 km south) in Tuineje (13 km south) and to the south coast. FV-416 road connects Antigua to Betancuria within 10 km.
Latitude Antigua: 28.41667 (28 ° 25 ’) North
Longitude of Antigua: 14.01667 (14 ° 1 ’) West
Elevation: 230 m.
| The town of Antigua|
|Antigua is the oldest town on the island of Fuerteventura; it was founded in 1485 by Norman and Andalusian colonists, but a Guanche locality was already there.|
In this long history remain the typical houses of the peasants of the region, caseríos, modest homes including single level buildings in L or U, with a single floor or at most a small attic, walls of bare stone or whitewashed, few openings and a type of flat roof adobe. But the village also housed for centuries, important families of the agricultural bourgeoisie that enriched themselves by cultivating cereals on large tracts of land and exporting grain to the other islands of the Canaries. The bourgeoisie had built large square houses with many rooms, one or two floors, a tiled roof, balconies and decorative stones. Today some of these ancient houses, some restored, recall the glorious past of the municipality of Antigua.
Civil architecture also includes mills like those of Antigua, from La Corte, and Valles de Ortega, and lime kilns as those found in La Guirra and La Torre.
Religious architecture Town contains some notable buildings such as the Notre Dame d ’ Antigua and St. Isidore the Ploughman chapels in Triquivijate, Saint-Roch in Casillas de Morales, Our Lady of Guadeloupe in Agua de Bueyes and St. Francis Xavier in Las Pocetas.
|The Church of Our Lady of La Antigua (Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de La Antigua)|
|The Church of Our Lady of La Antigua is the most important patrimony of Antigua; the church was built from the early seventeenth century, replacing a former chapel established from the beginning of the sixteenth century, a century after the settlers arrived in Fuerteventura.|
At the end of the sixteenth century, in 1593, Antigua was destroyed by an attack by Barbary pirates; in the early seventeenth century, during the reconstruction of the village, it was decided to enlarge the old chapel and into church for the people of Antigua became numerous; However, the village still depended on the parish of Betancuria. 1615, a sacristy and an altar were added to the old chapel. In 1629, a Barbican was built around the church to protect it from future attacks; Barbican this has now disappeared. The bell tower was built in the eighteenth century. The Church of Our Lady of La Antigua became a parish church in 1785, when Antigua became independent of Betancuria.
The church of Nuestra Señora de la Antigua has external Franciscan influences. The red volcanic rock of the island has been used extensively in the construction of gates and the bell tower of square and topped with a dome.
|Inside of Mozarabic style, the church has a single nave covered by a wooden ceiling in the Mudejar style, made of pine Canary.|
|Our Lady of La Antigua has a few works of art of value: the altarpiece of “Nuestra Señora de La Antigua” in green and pink polychrome plaster of the eighteenth century; in the central niche of the altarpiece is the image of Our Lady of La Antigua; in the niche left, a statue of St. Joseph, carved polychrome seventeenth century; the “Cuadro de Ánimas”, an oil painting on canvas of the eighteenth century, is located on the wall of the Gospel. We also note a polychrome wooden pulpit.|
Visiting hours: 10 am to 14 pm.
| The Town Hall (Ayuntamiento)|
| The Church of the Holy Cross in Los Caldos (Iglesia de Santa Cruz de los Caldos)|
|The church of Santa Cruz de los Caldos, built in 1785, dominates the city.|
|The Mill Craft Centre (Centro de Artesanía El Molino)||The Cactus Garden|
|The Art and Craft Centre is located on the site of an old windmill located at the northern entrance of the city of Antigua.|
Go to Centre of Craft Mill.
|The site of the old mill of Antigua also hosts a cactus garden.|
Go to Cactus Garden Antigua.
|The village of Triquivijate|
|The village of Triquivijate is located in the plains of Antigua, in the east of the town, where practical agriculture and cattle breeding. The village is located on the FV-413 road that connects the capital of Antigua with the resorts of Costa Antigua and Caleta de Fuste.|
Triquivijate is mostly visited for its chapel dedicated to St. Isidore the Laborer (Ermita de San Isidro Labrador). This chapel of the eighteenth century was completed in 1715. This is a building with simple lines with doors to arch and a single nave.
La Ermita de San Isidro Labrador has a three-panel altarpiece; the central panel is a painting of the eighteenth century representing scenes of St. Isidore life.
|The village of Las Pocetas|
|The hamlet of Las Pocetas is located 3 km southeast of Antigua. It has a chapel dedicated to St. Francis Xavier (Ermita de San Francisco Javier), built around 1770; its bell tower was added in 1804.|
|The village of Valles de Ortega|
|The village of Valles de Ortega is located 5 km south of Antigua, between two ravines, the Barranco Negro and the Barranco de Majada Blanca (“White Sheepfold”).|
St. Roch chapel you can visit (Ermita de San Roque), built around the middle of the eighteenth century. Inside, an altarpiece has a polychrome wooden statuette of St. Roch and another representing St. John the Baptist; a small oil painting depicts Christ with Mary Magdalene lying at his feet.
|The village of Casillas de Morales|
|The village of Casillas de Morales is still located a little further south than Valles de Ortega. This is a group of houses scattered among irrigation canals.|
|The village of Agua de Bueyes|
|Agua de Bueyes (literally "water horse”) is 7.5 km south of Antigua, on the FV-20 road, and 3 km northeast of Tiscamanita. It is the only village in the municipality which is not situated in the plain, but in a hillside setting at the foot of the Massif Betancuria, northwest, and Caldera de Gairía (461 m), south East.|
This area of ridges and ravines contains important populations of prickly pears; prickly pear (Opuntia ficus-indica), named locally tuneras are generally infected by an insect, cochineal (Dactylopius coccus), which is extracted once a popular dye.
At Agua de Bueyes you can visit the Chapel of Our Lady of Guadeloupe (Ermita de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe), a building whose construction began in the seventeenth century, in 1642; its final appearance was given to 1770-1773 with the construction of a bell tower.
The Chapel of Our Lady of Guadeloupe is one of the few churches in Fuerteventura whose court is surrounded by a crenellated wall, indicating a Franciscan influence. One enters the courtyard through a gate covered by a semicircular arch; above the gate of the wall enclosing the stonemason took time to sculpt three medallions with ornamental decorations, such as are found nowhere else on Fuerteventura, and that art historians do not know how to interpret .
The building has a single nave, which backs onto the sacristy on the north wall. The entrance gate is made of red stone with a round arch surmounted by a carved stone with a cross.
The interior - with a wooden ceiling - houses two altarpieces: a small altarpiece, in polychrome wood with geometric and floral motifs, and an altarpiece bigger, directed by the painter Juan Bautista Bolaños, located in the apse of the Chapel. The central panel is recessed where a statuette of Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe, a Mexican statuette given to the island in 1759. Left and right, polychrome wooden statues of “Saint John the Baptist” and "St. Anthony of Padua." The chapel is usually closed to visitors.
For residents of Agua de Bueyes, the statue of the Virgin of Guadeloupe is known as the Virgin of rain (Virgen de la Lluvia). Towards the end of the eighteenth century, after several months of drought, the inhabitants carried in procession the image of the patron saint of the village through arid fields, imploring the Virgin Mary to intervene against the lack of rain; tradition says that it had begun to rain on the way back, even before he brought the statue in the church. To commemorate this event every year about February 28, held the Festival of Water (Fiesta del Agua): villagers in traditional costumes, knocking loudly goat bones for rain, singing songs traditional Canarian.
|Natural Monument of the Caldera de Gairía (Monumento Natural de la Caldera de Gairía)|
|Natural Monument of the Caldera de Gairía (“Chaudière Gairía”) is a protected natural area that includes the type of volcano Strombolian Gairía or Gayría (461 m high) and the lava field from the volcano, named the Malpaís Chico. It is a recent eruption volcano (between 50 000 and 25 000 years).|
This natural monument is divided between the municipalities of Antigua and Tuineje.
|The Protected Landscape of Malpaís Grande (Paisaje Protegido de Malpaís Grande)|
|The Protected Landscape of Malpaís Grande is shared between the municipalities of Antigua and Tuineje. Southwest of the town of Antigua, many form of “U” shaped valleys served as beds for the cast of the latest volcanic lava that formed the Malpaís Chico (“Little Maleterre”) and the Malpaís Grande (“Great Maleterre ”), there are about 10,000 years. The washing - cooling - created the bizarre shapes that differ substantially from older rock strata.|
The Malpaís Grande, located further south, is an impressive character desert landscape, with amazing lava flows caused by the eruptions of the volcano Toneles. These lava flows reached the coast by the Barranco de Pozo Negro. The highest mountain is the mountain of the Caldera de los Arrabales to 201 m.
For an overview of Malpaís Grande, we can - from Tiscamanita, near the bus stop - take a track that goes towards the southeast. After 3 km you turn right, then after 400 m, we reach the Caldera de la Laguna which is extracted from volcanic ash used as fertilizer for crops. Since the Caldera de la Laguna you can admire the Malpaís Grande.
Found in “Plaguelands” of Malpaís Grande some interesting plant species such as the tree tobacco (Nicotiana glauca), named locally mimo, and passerine bristling (Thymelaea hirsuta), named aulaga, while its most characteristic fauna is a gecko, the taranto (Tarentola mauritanica) appointed perenquén.
| The Guanche village of La Atalayita|
|On the northern edge of Malpaís Grande, near Pozo Negro, visit a village at the time of the Guanches; go to the village of La Atalayita.|
| Natural Monument of Los Cuchillos de Vigán (Monumento Natural de los Cuchillos de Vigán)|
|Located along the coast in the southeast of the town of Antigua, the Monument Natural los Cuchillos de Vigán is shared between the municipalities of Tuineje and Antigua.|
|Antigua is one of the oldest towns on the island of Fuerteventura: it was founded in 1485 by Norman and Andalusian settlers, shortly after the conquest of the island.|
From the mid-sixteenth century Antigua tried to separate from its neighbor, Betancuria, much more populated. In the eighteenth century Antigua became the most prosperous city of Fuerteventura through the cultivation of cereals. In the nineteenth century, tensions with Betancuria reached their climax up to armed demonstrations between the two cities, which necessitated the intervention of the militia to restore order.
During the nineteenth century Antigua became even - for a short time - the seat of the Judiciary Island Fuerteventura.
|Tourism has become the main economic activity with the resort of Caleta de Fuste, one of the most important tourist centers of the island of Fuerteventura.|
However, the traditional economy of the municipality was based on agriculture, rainfed and irrigated, producing wheat, barley, millet, lentils, chickpeas, potatoes, tomatoes, fodder, and now aloe. Livestock farming is also important. Coastal fishing is restricted mainly to the port of Pozo Negro.
|The tourism office|
|Address: Calle Juan Ramón Soto Morales, 10 - 35610 Antigua|
Phone: 00 34 928 163 286
Open Monday to Friday from 9 am to 14 pm.
|Weather and forecasts|
|The fair takes place from September second weekend.|
| Hotel Rural Era de la Corte|
|This residence of the late nineteenth century was transformed into a charming rural hotel. The 11 boutique rooms are all different, with satellite TV. There is also a lounge, a pool, a tennis court and a garden.|
Prices: Single room: 48 €; double room: 90 €
Address: Calle El Corte 1
Phone: 00 34 928 878 705
Site on the Web: www.eradelacorte.com